Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

They were developed by a talented engineer and certainly have the 'Look' :agree: weighing in at 33 kg. (72 lbs. each) they also have the build.

Toneh likes this.
  2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wow, I had AP Oval 9 and switched to Foundation. Excellent! Also had switched previously from AP Micro XLR to Foundation XLRs between pre and amp.

Merkinman, DancingSea and Toneh like this.
  3. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Totally! Not to mention that dome midrange had me at "hello" :drool:

Judging purely by the photos on their website - I'd never heard of them till I clicked the link in your post BTW - makes me think those are serious speakers!
    Here's another one made closer to home (for me anyway), that's also recently caught my attention... but those French speakers man... that 12" driver, that dome midrange... + the foresight to make matching stands, totally looks the business!

33na3rd, Rick58, Harris11235 and 2 others like this.
  4. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Those Dacelo’s are beautiful! Click on the Tweeter/Driver info on the Atalante 5's, impressive and that 12" Woofer is just :eek:

Rick58 and Toneh like this.
  5. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Wow, those are beautiful. This is the first I’ve heard of them.

6. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Glad to hear you're getting good results - I use those Nordosts too - XLR's + Speaker cables... I'll be trying the matching power cords sometime soon too. Possibly get back to a "full loom" like I used to run back in the day.

Rick58 likes this.
  7. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Our friend here @GoldprintAudio is a Dealer who is expecting his first shipment any day now.

Djohm, Rick58 and Harris11235 like this.
  8. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

What price are those? Love the giant woofer….

Toneh and mreeter like this.
  9. Merkinman

Merkinman Well-Known Member

Was thinking the Nordost were going to be forward and maybe a bit too much, but they have an unforced clarity and refinement I haven't heard from speaker cables. Really great musical flow without being in your face. The Linton are really growing on me and each small tweak is just adding to it. Recently installed an English ethernet switch and SR Foundation power cable that improved the streaming SQ more than expected. Also have been eyeing those Atalante 5, but don't want to mess with a good thing. The Dovedales and Dacelos are all very interesting.

Rick58 and Toneh like this.
  10. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I've been quoted from the US Importer around $4,500 retail, stands are extra.

Djohm and DancingSea like this.
  11. Harris11235

Good to know. I’ve been focused on bookshelves recently because I can store them more easily and use them in both systems. But, Lintons keep catching my eye. These moreso, at least in the looks department.

DancingSea, Toneh and mreeter like this.
  12. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Revival Audio also offers a smaller bookshelf in the Atalante 3

ATALANTE 3

Harris11235 and Toneh like this.
  13. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Same! Also - is it just me or do those cabinets look like they're milled out of a solid block of wood :laugh:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    mreeter and DancingSea like this.
  14. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

My sentiments exactly regarding the Nordosts - in the wrong system context they can be too much of a good thing - I know that firsthand btw ;)
    But here it feels like they tease out all the clarity and definition these speakers have to offer, at least they create that sense... As you've no doubt found they can be a little too mellow and possibly even come across a little veiled without the proper "motivation". I bought mine second hand at 45% of the original price - still expensive - but there's always that pesky "cost to benefit" consideration too, and on the face of it a little absurd running wires that cost more than the speakers they're connected to, but I figure this way I set myself up for further upgrades to come?

That matches my experience with them too. They respond to each upstream tweak and can "scale up" as the system improves. I've had the benefit of trying them with multiple system configurations so I've been able to track the progression.

Sounds like we're in the same boat here - when the time does come to make a significant upgrade, I know it will require an investment significantly above the price point of the Linton's. I've been able to track down these Atalante's in Sydney, they sell for AU$8000 and another AU$750 for stands... so not an insignificant amount.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    DancingSea, Rick58 and Merkinman like this.
  15. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

So true, more proof that the Linton's are at such a value point, it's going to take a hefty investment to outclass them, if that. I would have kept the Linton's but I can only afford so many speakers.

DancingSea, Rick58 and Toneh like this.
  16. Harris11235

:doh: You’re killing me! The most recent speaker purchase doesn’t even have 100 hours on it yet!

33na3rd, Rick58 and mreeter like this.
  17. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Isn't that our purpose here, to add temptation :winkgrin:

This is a Linton Heritage 85th Thread, I've derailed it enough :sigh: I'll start another thread on the Atalante 5's if I can make it happen one day.

18. Merkinman

Merkinman Well-Known Member

They look great, but the grills were a miss I think.

bever70 and mreeter like this.
  19. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Very decent of you... thanks for introducing us to those Atalante's though... always good keeping up to date with what's out there!

33na3rd, mreeter and DancingSea like this.
  20. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

OMG I’ve enjoyed my Triangle Titus 202s for 20 years now, they make a great companion to my 300B amps.

My first real speakers Pioneer Project 100A had a soft dome midrange … yeah … :drool:

New thread: ex-Linton owners that jumped across the Channel … ? :laugh:

DancingSea, mreeter and Toneh like this.
  21. Vegking

Vegking Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm in 100% agreement, it is going to take something special to peel me away from the Lintons. They look awesome and sound amazing, so fun and enjoyable. For example, I have always disliked heavy metal with the exception of metal ballads, but here I am tonight listening to 80s hair metal and enjoying the heck out it. They will scale up with components and cables they synergies with, for example the Technic SU-R1000 really lights them up. Like mentioned before, I am on the lookout for something Linton like but even better. Until I actually try something or want to spend the kind of money to do it, I am content and thrilled to keep listening to the Lintons

egar, Toneh, Merkinman and 3 others like this.
  22. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

That one looks interesting and (co-) designed by someone who used to work for Dynaudio. What if you don't like it, can you send them back? Because cheap they are not.

A holographic soundstage is usually not associated with wide baffle speakers.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  23. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

:drool:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Vegking and Rick58 like this.
  24. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I have no idea, I doubt you're going to find these at Crutchfield's or any other Etailers that offer a trial period, but I could be wrong.

Have you ever heard a DeVore 0/93, 0/96?? They can absolutely disappear and project a 3D image beautifully. But, at a price point that is far above the Linton's and the Atalante's.

I'm not knocking the Linton's in any way, shape or form, they are a true bargain in todays Blown Up Pricing.

DancingSea and Rick58 like this.
  25. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Agreed, the grills could be better. But I would probably never keep them on the speaker, as my room can be locked to avoid any curious little fingers ;)

Merkinman likes this.