Wey Wey Hep a Hole Ding Dong: Robyn Hitchcock the song by song, album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, May 15, 2020.

1. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

"Born on the Wind" - I recall Robyn made a trip to Antarctica (or the Arctic) sometime in the last 20 years as part of some environmental excursion. I don't know if this song is connected with that, but it's what came to mind. Otherwise, it's another one with not-funny lyrics that I don't get. I like the saw, but the endless, listless repetition of the same chords is boring. 2/5.

MattR and brownie61 like this.
  2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Greenland.

brownie61 and pocketcalculator like this.
  3. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Born on the Wind -- it's OK, but nothing special. 3/5

4. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

My apologies, that was a very British joke connection which you couldn't possibly understand so I withdraw it !

bzfgt and Lance LaSalle like this.
  5. Lance LaSalle

I am getting the classic folk-rock/The Band references too....and it's a good song, with a nice feel: I like the delicate mandolin or banjo or whatever it is (uncredited for some dumb reason) and the languid laid back feel of the whole thing.

but yeah, ultimately not all that memorable.

3.4/5

brownie61 likes this.
  6. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Born on the Wind"

1-0
    2-1
    3-5
    4-3
    5-0
    Average: 3.2111

bzfgt likes this.
  7. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Evolove", written by Robyn Hitchcock; recorded and mixed by Charlie Francis; additional recording by Jessica Corcoran.

Robyn Hitchcock & The Venus 3 – Evolove Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Several fragments of live or rehearsal versions were released on the video Sex, Love, Death....and Insects in 2006.

Robyn Hitchcock: vocals, guitars, piano
    Peter Buck: guitars
    Scott McCaughey: bass
    Bill Rieflin: drums, percussion
    Chris Ballew: guitar, vocals
    John Paul Jones: mandolin
    Saw: Judy Wright
    Charlie Francis: mellotron
    Morris Windsor: vocals

bzfgt likes this.
  8. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

I don't understand it either. It's Terry-Thomas in I'm All Right Jack but what's the connection to this song?

bzfgt likes this.
  9. chrism1971

Oh all right. Several people were asking about 'Mira'. The only Miras I know are the watery ones I stand under every morning. Hence the clip. Far too convoluted... I suppose I'm trying to get sweet mental revenge for the years of reading US comedy references on the internet!

10. Lance LaSalle

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

11. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Evolove

Wow, what a song! These lyrics are incredible. I will be pondering different interpretive possibilities about the details for many years to come, because I think there can be at least several. Although I think the main point about conflicting philosophies about the big ideas in life jumps right out. Awesome. I love having conversations about this kind of stuff with friends.

5/5

MattR, bzfgt and Lance LaSalle like this.
  12. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Evolve - 4/5 - Good stuff.

13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

EVOLOVE this is a good one. The caps key was on unbeknownst to me. 4.2/5

Kind of beatlesy.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  14. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Evolove -- good track. 4/5.

bzfgt likes this.
  15. Great Face For Radio

That's about as convoluted and esoteric as it gets; relying on knowledge of both British shower head manufacturers and late 1950s Boulting Brothers comedies.

Despite the awful title, Evolove is a fine album closer, with lyrics that I can totally relate to. Watch a news item on Afghanistan and consider the line "what you believe, is gonna kill us all". I also like the idea of "thank life for that" rather than "thanks God for that". And of course there's a continuation of the "blame Mum and Dad" philosophy.

I'm certain there are no mandolins or musical saws here but the uncredited strings (Jenny Adajayan? Jocelyn Pook? Deni Bonet?) are lush and give the track a real grandeur. It's not quite in the same league as NY Doll or Goodnight Oslo but it's another superb final track and ends a patchy album on a high.

Evolove 4.5/5.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    chrism1971, bzfgt and brownie61 like this.
  16. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Not a huge fan of this one.....still solid though. 3/5.

bzfgt and chrism1971 like this.
  17. chrism1971

Yeah but this is a Robyn Hitchcock thread :)

Evolove (yes, awful title) - Musically good stuff with what sounds like a cello rather than a saw, but a more wiry and less relaxed vocal line and those slightly pompous 'statement' lyrics which put me off some of his later songs I'm afraid. 3/5

18. MattR

MattR Forum Resident

Love a bit of mellotron. Definitely gives a Beatlesy feel. Some great lyrics, but just a bit self-consciously meaningful to be a classic track, and that title is indeed awful. I've never quite liked this one as much as I probably should.

3.8/5

19. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

"Evolove" - terrible title, Robyn loses half a point right there. The music is really lovely, I dig the mellotron and the single piano notes. Though I agree with most of their substance, the lyrics are a little too heavy handed, though. I'd give this a 4/5 but for the title, so 3.5/5.

brownie61 likes this.
  20. Lance LaSalle

Very pretty song with a fascinating lyric and an uncharacteristically invovled and effective arrangement

5/5

21. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Evolove"

1-0
    2-0
    3-2
    4-5
    5-3
    Average: 4

22. Lance LaSalle

Well, damn. Looks like it slipped my mind to hit "post reply" yesterday. My apologies. This time of year I'm a bit distracted by work!

So, Today, Propellor Time.

23. Great Face For Radio

The weakest of the Venus 3 albums in my opinion. I really enjoyed his return to a band format but this just doesn't sound or feel much like a group effort. It's as if Buck, McCaughey and Rieflin have been reduced to guest status along with all the other contributors. It certainly lacks that special band dynamic. I'd say there are three great tracks, four decent tracks and three duffers and that adds up to a rather patchy album, which doesn't stand up as a whole entity.

It's by no means bad but after the previous two it feels like a bit of a comedown.

Propellor Time 3/5.

24. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Propellor Time

As I’ve already mentioned, this album was a huge unexpected surprise for me. It’s been a while since I’ve enjoyed a new (to me) album so much. The songs on this album just completely hang together for me, aside from Born on the Wind, and I love listening to the whole thing in its entirety over and over. The enjoyment I get from listening to the album from start to finish is greater than singling out many of the songs individually. This has been the most enjoyable album I’ve discovered in this thread, and I’m not sure how I completely missed its existence. In a short time, it has definitely become one of my favorite Robyn albums.

5/5

25. chrism1971

I enjoy most of PT more than the other two Venus 3 albums (despite a couple of classics on Goodnight Oslo) - even though apparently recorded earlier than the previous one it seems to point a new way forward for RH musically with the musical experiments and new contributors. Maybe when he started the 3 he felt it was another (top-class) version of the Soft Boys/Egyptians type lineup, but for me this never really came off as a band approach. 3.5/5