We're cutting the Vince Guaraldi Trio "A Charlie Brown Christmas" at 45 RPM today...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I received all the components I need and the project is a go. Just in time for NEXT Christmas, heh. It's hard to believe that the production work parts still exist for the songs that were ruined on the two track. I'm happy that I can keep everything analog and not have to remix anything. The damaged parts of the master all were redubs from 15 two track recordings (like Christmastime Is Here-Vocal version). Yes, this means we can splice this right in to the master reel and do our cutting in real time analog without having to do any "fixing" in the digital domain. And I don't have to do any remixing which I was not looking forward to; the original mixes have a charm and character that is totally lacking on the three-tracks. That tube-to-tube synergy thing that happens during a vintage mixdown session is something that you cannot easily recreate when you remix today. That charm is missing and you do miss it when you don't hear it after hearing it for so many years.

At any rate, this is still going to be a bitch to cut but I love the music so it's going to be fun, in a tense sort of way....

Hopefully I'll be able to offer this set as a Forum giveaway next year..

2. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

3. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

"I never thought it was such a bad little tree...Maybe it just needs a little love."
    With all of the press this year about the 40th anniversary of "A Charlie Brown Christmas",it is amazing the impact of these few minutes of piano jazz have had on the American public. One could point to Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall,to the greatest jazz concert ever with Dizzy and Bird,et al at Massey Hall and even the Monk/Trane Carnegie Hall show just made available to the general public; to attempts by Norman Granz to bring jazz to a philharmonic audience and it's probable that none of these events and their recorded legacies add up to the influence of those precious minutes on a public that had rarely heard this type of music.
    There's nothing earth shattering about the performances and yet this music is as familiar to the masses as the taste of Coca-Cola,the first sponsor of the TV special.
    On another music forum,I found myself amazed when one of the tracks to the show is played on one of those all-Christmas stations. No matter how the genres are mixed with mashing Christmas music,those brushes on drumheads always seem a bit jarring and out of place at first,but like the Charlie Brown story itself,seem so appropriate by the end of the song. Mac

CDFanatic, Cracklebarrel and eb2jim like this.
  4. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Steve,

This may be a dopey question but, will this new "remaster" you are doing be available for sale to the general public prior to next Christmas?

Can't wait to give it a listen!

Licorice pizza likes this.
  5. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Great news Steve!! I really can't wait for this one... :edthumbs:

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Now that's something to put on next years Christmas list.

7. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

I a'm so all over this release. Peace Todd

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Well, Steve at least you are cutting this at the right time of the year!

9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Better get on the pre-order list NOW!

John k.

10. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Steve, by "production work parts", do you mean the tape used for the production of the LP? Was it EQed at all? How much of the two track is ruined? IIRC, it's just the beginning minute or so of those two songs?

Also, I am glad that you're cutting it at this time of year, you can 'mix' in some real holiday spirit!

12. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

I don't have a turntable and I think I'll be ordering this. :)

13. reverber

reverber Senior Member

I worked in record stores for fifteen years, and this is the only Christmas album I never got tired of hearing. It always seemed to bring a smile to the customers' faces... And year after year it remained one our best selling Christmas albums.

Cody

14. stever

stever Senior Member

Just incredible news, Steve. I've never purchased a 45rpm 12" record before, but I absolutely love this music. Would this be a 2-LP set then, with music on four sides?

15. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I'll be waiting impatiently for this one!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

16. oldcuster

oldcuster Senior Member

:agree:

This is great news! :edthumbs:

17. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

"Christmastime is Here" is such a wonderful song that accurately captures the warmth of Christmas. Such a great standalone piece of music. I look forward to this very much. And thank you.

18. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Yes. Check this out for info:
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/fantasyjazz.cfm?&banner_id=422

The 45 rpm series is wonderful. I have quite a few but too bad I can't afford all of them. I'll be adding Charlie Brown Christmas to my must have list. I don't see it on their website. But I thought I saw it earlier, maybe it was in their print catalog?

19. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

Steve, you have a very cool job. Sounds like you enjoy it, too.

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

On the complete opposite side of the scale, listen to this remix of Christmas Time Is Here From the compilation "Merry Mixmas"

:hurl: :hurl:

21. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

This news, I think, counts as a Christmas present for us all!

22. Steve Hoffman

2 12" discs cut at 45 RPM. Spreads the music out on four sides instead of two. More of a hassle to change sides but this gives the cutter the ability to cut a more dynamic side. The headroom increases as the speed increases. Wait until you hear the 78 RPM version. :)

As you all know, the piano is the hardest instrument to record properly and it is the hardest instrument to cut or master properly. The tones of a piano show no mercy. Gulp.

23. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Will there be a SACD for those unfortunate souls (like me) who don't own an LP player?

24. Steve Hoffman

No, just the 45 RPM version, sorry!

25. oldcuster

oldcuster Senior Member

Hey, he's giving us a years' notice. :agree: :thumbsup:

bordons likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.