Westworld Season 4

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GregM, Jun 12, 2022.

1. GregM

GregM The expanding man Thread Starter

Premiers Sunday, June 26, looks like an unfocused mess from the trailer, but all the main actors are back, including James Marsden. I'll be tuning in, although each season thus far seemed worse than the one before. Still my favorite sci fi show running.

Pete Puma, RSteven and SJP like this.
  2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The first season was great and its been downhill since.

3. GregM

I agree but there was a lot to like about season 2 and even season 3. We'll see what S4 is like.

LaBowe and RSteven like this.
  4. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I dropped out in season two, maybe three, I don't recall for sure. I'm not a hater though, it just went in a direction I didn't care for. Maybe I'll watch some season four.

ex_mixer and RSteven like this.
  5. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Season 3 was so good that I forgave the producers for taking like five years to get it made.

Best to worst:

S1 - the best. A modern classic up there with the reimagined Battlestar Galactica.
    S3 - unexpected, surprising, original, with only a couple cliches that undercut it.
    S2 - depends almost entirely on good will from season 1.

blind_melon1 and Lars Medley like this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

kind of surprised they went through with more of this show. is the interest really there like it was at first? once the ed harris storyline was pretty much resolved i didn't think there was much else left.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  7. GregM

One of the reasons I'm tuning in is to see the Ed Harris character as a host. I think part of his story needs to be told because he was so corrupt as a human. I'm interested to see if they give him greater morality as a host or if that becomes a new twist that sets up the ending. They have one more season after this.

GentleSenator likes this.
  8. GregM

I like it more than BG. I think the western dressing serves up the sci fi really well, and Ed Harris and Rachel Wood get so much mileage out of it. I liked S2 better than S3. The brilliance of S2 I thought was the role-reversal of hosts to stage a rebellion. The subplot about downloading the guests with a device in the hats so that any person could be made as a host was interesting. And we saw Ed Harris' meltdown where he ended up killing his daughter and then wondering if he himself was a host. But my favorite part of S2 was the Native American sort of subplot narrated by Lou Diamond Phillips, where he loses his love, which sets up the ending where they all show up in the virtual promised land. I also liked the Kurosawa-ish Japan-themed episodes. The show takes lots of chances and most of them pay off. S3 was even more ambitious and I liked the "Google" type of AI that Dolores was targeting. The Aaron Paul character was just ok to me. Overall it remains interesting and relevant.

LaBowe, Dr. J., budwhite and 2 others like this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

New trailer!

Looks like we're going back to the park, y'all.

GregM likes this.
  10. GregM

Looks like it is worth the wait!

11. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

So do I need to rewatch Season 3 to prepare for this new season? I was underwhelmed by it and would rather not but after watching these trailers I have no idea what's going on.

12. GregM

I decided to rewatch all 3 seasons. Starting from the beginning I am enjoying it much less than before. Part of it is that sci fi is really not a genre I tend to enjoy and I am focusing on all the flaws that become more apparent with repeat viewing. It is such an ambitious show, but by season 3 the execution did not at all match the level of ambition. The cracks were starting to show in season 1 and season 2. Wood, Harris and of course Hopkins carry the show, but the other actors are weaker. The writing is inconsistent and by the end of season 3 it's a bit of a mess. Maeve, after spending the entire season hunting and trying to kill Dolores decides to save her. And then the big data system that always obeyed the evil corporate overlord suddenly is made to obey Aaron Paul in the end. So the revolution is at hand. I don't know if we see any of it in S4 or if we skip ahead to after the revolution. Guess we'll find out.

GentleSenator and Dr. J. like this.
  13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i'll watch it, dammit, but i'll probably still have no idea what's going on.

[​IMG]

jpelg, Dennis Metz and Humbuster like this.
  14. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

They really lost me in Season 3

but I will give it another shot for the production values alone

LaBowe and unclefred like this.
  15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I couldn't hang with three either but I might watch IV to check it out at least.

GeetarFreek likes this.
  16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Looking forward to it. I can't share or enjoy or agree with a kot of the negativity expressed here on the forum--I have enjoyed the unfolding.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

even rachel wood is back but not as dolores..............you figure it out.

18. GregM

In S3 several other characters were Dolores: Charlotte Hale, Musashi, and Martin Connells.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  19. Lonson

And that isn't all.

GregM likes this.
  20. Lonson

I enjoyed the episode.

I had to process Season 3 first and watched the last episode again. That season was different because the way it was scripted and the way that it was delivered to me was more like reading a science fiction novel, while the first two seasons were all SciFi movies with action and gripping visuals. This time I saw again how that storyline ties in with our own timeline. I can't really explain myself without veering into politics but I felt that connection.

Season 4. . . I'm digging the possibilities but think it may be a bit too much like Season 3 for some, we'll see. I wish I could have turned off my brain though because as soon as I saw Caleb with his hard hat and cable spool my silly brain started going all Glenn Campbell--I think they missed an opportunity of at least a little, perhaps solo piano, reference to "Wichita Lineman." ( ;) )

21. I like the first episode. I have no idea where they are going with this one.

22. GregM

The revolution will not be televised. I think they're going back to the park so the fight can be continued there. Should make for a better season. The scenes at Hoover dam and the cartel guy's ultramodern home were really strange.

23. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Ok watched first episode of S4

It was interesting I have my theories gonna give it a go

24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Built Ram tough! RIP to Maeveā€™s old beater truck, made it 70 years or so before being shot to ****.

25. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

Can't wait for ep. 3 .

Lonson likes this.