Wharfedale Diamond 225 bass

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gasolin, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasolin

gasolin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I now use Wharfedale Diamond 225 and i have to admit they do sound better than the diamond 220, less dark but still not harsh at high levels, midrange is easy to hear, not muddy, bass is okay, not super deep or punchy but the balance with the pleasant top is good.

Speaker cable is Kimber kwik 12 bi wired, use the metal brackets i noticed some weak sharpnes to the top, could almost call it a metal sound that disappeared when i took the brackets of and used the kimber for the highs and lows.

Amp Cambridge Audio CXA60, a 2x60 watt in 8 ohm neutral sounding amp, slightly to the more brighter and thinner side of neutral, to me not a bassy amp.

Speakers are on isoacoustics 155 stands 8" high.

I use it with my pc and i can't place them closer to a corner for more bass, bass is a little weak(without wanting a subwoofer) .

Edm sounds fine but it's often more quantity than quality, most of the time the bass is moderate subtle, it's fine since the top isn't harsh or loud, it's balanced, even so i just want a bit more.

Theres a diffrence between the Diamond 220 and 225, if the diffrence,improvements would be the same but just above the Diamond 225 i think i would have that bass i want, could say the diffrence in bass between the Diamond 220 and 225 should have been twice as big, atleast for my taste.

For a bit more bass without using the bass eq, since it effects the the max power,when the amp distorts but also is limited to 100hz (how wide it is "q" i don't know), what would you recommend?

I don't need and have the space for a subwoofer.

Once i used 6mm speaker cable i thought had a very full bodied sound (don't have it anymore), would that be something i should look at? (haven't seen any thick speaker cable that can be used for bi wiring like kimber kwik 12)

2. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

Congrats. Out of curiosity, have you read Stereophile's review of the 225? I think Herb R., and others, liked the 225. I don't think W H-F reviewed the 225, tho.

Are you familiar with the Mission QX-2? Audio Bronze 2? Dali Zensor 3? Or the smaller QA Concept 20?

3. gasolin

Yes i have read it

Dali zensor to bright sounding and fattiguing top, the same can be said about the BX2's , QA concept 20, i use the 2010i for my tv, QX-2 are a bit bright as fare as i remember from reviews

4. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

The original post was carefully constructed to avoid my particular recommendation, but here it is anyway. :) You're going to have to add at least one subwoofer, given adequate space or not...however small the sub is. I feel that this is the only way to realize the musical potential of the 225 pair. And, by the way, those speakers get plenty of love for their warmth and low end output for their size (e.g., see reviews).

I have a somewhat similar situation in that my conventional floorstanding speakers will only play the source material that they are receiving. Sure, I could up the bass on the preamp, but, like you, I don't want to do that because lots of frequencies are affected.

As far as other bookshelf speakers are concerned, in this YT video the ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 speakers were praised for their lower end among other things.

5. gasolin

It may come as a surpise, even when i like the subtle non harsh top, i desided to retun them, have had them for 1 week (brun in no problem) and i have 30 days to return them to get all of my money back.

Another surpise, i have Dynaudio Emit M10, i had some supra classic 2.5mm i didn't use and desided to try it, the top is a little to pronounced, that's why i wanted to try the diamond 225's.

Back on the dynaudio's i found the top not to bright'ish and playing edm the bass surprised me, i desided this time to take the covers off, since i prefered the cleaner look with the covers on i really never tried them without the covers, this and the cable made a difference, which a review also stated that the covers off do give some improvements. You could say im fine tuning the speakers.

So much i desided to look for 4.0 mm 6 gauge speaker wires,cable from, older experience i know thicker wire,cable can make a difference, i wanted to look for something slightly cheaper then supra classic 4.0mm but i think i have to but that cable.

When ever i google it people say thick cable,wire is best, since the nakamichi banana plug i ordered only can handle 4.0 mm 6 gauge it's this size im looking at.

While looking at thicker cable i found this video (didn't know about the highs)

The Elacs seems pretty good but to me a little pricey

cdgenarian likes this.
  6. mitchius

mitchius Forum Resident

I’ve found that the Wharfedales that I’ve had take 100 or more hours to sound their best. I remember that the 10.1 sounded like dog **** when I first hooked them up. Fortunately I’d read plenty about them so I wasn’t expecting greatness. I left them playing and by the end of the day they were bearable. Then I ordered 10.2 followed by 225 and then Dentons. They all took a while to sound ok. In the end the Dentons were best followed by the 225, 10.2 and lastly 10.1. I’ll use them all for HTs for my adult children. I bought a second pair of the Dentons for myself :D

Cyclone Ranger and cdgenarian like this.
  7. William711

William711 New Member

I have the 225s and I like them but now I’m looking for something even better I’m using them for a retail store selling craft beers and people are loving the sound do you think I should go up to the Denton’s? . I’m thinking to give the 225s to my daughter

8. William711

William711 New Member

I have the 225s and I like them but now I’m looking for something even better I’m using them for a retail store selling craft beers and people are loving the sound do you think I should go up to the Denton’s? . I’m thinking to give the 225s to my daughter

9. The Acid Mouse

The Acid Mouse Forum Resident

The Diamond 230s are often better priced (in the UK at least) than the 225s - wouldn't it be worth buying those instead of the 225s for that extra bass?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  10. gasolin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.