Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Wey Wey Hep a Hole Ding Dong: Robyn Hitchcock the song by song, album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, May 15, 2020.

1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

I hate to be dismissive, but this to me, is just Can of Bees Lite...I actually prefer Can Of Bees Lite to the real, unwatered down pungent true Can of Bees. But I respect it less.

Guitars make it listenable (see also Can of Bees) and the lyric is pretty good too, if rather a dark little throwback to Robyn's late seventies obsessions: though thankfully there are no dismembered parts here.

3.3/5

MattR and bzfgt like this.
  2. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Forum Resident

Strings - 4/5 - I feel that the 2nd side of the album does take a dip in quality from the 1st, but it's still all pretty good.

bzfgt and Lance LaSalle like this.
  3. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

I don't like Strings at all, in fact it's probably my least favourite Soft Boys song ever. It's disjointed, overlong and the "rap" bit in the middle is absolutely cringeworthy. "Take your partner by the middle/Like a burger on a griddle" is a strong contender for his worst ever rhyming couplet.

The "I wish that I was just paranoid" melody always reminds me of Anarchy In The UK but not in a good way. Unfortunately this track sets the tone for a very weak finale to the album, with only La Cherite of the last four songs passing muster.

Strings 1.5/5.

Lance LaSalle and bzfgt like this.
  4. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Strings -- 2/5. Not good enough to round up to 3 but it has it's moments. Over long middle section that's not that interesting.

5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I like Strings OK...but it's kind of dull, feels like it goes on too long...3/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  6. MattR

MattR Forum Resident

I rather like Strings. It has the darker, surging side of The Soft Boys that's missing from some of the more mellow songs. It's overlong, but the way it builds to a climax in the "I wish that I was just paranoid" session is really satisfying. Must have been good live.
    3.9/5

7. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Strings"

1-0
    2-2
    3-2
    4-2
    5-0
    Average: 2.95

8. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Japanese Captain", written by Robyn Hitchcock and produced by The Soft Boys and Pat Collier; Recorded and mixed by Pat Collier.

Lyric.

9. bzfgt

Hmm, I feel kindly toward this tonight....3.5/5

10. Great Face For Radio

Another song which is pleasant enough without hitting any great heights. I like the middle eight and the slow outro. I've always wondered what he mumbles in a slowed down voice at the end before the chortle. This one of the few songs from Nextdoorland which wasn't performed live at any of the gigs I saw at the time (Unprotected Love and Lions & Tigers the others I think).

Unusual use of the F-word; he's usually oblique rather than graphic on the matter of sex.

Japanese Captain 3/5.

MattR and bzfgt like this.
  11. Lance LaSalle

A decent song, again with some delicious guitars. Lyrics are OK, melody is a bit uninspired. Mainly this is just a song that goes by nicely without really exciting me or really annoying me.

HOw does a Japanese captain adore somebody?

2.8/5

bzfgt likes this.
  12. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Captain -- 3/5. And that's a round-up. Lower-tier album filler.

13. MattR

MattR Forum Resident

Japanese Captain - My least favourite on the album, it just sort of sits there. Even by Robyn's standards this is quite an oblique one lyrically, and I don't really connect with it. 2.6/5

14. AlienRendel

Japanese Captain - 3/5 - I think this is probably the weakest tune on the album, but still sounds pretty nice while it's playing.

15. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Japanese Captain"

1-0
    2-0
    3-5
    4-1
    Average: 2.9833

16. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "La Cherité", written by Robyn Hitchcock. Produced by The Soft Boys and Pat Collier; recorded and mixed by Pat Collier.

Lyric.

RobynHitchcock: vocals, guitar
    Kimberly Rew: guitar, vocals
    Matthew Seligman: bass
    Morris Windsor: drums, vocals

17. Lance LaSalle

This one is a lot better than the last one, but it definitely is ultimately just kind of pleasant. Lyrics resonate.

3.9/5

18. Great Face For Radio

The best of the last four tracks on the album. For once the mellow mood is effective and it's underpinned by some lovely subtle guitar work. I have no idea what La Cherité means as it doesn't seem to exist as a word or place name in the French language. the same goes for the other word in the chorus Le Che? Le Shay? Le Shea? Le Chez?

I do know that "in my end is my beginning" is the final line of the poem East Coker from The Four Quartets by TS Eliot.

La Cherité. 3.7/5.

19. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Cherite -- it's Ok, but nothing more than that. 3/5

20. bzfgt

Yeah this is a nice one, 3.8/5

21. AlienRendel

La Cherite - 4/5 - I dig this one.

bzfgt likes this.
  22. MattR

MattR Forum Resident

La Cherité is very nice. It suffers a bit coming straight off the similarly midtempo Japanese Captain, but this is a lovely little song with wonderful chiming guitars and some of the best lyrics on the album. 4/5

AlienRendel and bzfgt like this.
  23. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It’s different, which is a plus, but I still don’t think it’s very good, and it’s probably the least Soft Boys thing they ever released.

24. Lance LaSalle

I'll have to count votes later as I slept late and don't have time now!

Today's song is "Lions and Tigers", written by Robyn Hitchcock. Produced By The Soft Boys and Pat Collier; Recorded and Engineered by Pat Collier.

RobynHitchcock: vocals, guitar
    Kimberly Rew: guitar, vocals
    Matthew Seligman: bass
    Morris Windsor: drums, vocals

bzfgt likes this.
  25. bzfgt

This one is a snoozer to me....but not terrible I guess....3/5