Were The Lovin' Spoonful the US equivalent of The Kinks?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lord Rocker, Nov 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

I'm thinking of 'Daydream' and thinking yes, it does have a Kinks feel to it. I can imagine Ray singing it.
    Both great bands.

Jonny W, scottc1963 and Lord Rocker like this.
  2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The Spoonful had a lifetime of only three real albums, so it’s hard to compare, but they also never released anything as bad as the Kinks’ albums during their bad patch in the 70s. Remember Preservation?

3. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

You could argue that The Kinks only released 3 decent albums. Most people know both bands via compilations.

4. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

good album!
    Three decent albums? That's ridiculous.

There is a song by song Kinks thread going on where many would highly disagree with this statement. Preservation is up next!

GarySteel and scottc1963 like this.
  5. Lord Rocker

I don't consider that to be one of their great album but anyway the point is really that they were not an album band in the way that the Beatles, Stones, Zep etc were. They sold poorly and were poorly promoted. Compilations galore. Like the Spoonful they were signed to relatively small fry labels compared to the big names of the time. There you go there's another similarity.

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Spoonful were kind of superficial, compared with the Kinks who had all kinds of social and
    political commentary going on in their songs. Spoonful were like teeny-bop (imo).

7. palisantrancho

The Kinks are probably the most album oriented band of anyone you listed. Nearly everyone is a concept that follows some sort of theme or story line. When they first started they were a singles band, but so was everyone else. The Kinks were not able to tour the US so that hurt sales. I also think they were a bit too sophisticated for main stream audiences.

I'm not knocking The Lovin' Spoonful. I have all their albums and I am a fan. I just don't see much comparison.

GarySteel likes this.
  8. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

The Lovin’ Spoonful were the American precursor to the Swiss band Celtic Frost.

:laugh:

[​IMG]

9. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

You could. And you could also argue that the Earth is flat and the the female orgasm is a myth.

To be slightly more serious (even if I don't have to): the Kinks to me have quite a few really great albums more than the Stones (even if the four best Stones records beats any competition). I think the Beatlers (and the Beach Boys pre-Smile) are vastly overrated by the old codgers here on the Hoff. And even as a huge fan of Zeppelin, I would say that the Kinks have a stronger catalogue than them, as well. As for the Spoonyfullies, they don't really register with my generation. Too hippie and not iconic enough, I guess.

Then again, these are just opinions. As is any other post on the subject.

palisantrancho likes this.
  10. Lord Rocker

I would suggest you listen again then

Dwight Fry, Vangro and Chris Schoen like this.
  11. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Preservation is not one of their decent albums though! Ceratinly not Act II anyway.

12. palisantrancho

I don’t agree as you will soon find out.

ajsmith and GarySteel like this.
  13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have original Kama Sutra vinyl, they are great. Not exactly Pink Floyd, ya know?... :unhunh::laugh::sigh:

GarySteel likes this.
  14. Terry

Terry Senior Member

No

Regandron likes this.
  15. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

"Daydream" and "Sunny Afternoon" are like Transatlantic twins but completely different at the same time due to their extremely dissimilar authors!

ajsmith and Jonny W like this.
  16. Lord Rocker

There's nothing at all 'hippie' about their music. Again the question isn't which band was better than the other or was more successful.

17. Lord Rocker

Not exactly 'teeny-bop' either. They literally recorded a song about looking at teen culture from the concerned perspective of a middle aged parent.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Kinks Kontroversy
    Face To Face
    Something Else
    Village Green Preservation Society
    Arthur
    Lola Vs. Powerman
    Muswell Hillbillies

All of the above are great albums.

19. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Completely different vibe.

Another Steve likes this.
  20. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

I couldn't care less about their popularity, but once again: even if I'm only 33 I knew the name of at least four Kinks records even before becoming a fan and well before I graduated from high school.

Still don't know any by the Loving Spoonful other than a couple of song titles. As I was trying to explain in a somewhat smart alec-y way, the Kinks are considered part of the canon of classic rock and their songs are used in movies and commercials. They've also have stayed fresher than their contemporaries because they've had less exposure for a long time- Partially because they broke up too late, ironically.

21. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

I would add Showbiz, Sleepwalker and Word of Mouth to that list, as well.

ralphb likes this.
  22. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The Kinks were signed to Reprise in the States.
    They were just as much an album band as any you listed.

palisantrancho likes this.
  23. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

With "Younger Generation" and "Old Folks" (and maybe even "Money" and "Only Pretty...") they were getting into a lyrical place that was not only deeper, but really original. It's a shame John Sebastian left, which effectively ended the group. Had they had time to mature, who knows where they might have went.

And that fourth album is way underrated. It might be a bit haphazard and experimental, but when it's good it's really, really good.

905 likes this.
  24. No. I think definitely not. Where the Kinks were inline with other British Invasion groups of the early 60's, I would put them closer to the Rolling Stones.
    As for the Loving Spoonful, they were in-tune with the Greenwich Village pop/folk and jug band scene. I would link them with The Mama's and The Papa's, who also had roots in the same Greenwich Village scene.

Another Steve likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's how I see it and I love the Spoonful. I have all their albums. The first three are excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.