We're cutting the Vince Guaraldi Trio "A Charlie Brown Christmas" at 45 RPM today...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANALOGFOREVER

ANALOGFOREVER Member

The AP 33 is pretty good. Chad will make them again. Most everything done at 45 is awesome.

Except the RR 45s. They are from a 192k file. Ask me how I know this...................................

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

If you have the 45rpm, you're all set. Those who have KG's 33 say that the 45 is better.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  3. AnalogJ

Resonance Records or Reference Records? If the former, well we know that ALL of their records are digitally mastered.

4. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Thanks for the answer I was looking for Analog!

5. ANALOGFOREVER

ANALOGFOREVER Member

Reference................

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  6. AnalogJ

Oh. I have spoken with the executives there. They often get iffier sources and prefer getting the hiss and other artifacts taken out.

kt66brooklyn and SoundDoctor like this.
  7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I just got the 2017 reissue with the original artwork. Haven’t got the KG copy to compare it with but it sounds great, highly recommended.

8. AnalogJ

Well it was really well recorded to begin with. But the leap in presence, space, and inner detail with the 45 is impressive.

9. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Yeah, I got VERY lucky this week.... Snagged it from a site brand-new for $39.99! I was gonna give a heads-up to the rest of you, but I just went back and apparently I snagged the only (last??) one.....
    Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas LP NEW 200G

Might be worth getting on their Wishlist tho? Who knows....

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  10. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

I bought the AP 33 1/3 off Amazon.ca last month, and just finished listening to it for the first time.

Sounded amazing!

broshfab4 likes this.
  11. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I bought the last copy amazon.de had in stock and listened to it for the first time yesterday. What a fantastic record! I love the full bodied sound of the piano. Kind of hard to believe the 45 could be way superior.

Xander2017 likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

Happy Chrismahanukkwanzikah to all.

Just listened to the 45 last night. Amazing depth, presence, and spaciousness. Also noticed something that is particularly revealing with 45s, and that is the punch of the piano. You really hear the weight and impact of the strike of the piano keys. Talking with Nate at Acoustic Sounds, he was telling me that this was the main difference between the 33 and 45 of Nina Simone's, Little Girl Blue reissues. It's the speed and impact of the transient information that is quite a bit more apparent with the 45 vs the 33.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

r e o p e n e d b y r e q u e s t .

14. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Forum Resident

Wow, brings back some great childhood memories. Charlie Brown was my favorite of all time. Glad I bought the 33 rpm Analogue Productions when it was still in print. I also have Charlie Brown Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas on 4k bluray disc which I watch every holiday season.

Michael Macrone and Keith V like this.
  15. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I got the 33 Kevin Gray cut three years ago and it’s been the present-opening soundtrack, evolving into a tradition, three years in a row since. It’s already become very special to me

16. inaudible

inaudible Forum Resident

I picked up the 45 on Ebay a few months ago—very nice.

Do you think the tapes are really beat as some say? I feel like another AAA 45 release could sell a lot more than 500 these days

jumpinjulian likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Beat? Beats me.. Only the opening of side one and side two had any oxide damage, and that can easily be fixed..

inaudible, jumpinjulian and AnalogJ like this.
  18. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

Wow. I just got my hands on a copy of this 45 RPM after years of wishing. (It hasn’t arrived yet). And I’m reading back through the thread and your comments on the process.

I did not expect to find the answer to - what I have long perceived a mystery - the question regarding the artwork and CBS! Between that and the information about the reels being unmarked, this post alone is fascinating!

Can’t wait to finally listen to the holy grail pressing of one of my favorite LPs.

AnalogJ and petercw2 like this.
  19. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

Steve, is there an obvious reason why AP doesn't repress the 45rpm considering the interest since the market has jumped the original run to such extremes? Is it a contractual issue/limit or is there some other business reason I'm not smart enough/privvy to? thanks. hope to own one someday.

superstar19 and Embracetheday like this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

It's a great album, most kid's introduction to jazz. Holds up well.

Embracetheday likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

I have no idea what their deal was with Fantasy. But Concord is the owner now so I'm sure it's a different story..

petercw2 likes this.
  22. AnalogJ

Right. Now that Craft is in charge, they seem to be doing their own thing with reissuing albums. I won't be surprised to see a release of some sort closer to the end of the year.

23. AndrewSlattery

AndrewSlattery Forum Resident

Geez I wish they re-issue the 45! For those who missed it the 2017 in print is pretty awesome. Confirmed that the first half is at least AAA the second half had a little digital fixing to repair the drop out by @amsrie who cut it. Also pressed at QRP and has a beautiful tip on jacket. Sounds amazing.

Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas

Kevin Gray also recently cut a AAA version of A Boy called Charlie Brown. Also sounds incredible.

Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Boy Named Charlie Brown

Both in print at Acoustic Sounds for $25-30

24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Where's this confirmation? Please provide a link from a reliable source.

25. AndrewSlattery

AndrewSlattery Forum Resident

Fantasy OJC (Original Jazz Classics) vinyl reissues question: Analog or digital cut?

amsrie
    "I am glad that you like it!, but it needs to be admitted, the 2017 cut is digital, the B side is at least. The reason is that I needed to do some extra work because of B1, the Christmas time is here (vocal) song. On every single copy there is a dropout at around 1:20 1:30 seconds. The issue is on the source, on the tape and on every single release. To fix it I had to do quite a research to look for alternative sources/takes and the fixing process required in-box-processing (Splicing the tape was out of the question). So the 2017 B side is digital, but it is also the only existing copy of the Christmas time is here that does not have the drop-out. We always try to keep as close to the source as we can, but on that rare occasion I could not help myself... Didn't tell George, or the producer, but now everyone knows :D"

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.