Wharfedale Evo 4.4 - New bargain in floor mount speakers.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Classicrock, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member Thread Starter

If you think the Linton is a bargain, check out these. They are $2000 in USA but in UK only £1199. Took a punt on a pair (walnut Veneer). They are certainly competitive with much more expensive boutique brands if not providing such a finely etched sound. Warm yet pretty refined. Chinese production has benefited here with the inclusion of an AMT tweeter and dome mid range with twin 150 mm bass drivers. Worth considering if you can't accomodate or afford large 12" models. These have a very well extended bass.

They are over 1 metre tall and surprisingly deep in the flesh (350mm). Just compact and light enough for one person to move ( a necessity for me) at over 26kgs. Still running them in but they sound very promising after an afternoons listening. There are quite a few videos on Youtube already mainly from 'KVR' (not the best sound repro since he is using an Iphone dedicated Shure mic).

2. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

How much power do they need and how far out from the back wall do you feel they should be? Very interested in these.

Congrats!

3. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

I just bought an EVO 4.C center channel speaker for my A/V system. I mainly bought it for its AMT tweeter, with the hope that it will offer good clarity and dialog intelligibility. So far, it seems to be very good.

4. Classicrock

I have them approx 2' from the back wall. I think with the prodigious bass they should not be a lot closer. Recommended amp power is 30 to 200W but I'm using a 500W amp. They don't state a max power figure in the manual. I think you should have at least 60W. Maybe a 30W push pull valve amp would work. Average 6 ohms so reduces efficiency a bit ( 89db specified). Certainly slightly less efficient than my previous speakers (90db). As you might imagine my big MF amp drives them easily. The AMT tweeter is very smooth and unfatiging even with compressed CDs.

5. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Thanks. I have a 100 wpc Rogue Cronus Magnum. Should be plenty. You using 4 or 8 ohm on your amp?

6. Classicrock

It's solid state.

7. Classicrock

Bump. Any comments on the 4.4 or other Evo models welcome. How they compare with Linton or more expensive boutique brands?

8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Crutchfield has these for 1000 usd right now.
    They are a killer deal at that price.

9. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

That's per speaker which is retail.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Sorry about that, it's been awhile since I speaker shopped.

11. Classicrock

They are sold in pairs so this is misleading (same serial number, so matched).

bajaed likes this.
  12. Classicrock

I don't know why this thread isn't getting the attention Denton and Linton models have been getting? Maybe doesn't look like a Harbeth alternative? These are an even bigger bargain than the Linton. They do need a fair sized room. No bright sounding metal cone drivers. Easy on the Ear when cranked.

13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

They don't look "classic".

ispace, Tim 2 and timind like this.
  14. Classicrock

15. core3m

core3m Active Member

Hello,

Can You compare EVO 4.4 with Linton's ? They both look's very good.

16. Classicrock

Sorry I can't comment from experience on direct comparison. I actually bought the Evo blind based on price and some positive impressions from Youtube. I would say that no way are you going to get the level of bass the Evo puts out from the Linton. Also I am confident the Evo AMT tweeter is superior to the Linton's dome. There is some advanced technology in the Evo range not normally available at these prices. I am continually impressed with these speakers. Detailed but smooth treble, extended bass and warm mid range. They have great dynamic headroom. Convinced they are a major bargain and should give speakers up to £3K stiff competition.

Meehael, mreeter and bajaed like this.
  17. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Deadly_Icy_Calm Forum Resident

Just ordered a pair of 4.4s. Looking forward to it.

Hazelmullins, mtrot and bajaed like this.
  18. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Great! I would love it if you could post your impressions here when you get a chance.

Deadly_Icy_Calm likes this.
  19. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Awesome! When will they arrive and what finish did you get?

Deadly_Icy_Calm likes this.
  20. Deadly_Icy_Calm

According to Fedex they should arrive Sunday. We'll see. Went with the black oak. Will be comparing them to to my Klipsch Forte I's with ALK crossovers. Probably try pairing with a MC2105 amp first.

waaguirr and bajaed like this.
  21. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Well unfortunately the speakers showed up with a dented in midrange. Decided to immediately send back. These were a used pair so not sure if I will be trying for another set or not at the moment.

22. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Bummer.

23. Classicrock

They haven't been on the market long enough to be 'used' (ex dem, customer return or damaged stock?). Obviously any saving not worth it. If they had original packing the seller must have known these were faulty or they did it while packing. Likely you won't get back the return shippage. Who was the seller?

24. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Open box from vendor. They are covering return shipping.

25. dan3952

dan3952 New Member

Had you used Music Direct for those 4.4's, at about $1650?