Were “Lost” Dark Shadows Eps Used In 70s Films?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mark Wilson, Sep 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you watch the Dark Shadows video sets, you know that several videotapes were lost over time and kinescope copies have been used in their place.

I’m only up to the point where Dr. Hoffman’s experiments have drastically aged Barnabas (no spoilers after this point please!!)

But, I’ve noticed that since the switch from B&W to color, the number of kinescope’s have increased quite a bit to maybe 1 in every 5-6 episodes. (On the B&W sets it was roughly 1 in 40.)

I understand the 70s movies like House Of Dark Shadows reuse footage from the original series and I’m starting to wonder if some of the ‘lost’ episodes were actually cut up or damaged somehow in the process, rather than misplaced or something? Anyone ever hear anything like that? I assume they could’ve copied footage as well first and then assembled the movies from that, but again I’m just surprised by the sudden increase after color.

Thanks.

Mark

2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I’ve never known that they reused footage from the series for the movies. The series was on tape and the movies were shot on film. It would have been very difficult to match the footage.

They also shot on location for the movies which would contrast with the simplicity and cheapness of the TV sets even more.

Darren Gross has written numerous books on DS and he’s never mentioned anything about it, so I’m skeptical that it occurred.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Mark Wilson

Oh wow, sorry my mistake! Thanks for the info.

I was always under the impression that those movies weren’t really new productions, just scenes from the original episodes reassembled to ‘create’ a movie. The first one follows the original story line closely so maybe that’s what confused me. I hadn’t watched or read about it too closely to avoid spoilers.

Still curious about the increase in lost eps, but know that’s not the reason. Thanks!

Mark

4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The series was in its last season when HOUSE hit the theatres. Several of the cast were going back and forth from the TV set to the location shooting in Tarrytown, NY.

The increased amount of blood and explicitness of the movie is thought to have contributed to the end of the series.

The second feature was a major production for Curtis but time constraints forced him to cut around 30 minutes from NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS. The footage was thought to be lost until Darren Gross’ investigative work turned it up. It had no sound but the surviving actors dubbed their lines in hopes of a restoration. Unfortunately, there’s been no money or interest in it happening.

DigMyGroove and Mark Wilson like this.
  5. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

I recommend you watch both movies because they are both legitimate film presentations, do not recycle any footage from the tv show, and are both good. Granted, House is stronger than Night. Both occur in a continuity seperate from the show, so you don't have to worry about spoilers.

Culpa and Mark Wilson like this.
  6. Mark Wilson

Thanks for the extra info! Really interesting and I’ll have to look Darren up.

Mark

7. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

:tsk:
    Separate continuity = "parallel time". :p

jwoverho, Thwacko and Mark Wilson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.