Wharfedale Evo 4.4 - New bargain in floor mount speakers.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Classicrock, Nov 16, 2019.

1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

This series is new, wasn't even on Wharfedale's own website until very recently, USA site under construction. And they Reva they seem to replace weren't well known or huge sellers either. Just my guesses.

2. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

This video of the EVO 4.2 just went up on YouTube. This guy is a European audio dealer and always gets the most incredible sound in his video demos, and the 4.2s are no exception! He also has some videos of the 4.4s.

bluenosens and Meehael like this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member Thread Starter

Remain impressed - some pictures. Unbelievable build and finish for the money as well as sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I heard a pair a friend of a friends over x-mass. I wasn't overly impressed sonically but when I found out he payed $2800.CDN they seemed like a great bargain, particularly when you take into account the rigid lute shaped cabinet. A great deal.

5. Classicrock

They are not one of those speakers that will instantly impress because they are fairly even handed. Also I imagine amplifier and source dependent. On the right material bass is very impressive. Other speakers may sound better on quick audition but these are listenable long term. To better them you will have to spend a lot more and would suggest upgrade source and amp first.

6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

The source and amp are very good I've heard them many times. Don't think I need to listen for that long, I've been listening and evaluating speakers and gear since the early seventies.
    Not trying to take anything away from the 4.4's I've just become used of speakers that are in another zone, including price. As I said there a good deal at the price.

7. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

There is something about Kevlar speakers. It takes time to break in but once they do it's a keeper. Love Kevlar.

Galactus2 likes this.
  8. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

All those beautiful speakers and he runs it on a Chinese knock off DNON cd player? :D

9. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

Today I've auditioned evo 4.4. Soundstage was beautiful, also I much liked how they play with ease, fast and responsive, classical music was just glorious, vocals and rock music not so much. Vocals sounded thin, I had a strong feeling dome speaker wasn't integrating well. I know for shure they are not burned in yet. I'll check them again in few weeks.

But then I bought a pair of white Wharfedale Onyx 100 bookshelf speakers for my brother, on sale for just 150$...Think they were RRP 1000$ and quite rare I think. I have to say I haven't heard as sweet, feather light sounding speaker in my life. Too bad it's so small. My Dentons have bigger sound, but in every other aspect Onyx are better. ...In search for used Onyx 200 or Onyx 300. Or anything simmilar.

10. Classicrock

Vocals are not thin sounding and the units do integrate well. What amp was this with? The problem is certainly elsewhere. Below is a video shot at the Bristol show with Audiolab budget amps.

Hazelmullins and bajaed like this.
  11. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Do you own these speakers? I'm thinking about getting them but waiting for more reviews.

12. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

They were driven by yamaha amp (AS 501), so should be fairly neutral. No, vocals were nasal, thus thin if you ask me. I felt like speakers didn't had a flat response. They were all over the place but still very nice. Worked great with some music, just not all. Like I said speakers were not burned-in, and Wharfedales need some time.

13. Classicrock

Yes. I started the thread. There are quite a few videos on Youtube with various music which will give you some idea. Forget the claim above they are uneven and they didn't take long to run in, plus sounded good out of the box. Warm side of neutral. Maybe not the more etched sound with very tight bass some prefer. Though they are slightly warm in the mids and bass, treble is clean and not obviously rolled off. Very listenable for long periods. Not perfect but I'm sure you will have to spend at least £3K to improve the sound in many respects (something like KEF R11). Need a fairly large space and 2/3 ft from back wall. I listen mainly to rock, electronic, acoustic, female vocals. All sound good to me. Do scale up with better gear and would suggest a reasonably powerful amp (40W min). A budget Yam may not suit judging from @Meehael comments. Certainly working well with Audiolab 6000 amp at the Bristol show but they sound quite a bit better with the big MF amp I have.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  14. Plastic Oysters

Plastic Oysters New Member

Keeping an eye on this thread because curious about these speakers. "Other speakers may sound better on quick audition but these are listenable long term" sounds like a quote from the WhatHIFI review!

unclefred likes this.
  15. Classicrock

I checked the What Hi-Fi review just now and it says -

'Rivals such as the excellent Fyne Audio F501s sound more forward, and perhaps more exciting because of that, but over a longer listen the Evo 4.4’s easier-going presentation is more natural and convincing. It’s the kind of sound that appeals over the long term rather than during a short audition at a dealer'.

mikedifr0923 and bluemooze like this.
  16. Classicrock

Great review of the standmount 4.2

17. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I saw his review the other day, had me interested.

18. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I have read the reviews of these in the UK hifi press and these are overwhelmingly five star speakers. At £1100 they are seen an an absolute steal and class leaders. i remember the Lintons from my early hifi days. I did have quite a few wharfedales but never the lintons. If i remember correctly, the original linton was difficult to drive. I am talking about the standmount speakers now.
    Yes, the floorstanders also got five star reviews too.

19. pingo

pingo Active Member

I ordered the EVO 4.4 from Findland and had them sent to Denmark.
    Had to return them due to a ratteling at certain bass tones, but here is my honest experience: My final mail to the seller: You know how eager I was to get these speakers,
    and I had to search all through Europe to chase them up.
    And I took a great leap of faith ordering a speaker without listening to it first.

I used a week for burn-in and listening
    to all those numbers - where I could not hear the defect,
    before I would try to pass any final judgement on the sound quality of the speakers.
    I was hoping they would grow on me and I would like them enough
    to ask you to send me a new pair - without any defect.

But unfortunately they ended up disappointing me.
    Maybe I should have been more cautious and not bought a speaker
    on just ONE rave review in WHAT HI-FI ??
    but it was supported by the 37 enthusiast youtube videos
    from this Indian guy who had tested many high-end speakers
    and ended up with the EVO 4.4 as the answers to all his dreams.
    and a few other very positive words from guys who had heard them.

Their sound is very flat and two dimensional
    nowhere near the 3 meters deep soundstage from my old B&W 802 serie80
    that was so spacious that I could take a stroll around each instrument.

The treble is too sibilant on occasions and the sound is not nearly as organic,
    relaxed, engaging and musical - as the 802´s

They simple do not have anywhere near the magic of these classics.
    The bass of the 4.4 is better more teight and clear tough - when it works....
    and does not make these awful cabinet resonances
    on top of the loose rattling with a metallic sound.

Wharfedal surely knows the 802´s !! - so I had just hoped
    that with all the progress in new material new technology
    they would be able to improved over the sound of a 40 years old B&W speaker.

I have returned to the 802 which I sold for 936 € and bought again for only $ 375
    but normal price is between 670-800 € somewhat more for the serie 2 and 3. I use Audiolab S with P power stage of 40 amp made in the UK
    With 802s it is "a combination made in heaven", - beats my old set with Dynaudio Contour 3.3 to with CLASSE 151 with multiple lengths. And this DAC: Audio Alchemy DDP 1 and PS 5 Power Supply at $ 3000

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  20. Kopczas

Kopczas No nonsense audiophile

Could you tell something more about the room where you put them? I`m interested in those, or 4.2. Guess that my room size should decide.

21. Classicrock

Somehow you're reported experience is about the polar opposite of mine and many others. It could be you had a damaged pair or your amps didn't suit. Audiolabs had a rather dry sound that worked well with many 80s speakers not of the Linn/Naim persuasion. Modern speakers sound different and these are certainly more listenable than most of the current crop. Correctly positioned with enough space they do soundstage very well and are not bright in the way designs using metal tweeters are. They do need a week or two to settle down. Surprised you can't find a dealer in Denmark. I think they may be in short supply due to their popularity. These are great speakers for the money so assume something was wrong here. Personally never been enthused by a single B&W speaker I've heard past or present.

Hazelmullins likes this.
  22. Classicrock

I would ask how much 802 series 80 cost back in the day (probably several £000?) They are a big serious top range speaker. The current 802 (very different) sells for £18K. A very different sounding speaker to 4.4 Evo. You might find the difference too much if looking for an affordable modern equivalent.

Rick58 likes this.
  23. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

He does love Wharfdale speakers.

I bought a closeout set of 225s and 210s for a bedroom system I slapped together, largely based on what he had to say about them.

24. Classicrock

Now has the far more expensive Elysian 2.

bever70 likes this.
  25. Douglas Lam

Douglas Lam Forum Resident

Quite a huge jump in price!