Wes Anderson Isle Of Dogs March 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by clashcityrocker, Sep 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I'm in!

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Looks great!

bferr1 likes this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm in. Looks a little tame compared to Mr Fox, but it's a must see for us

4. It's funny how Anderson's animated visuals seem so similar to his live action movies (the storyboard process must be the same?). I guess this should not be surprising, but it still amuses me.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Looks good, I'm in!

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Love Wes Anderson but he hasn't made a movie that has grabbed me in some time now. I'm not much of a fan of this type of movie. I'm holding out hoping for another Rushmore

Jerry Horne and Instant Dharma like this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

This works for me.

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

"Mr. Fox" it was completely forgettable I don't know why he's wasting his time with another of the stupid animated films. I guess he's out to cement his "quirky image" ala Tim Burton.

George P and John Moschella like this.
  9. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

could be amusing, but still I await the Bottle Rocket sequel: Dignan must be well into his "25-50 year plan" by now, has implemented "the Robin Hood principle" and surely has learned new skills while in prison.

[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  10. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I can't wait to see it and I'm a cat guy! It has a super impressive voice cast to boot.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

When has Yoko Ono ever done film work for hire?!? :yikes:

[​IMG]

Solaris and Rhapsody In Red like this.
  12. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

It's an interesting looking trailer. Wes Anderson definitely has a style but his films has been hit and miss with me, so we'll see.

By the way, they emphasize the Japanese elements in the trailer, yet when they show the title it implies that 犬=island and 島=dog, but it's the opposite that's true. I know Wes Anderson films put a lot of work into their graphic design, but it shouldn't go that far.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  13. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

I saw the trailer today before Three Billboards. It was depressing.

14. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Saw this today and as a Wes Anderson fan, I enjoyed it very much. Had not read any reviews or criticisms... just wanted to enjoy a movie and some popcorn. Time well spent.

Here's a note Wes wrote to his assistant Mike Le circa 1999.

[​IMG]

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

3 out of 4 stars review today. As you'd expect, the visuals are fascinating. The reviewer found the script often to be emotionless and rambling, which I think is what you expect with an Anderson.

16. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Saw it last night. Loved it!! It is top-tier Wes Anderson, an amazing attention to detail plus a honest and emotional look into friendship and loyalty. I understand the cultural appropiation argument going around, the Japanese baiting is there: sumo wrestling, kabuki theatre, cherry blossoms, haikus etc. but it is such a loving tribute to Japan: it's cultural icons and also their cinematic triumphs from Kurosawa to Hayao Miyazaki. It reminds me of Mishima, a Paul Schrader film that I thought successfully entered into Japanese culture and let us experience it head on.

Atari, the young hero in the film is the moral center. His love for his dog that sets the journey is truly dignified. I found it quite emotional. When you say Isle of Dogs, you are saying I Love Dogs. As a pet owner you realize we are the masters the pets are our prisoners. How we treat them is really our true standard. The political theme of banishing those we misunderstand or dislike is prevalent in the film. The need to fight for the underdog (haha) is also our moral obligation. However the film is full of laughs, way too many to list here. The soundtrack is mainly diegetic but has cues from Seven Samurai and one great pop song, I Won't Hurt You by West Coast pop art experimental band which is now my favourite song of all-time. If you already know the song and hear it the movie you will be moved to tears for sure. Speaking of tears, my only complaint is the use of tears welling up in eyes to show emotion. Anderson uses it too many times, it works but it seems like they figured out how to create it and they went "hey that's cool, let's use it over and over again".

I really believe this film is a triumph, Anderson really raises the bar for his mastery of mise en scène. Every frame could be frozen as a work of art. But the underlying theme of loyalty and morality really makes it a keeper.

17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

WCPAEB? I'm in. Wes always did know how to work my musical favourites into his films appropriately.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Let It Be"? ;)

19. Oatsdad

I find myself less and less enchanted by Anderson's work with every new movie. He seems to go further into self-parody each time.

I liked "Mr. Fox" and have some hopes "Dogs" will work, but I might just have reached my fill of Anderson's style...

TheVU likes this.
  20. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I'm in complete agreement. The only Wes Anderson I don't like is Mr. Fox.

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Clever title. Isle of Dogs = I Love Dogs.

22. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I love Wes Anderson movies.

23. Oatsdad

Meh - that's a play on an old joke. "Spinal Tap" mentioned the "Isle of Lucy" - that's funnier! :D

24. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm in...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.