Wet Leg - "Chaise Longue"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erick Haight, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

2. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Review of one of their shows from the Harvard Crimson:

Wet Leg Concert Review: Boston Show Confirms They’re Ones to Watch | Arts | The Harvard Crimson

"Watching Wet Leg is like being let in on a secret, and their Paradise Rock Club performance made it clear that, with their ’80s influences and unapologetic style, they’re a band everyone should be paying attention to. With such a captivating performance, they proved fans made the right choice by trusting them enough to see a show full of surprises. They made sure their audience left reinvigorated knowing they were there for the music (even if they didn’t know all of it just yet)."

MoonPanda likes this.
  3. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

scobb and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  4. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

I too like the song. I hope you're familiar with Courtney Barnett's work. If not, then you're in for a treat ;)

5. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

hearing trumpet and Neonbeam like this.
  6. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

A week till the album is out.

Last teaser tune released today.

7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

It’s out on Friday (8th).

8. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

9. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

I'm getting vibes of Britpop fodder Echobelly in places (the riffs and harmonies) but then I always had a soft spot for "I Wanna Do Great Things".
    Infectious and immediate, I wonder if it will grate after a while or if there's any longevity in them (cf. the Will Smith/The Smith's meme of the year, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore) but **** it, it's fun for now.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

This is a great band!

11. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Based on what I've heard so far, I'm going to agree with The Guardian. "Chaise Longue" is great but nothing else I've heard comes close. Maybe I'll change my mind once I spend some time with the record.

12. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to hearing more from this debut, but everyone is calling Chaise Longue a catchy earworm of a song, and it just hasn't grabbed me that way at all. I feel like I'm missing something that everyone else is hearing.

DiBosco, rlj1010 and mr. steak like this.
  13. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I'm glad the rest of the album is not like Chaise Lounge, as it's a bit of a novelty song, which is fine if a song or two on an album are like that, but if the whole album were like that, it'd get boring real quick and not have much lasting appeal.

Kevin j, hearing trumpet and EricSwan like this.
  14. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Sounds like we need to assign someone to butter your muffin :yikes:!

15. Hopping Tiger

Hopping Tiger Forum Resident

This is a terrific act. Can't wait for my copy of the album to arrive. My fave of 2022 so far

Exitmusic likes this.
  16. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Stereogum have also gave the album a good review.

Album Of The Week: Wet Leg 'Wet Leg'

I've had an email this evening saying that my copy has been dispatched so it shouldn't be too long to wait.

Patanoia and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  17. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

My copy from Domino is shipped too.

Paste Magazine is giving the debut an 8/10 and it's sitting at an 81% on Metacritic (with only 5 reviews in). Friday can't come soon enough.

18. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Just gave the new album a listen. If someone could point out a dud that would be intriguing because these ears can't find any... this debut is catchy, witty, impeccably produced, and never dull.

Outside of the singles I'd love to highlight 'Loving You" which features a stunning accordion and "Supermarket".

19. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

20. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Just listened to the album and enjoyed every moment of it. Possibly an odd comparison, but I'm getting the energy of the fantastic first Ting Tings album, the way it's just bursting with hooks and ideas and wit. Absolutely great.

21. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

Pretty much word for word where I am with it after one listen. A terrific record from start to finish.
    A week on Sunday in Edinburgh can’t come quickly enough!

22. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

Just back from a lunchtime performance and signing by Wet Leg @ Rough Trade East.

fantastic performance, really enjoyed the album played live. Terrifically humble and delightful at the signing as well. Really looking forward to seeing them develop.

I wished Hestor good luck with the chart position, but said it’s a tough week with Jack White, Father John Misty and Kae Tempest.

She said, I bought all those records, and I replied “you should have waited until next week!”, to which she said, “ah that’s conflicting!”

Really cool band.

23. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Haven't had my muffin buttered in ages.

24. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I'm loving this album. They wear their influences on their sleeves, but there are a LOT of them: I hear some Young Marble Giants, some Sleater-Kinney, some Pavement, some Nirvana, some Pixies, and even traces of prime 00s indie like Mclusky.

If I had to pick one band they remind me of, though, I would say: Art Brut. They have a similar sense of humor and fun. That's high praise in my book.

Exitmusic and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  25. I think that's why many are here, it's rumored to happen at 203,000 posts. Good luck!

Patanoia and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.