Wey Wey Hep a Hole Ding Dong: Robyn Hitchcock the song by song, album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, May 15, 2020.

1. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

"My Rain" - the lyrics are, again, kind of nothing, but the music is cool - I love the onomatopoeic effect of the pizzicato on the cello, the atmosphere of a spooky, rainy evening. It's a nice interlude. 3.8/5.

bzfgt and Lance LaSalle like this.
  2. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

My Rain

Beautiful lyrics here and the music creates the right atmosphere for them. Musically, I’m not crazy about the “When the sun is tired of you/When the moon is under a cloud” parts, but the rest of it is lovely.

3.5/5

3. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Well, this one sounds a bit more like Robyn HItchcock; and there's a vague sixties psychedelic folk feel to it that appeals to me and which Robyn pulls off well. The cello is gorgeous (again) and the arrangement is quite nice. Somewhat familiar ground for Robyn, but a better-than-average melody and some evocative lyrics.

4.4/5

bzfgt, chrism1971 and brownie61 like this.
  4. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

@MattR Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed it. I guess if you need an artist to improvise when things go wrong, RH is your man.

bzfgt, brownie61 and MattR like this.
  5. Great Face For Radio

There aren't many RH songs in waltz time (thankfully) and I don't think this works at all. The electric guitar and cello parts are nice but overall it's a dull listen and neither the lyrics nor vocals do anything to lift it. Like much of this album it's wholly unremarkable. Someone upthread said they had trouble remembering any of the songs from Love From London and I feel the same way. I'll have forgotten this one again by the weekend.

My Rain 2/5.

bzfgt and brownie61 like this.
  6. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Great to hear - how was the crowd? I had a rather nice experience of jazz (and 'craft ale', or beer as we used to call it) in a hotel in Portland a couple of years ago - but I suppose if I spent my working life flying from one to the next I might grow tired...

My Rain - this is really rather good, almost buried under some earlier dross to the point where I've probably only listened to it once before. The electric/acoustic guitar play, the tuneful cello, Robyn's deeper resonant voice (which really suits as he gets older) and especially the emphatic percussion on the middle bits which place 2/4 bars between the 3/4 lilt.... I mean, it's not great (not a 4+), but a solid 3.75/5.

MattR, bzfgt, brownie61 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

My Rain -- a big step down from the last 3 songs. Easily forgettable. 2/5

brownie61 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  8. MattR

MattR Forum Resident

In revisiting Love From London, I was hoping to find something I'd unjustly overlooked. There hasn't been anything yet... until this song.

This is much better than I remember, very atmospheric and a bit gothic. It sounds like a proper Robyn Hitchcock song, and it's short and sweet.
    I think the mix is all wrong though. Still, a nice surprise, if a minor one.
    3.5/5

chrism1971, brownie61 and bzfgt like this.
  9. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

I liked the spooky dank vibe way better than "Fix You". The instrumentation is a good mix. By the way, there is a nice soft drum part that kicks in and isn't credited by:

Robyn HItchcock: vocals, guitars, piano
    Paul Noble: guitars, bass, keyboards
    Jenny Adjayan: cello
    Jenny Macro and Lucy Parnell: vocals

"My Rain" 3/5

chrism1971 and brownie61 like this.
  10. Lance LaSalle

Because there is no credit available.

11. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "My Rain"

1-0
    2-2
    3-2
    4-5
    5-0
    Average: 3.25

12. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "End Of Time", written by Robyn HItchcock and produced by Paul Noble.

Robyn Hitchcock – End of Time Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Robyn Hitchcock: vocals, guitar
    Paul Noble: guitar, keyboards, bass, vocals
    Jenny Adejayan: cello

A promo single contained a "re-mix" of this track.

13. Lance LaSalle

This is a fairly well written song but feels somehow wrong, like, too self-consciously epic or something. The drums drive me crazy, too. It is a fitting closer for this album, though, I will say that (and too often Robyn's albums end badly.)

I'll give it a 3/5. I don't dislike it and I think it's well placed, but I don't think it's great.

bzfgt, pocketcalculator and brownie61 like this.
  14. chrism1971

Another one that sounds a bit like a Lennon outtake, reminds me of several other things as usual I can't remember what... probably a drum program as not credited. Not a track I'd return to much..... crikey it goes on forever.....2/5
    PS kudos to Genius lyrics for spelling labour correctly. :hide:

15. MattR

MattR Forum Resident

End of Time
    Definitely a bit of a self-conscious 'meaningful closing track'. That said, it's a really nice melody that sticks with me much more than most of the others.
    "Day breaks... like an egg" always makes me smile. Those drums are horrid though! 3.5/5

Don't care for the "Love form London" coda bit, glad that whole song didn't make the album.

16. Great Face For Radio

Definitely an attempt at a big production number to close with. Unfortunately the drum machine has been programmed as John Bonham and it spoils what might have been a half decent song. Nevertheless in the context of this album it's one of the better tracks.

I'm not sure what the ending is all about but I do know the guy who recorded the waves is Robyn's stepson Jack Thurston, who writes books about cycling. The melody on the "Love From London" bit is very familiar but I can't place it.

End Of Time 3/5.

17. chrism1971

Yes, When the Levee Breaks, that was one of the things lurking in my head.

18. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Hey Robyn come on back to the USofA. Just move back to Annapolis Maryland.

19. Great Face For Radio

20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

End of Time

I like this song, but agree that the big booming drum sound is completely wrong here, so that drops my score.

3.5/5

The end “Love From London” bit is one of the best things on this album, and shouldn’t really be considered as part of this song, right?

21. Lance LaSalle

I guess not so go ahead and rate it separately if you want.

22. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Love From London

I love it. I love the sound of the waves, the lilting melody, and the echoey effects on Robyn’s voice.

4.5/5

23. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

End of Time -- it grew on me as it went along, but not enough to raise it above a 3.

24. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

"End of Time" - The melody is very nice. The lyrics are lightweight again - it seem like Robyn wants to make some kind of closing statement but just amount to him embracing the end. Ok, man. But what kills the song for me is the programmed drums and the loud gated snare. I would be more charitable toward the song without that. 3/5.

"Love from London" tag. Eh, it's alright. 3/5.

MattR, brownie61 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I think I'm a little out of step here, I really like this one. Yeah, I'm not crazy about how it sounds and the drums.....still, though....3.7/5

Lance LaSalle, brownie61 and MattR like this.