Were The Lovin' Spoonful the US equivalent of The Kinks?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lord Rocker, Nov 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

You don't know any Lovin' Spoonful songs but you know they are too 'hippie' and also with this in mind why are you offering a response to my original question? It's better to know their music before offering an opinion. I would have thought. Give em a listen- you might be surprised. Both bands are great. That's not in doubt. I think you'll also find that both bands music are often used on films and commercials if that's a measure of something to you.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

In terms of licensing, I'd want to own Summer in the City and Do You Believe in Magic over any two Kinks songs. No comment on the relative qualities of the bands, but those two songs are licensing gold.

Vangro likes this.
  3. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

How could the Stones be closer to being the American equivalent of The Kinks? Is this a language issue? I'm British so have to wonder if the proposition is too nuanced...perhaps a tad pretentious. I thought I had set out my reasoning in the OP. Clearly not!

Let's stick with NO THE KINKS ARE BETTER THAN THE LOVIN' SPOONFUL AND DON'T SOUND NUFFIN LIKE EM!

Night night

4. Well, as for an American group comparable to The Kinks, that might be Dino, Desi and Billy of the same era. As for choosing what to comment, looking at the title of this thread,
    Were The Lovin' Spoonful the US equivalent of The Kinks?
    Definitely NO!

Another Steve likes this.
  5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Ray kinda looks a bit like J. Sebastian here imo:

Nik Cohn compared Sebastian to Davies as long ago as 1969 in his book Awopbopaloobop. I agree there are some simlarities in the lazy sound they had going on and how unashamedly down at heel and gimmick free they sounded compared to most of their contemporaries circa 1966. But it’s really just for that one year (and maybe 1967 too) that they could be considered equivalents.

Taxman likes this.
  6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Meh, not exactly heavy stuff. I do like "Night Owl Blues". They were capable, but I think more interested in A.M. radio "hits"..

7. INSW

INSW Senior Member

American bands comparable to The Kinks would be The Byrds, The Beach Boys, The Band or CCR.

8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Too nuanced for this forum I'm afraid.

9. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

You think the Kinks weren't interested in hit singles?

Chris Schoen likes this.
  10. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

The Kinks albums sold poorly in the UK with only a handful charting over their long career and not setting the heather alight either- their singles fared much better

11. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

I can concede similarities but there really has never been anyone like Ray Davies. I think he is just a wholly unique individual and one of a kind.

some individuals are sui generis

12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Sure, who wouldn't. But I think the Kinks were a bit more daring in what they wrote songs about.
    Frankly, English people probably had more personal gripes (economy, unemployment, post-WWII fatigue, etc...)
    than Americans did in the early-mid 70's. That's why Punk came along, it was a rejection of all that.

13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I do. But I prefer to remember when they came roaring back with 'Sleepwalker', ' Misfits' and 'Low Budget'. Love those albums.

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The first Preservation album is very good, the second not so much. However, the shows I saw in 1974 at the Felt Forum based around those albums were fantastic.

LandHorses, GarySteel and Steve62 like this.
  15. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there were a few things to gripe about in the US in the mid-to-late 60s!

16. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

17. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Meh....what's a few race riots, political assassinations, college campus unrest and the Vietnam War? Just another boring decade in these parts. Sort of like the 1950s but on acid.

18. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

that's pretty much garbage. The Kinks had a whole string of critically acclaimed albums

Steve62 likes this.
  19. Kaptain Beyond

Kaptain Beyond Forum Resident

I think that the big difference is the Lovin Spoonful basically only lasted like three years. Their last album Everything Playing is good, but it plays like a band that’s done. Zally was already gone. Had they lasted, had Zally stayed for say ten years instead of two who knows what they might have got up to. They also never had a decent recording budget, everything was done on the quick. They never got to make their Smile, or Odyssey and Oracle, Notorious Byrd Brothers. The Kinks went on much longer, they changed and added members along the way. Such different stories the two bands. I don’t see any connection between the two. I think the Spoonful had more pixie dust and poof it was over. I only wish they had lasted as long as the Kinks who got to make all kinds of records and try all kinds of different things and succeed and fail and keep going.

Bill and ajsmith like this.
  20. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

I would add "Everything Playing" to the list. A very underrated album, IMO.

Kaptain Beyond, 905 and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like it too, a lot of great songs, but it suffers from no Zal.

Kaptain Beyond and Dandelion1967 like this.
  22. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

Yes, without a doubt, with Jerry Yester they became a totally different group, I'm not going to evaluate if they were better or worse, but different. Zal was a guitar plalyer and Jerry was more of an arranger and that is very noticeable on the album.

I have to say that "Close Your Eyes" is one of my 5 favourite songs of their entire discography.

Kaptain Beyond likes this.
  23. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

24. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

I shall and hopefully I will :) Any recommendations?

The comment about being used in commercials and movies wasn't meant as anything other than a measure of why the Kinks has perhaps grown in stature. Also when I mentioned my age, it should perhaps be an indicatior as to why a (for me) pretty obscure band with a short career compared to the other one mentioned, could seem quaint, of its time or 'hippie-'ish judging by picture on ze interwebs. This is pretty normal human behaviour. No offense was intended.

English is not my first language and as such it is not always easy to express subtleties in language and know which words to choose in the same way as I could in my own to make my point easier to grasp. I am however pretty sure that you would run into a similar problem if it was the other way around ;)

25. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Gary your English grammar and syntax is far superior than 90% of native speakers and certainly better than 95% of American's who continue to bastardise the language

GarySteel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.