Were The Rolling Stones King of Baroque Pop?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Bass, Jun 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

As a huge Stones fan over the last 30 years or so, I'm obviously aware of The Pretty Things but have yet to seek out any of their music. It sounds like you're someone who was there, so taking your opinion into account I may have to change that.

2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

They only did 2 albums while they were originally together: 'Walk Away Renee/Pretty Ballerina' (1967) and 'The Left Banke Too' (1969)

They were combined (with essential non-LP bonus tracks) on the 'There's Gonna Be A Storm' CD in 92 but it's out of print and goes for a bomb today:

The Left Banke - There's Gonna Be a Storm - Amazon.com Music »

The 2 albums are currently available seperately (no bonus tracks) from Sundazed:

The Left Banke - Walk Away Renée / Pretty Ballerina - Amazon.com Music »

https://www.amazon.com/Left-Banke-Too/dp/B004Y03KEK/ref=pd_sim_15_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=61nzm96LrOL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=1K42Q9Z5WSGG839WHR7K

The first album is the classic one with their Brian Wilson figure Mike Brown still on board and their 2 classic hits, so if you want to give them a try, I'd recommend that CD. The 2nd album (where the other guys wrote most of the songs) is imo just as good though, so you may want to go back for that one if you like the first.

Their was a later reunion album recorded in the late 70s, but it's pretty soft rocky and doesn't sound like their classic stuff.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Mark Wilson likes this.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Literally! :laugh:

4. Vinowino

Vinowino Forum Resident

I should modify my comment. I still play their early stuff,great. I suppose I mean I liked other bands bettereg Yardbirds , Pretty Things John Mayall.
    But any band that is still doing it ( like Stones) has to be good.

5. 00Diablo

00Diablo Senior Member

I concur with the notion that the Bee Gees were the kings of baroque pop in this era

6. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that adding a harpischord or oboe to a rock song doesn't mean it has classical or baroque elements any more than adding a guitar to hip-hop makes it rock and roll. Does using a synth mean something is techno? The things that make baroque and classical music unique are much more detailed than that and involve a more complex musical underbelly like strict counterpoint (baroque) and motif/theme development (classical) neither of which are present in any of the examples given.

But every one of the examples are wonderful pieces of pop/rock art, and can simply be celebrated as such.

Syagrius and Mike Bass like this.
  7. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I don't think so. I hope not.

8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Rococo Rock, anyone?

9. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Nowhere, man.

10. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I think one would say of songs that have a whimsical harpsichord, but nothing else, "It has baroque elements." And that would be true of certain other features. That's why I suggested there are degrees above. How much Bach influence it needs to be true baroque pop, I do not know. But, "In My Life" by the Beatles does have a baroque element to it.

Syagrius likes this.
  11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Would anyone consider Billy Nicholls' "Would You Believe" album to fall somewhat into this category?

Was listening to it tonight and it occurred to me that some of the songs have some of those 'elements'.

Mark

ajsmith likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Their Satanic Majesties Request" is a fantastic album.

13. mfp

mfp Senior Member

If I'm not wrong the baroque flourishes are more often than not courtesy of Nicky Hopkins - same for the Kinks. Maybe Nicky is the unsung King of Baroque Pop.

Syagrius and ajsmith like this.
  14. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

You spelled "the definitive" wrong.

15. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Definitely!

Wasn't that a Lood Oldman production shortly after he was dumped by The Stones?

16. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

All the required ingredients for baroque..

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Am I the first to mention Mick's glorious return to the genre in 1993?

Mark Wilson and ajsmith like this.
  18. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

It is. Continuity issue between the faux concert and the actual shows.

19. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

So at some stage he really did have hair like that?

20. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

The info's out there but nearly all LZ related questions bring about this lame lawsuit screenscroll after screenscroll.

21. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Yep! And backed musically on several songs by The Small Faces who played on a number of Immediate releases. (Who now that I think of it dabbled in the occasional harpsichord themselves.) Actually they produced & arranged the title track which has lots of horns and other instruments in a fairly complex mix. Kinda shows off how talented they were. And Billy was an excellent writer.

Mark

ajsmith likes this.
  22. There was quite a bit of cross over at the time. Easy Listening / Popular Vocal could get rather trippy at times during 1966-69. It often seemed to be dependent on the reputation or age of the vocalist. Was "MacArthur Park" or Scott Walker or Harpers Bizarre Baroque Pop or Easy Listening?

ajsmith likes this.
  23. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

This is really nice. Thanks for sharing. Wonderful recording of this song.

marmalade and Mal like this.
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I sometimes think Brian had contribute more stuff for the Beatles during the late 1960s. His saxophone on 'You Know My Name' is not enough for me.

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Basically every song with a harpsichord is a baroque pop song and indeed there are thousands of these on records.
    One of my favorite (sub-)genres, by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.