Were The Monkees the biggest group in the world at one point?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RedRoseSpeedway, Jun 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover Thread Starter

Inspired by the Oasis thread of the same topic, I ask the forum members this question:

Were The Monkees ever the biggest group in the world at one point?

Specifically, the year 1967.

They had four straight number one albums in a row, starting with their debut “The Monkees” released near the end of 1966, with their next three albums, “More of The Monkees”, “Headquarters”, and “Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.” all reaching the top spot in the USA in 1967. The first three albums also went to number 1 in Canada, and the first two also went to number 1 in the U.K. as well. There is also the claim that The Monkees outsold The Beatles and The Rolling Stones combined in 1967, although Mike Nesmith claimed to have made this up. During their initial run (in which they were releasing albums) from 1966-1970, they also had a few number one singles, and many other hits that charted high around the world, most notably “I’m A Believer” which went to number 1 in at least 11 different countries.

Then we have the TV show, which was groundbreaking and a hit at the time, and won an Emmy.

They embarked on a rather large USA/UK tour in 1967, with Jimi Hendrix opening for them during a few dates in the USA! Monkeemania was in full effect, and unless someone points out credible evidence to suggest otherwise, I believe they briefly became the biggest group in the world. What do you think?

(Although I know this argument is going to pop up, let’s try to abstain from arguing about whether they could write or play, as there is a mountain of evidence against the myth that they couldn’t and it is not the intended discussion of this thread)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

3. sw61139

sw61139 Well-Known Member

marmalade likes this.
  4. RedRoseSpeedway

joy stinson, seed_drill and sw61139 like this.
  5. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

The Monkees were very possibly the biggest band in the world in those years.......for kids 12 and younger. I was there, had their early albums in mono, and they were huge.

Once I got a little older, though, they were kind of a 'gateway band' to The Beatles, and more serious rock then after.

A wonderful start on a life-long love of music, though, so I'll give them that. Fond memories, and good times.

6. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Wasn’t there an insect band that was rather large in 1967? Also, a rolling stone gathers no moss.

Before my time, but I am going with NO to your question.

7. RedRoseSpeedway

The Monkees sold very mightily that year, and had a hit tv show. Also helped that they were touring at that point and The Beatles weren’t.

joy stinson, pudgym, Drifter and 3 others like this.
  8. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Another studio created bubblegum band. So just no

9. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Well it would have to be between late 1966 and the first half of 1967 before Sgt. Pepper came out if they were. Overall for the year of 1967 though while The Monkees had the #1 album for a ton of weeks in 1967, The Beatles personally knocked them off with an album that changed the genre from being singles-oriented to album-oriented and that was enormous. With some still calling "Strawberry Fields Forever"/"Penny Lane" the greatest single ever, that helps the Beatles case for the 1967 overall. Late 1966 though, The Beatles were wading in hot water.
    :-popcorn:

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  10. RedRoseSpeedway

Whether one likes them or not wasn’t the question though. It’s about the amount of success they had, which was very large to say the least.

11. RedRoseSpeedway

Your popcorn emoji is noted, I’m sure this will get interesting!

WilliamWes likes this.
  12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think it is always going to be difficult to pinpoint a biggest band in the world at specific points.
    The Monkees were big, and perhaps biggest band in the US, but I'm not sure it crossed over to biggest in the world, even though they were popular.

14. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

The Monkees had the number one album in America for 29 weeks in 1967, second place was the Beatles with 15 weeks. "More of the Monkees" was the best selling album of the year in the usa. So it seems like The Monkees could definitely have been the biggest band in America in that year. The rest of the world, I don't know, did they sell much in The UK, Canada, Australia etc...? if so, i think its entirely possible they were the biggest band in the world that year.

15. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Voted yes, and they were, albeit briefly.

Viewers in the USA and U.K. are probably not aware how huge Monkeemania was in Australia and Japan in 67 - 68.

At that time, The Beatles and Stones had become serious musicians and alienated younger fans to a degree. Enter the Monkees - good pop music, groundbreaking TV show, good looking, fun loving boys all. How could they not be the most popular band in the world?

16. RedRoseSpeedway

Nicely put! Some users on here have the notion that if you were popular with mostly young fans then that disqualifies you from being the biggest or best. I’ve seen it on other threads as well. Young people count too.

pudgym and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  17. You don't know much about The Monkees do you?

18. RedRoseSpeedway

Even with that little disclaimer at the end of my initial first post I knew people wouldn't be able to resist. That’s just the name of the game I guess

19. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

The best-selling album of 1967 was More of the Monkees, not Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band.

20. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

no, they were beaten out by The Beatles and The Turtles among other groups and acts

Holy Diver likes this.
  21. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

THE MONKEES OUTSOLD THE BEATLES AND THE ROLLING STONES IN 1967. Yes, you read that correctly. In 1967, the year of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Between the Buttons, and Their Satanic Majesties Request, The Monkees outsold both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones—combined.

22. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

beaten out how? neither of those groups sold more albums than the monkees in 1967. so what criteria are you using to declare them winners? the turtles album peaked at 25 that year. the monkees were number 1 for 29 weeks.

joy stinson and pokemaniacjunk like this.
  23. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I was thinking about singles not albums

24. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

It's impossible to downplay the impact Sgt. Pepper had on the world. It is still the most culture-changing album of all-time. It was considered the greatest album of all-time before people got tired of all its accolades around 2000. We all know there's more to it than just sales and charts. I'm not even saying either way whether the Monkees were the biggest. Of course its obvious they had the biggest advantage with a TV show. That helps.

25. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

But The Monkees sold more than the Beatles & Stones combined in ‘67! Mike Nesmith said so, so it must be true!

joy stinson and micktanner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.