Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

It's easily the most expensive one.

It's odd that this store (somewhere in Holland) has a hard time selling the Spendors. If it was Harbeth people would be fighting over it.

2. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Spendor was where Harbeth originally came from ...in the begining ............definitely worth checking out.

3. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

4. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

5. Xpression Carbon

Xpression Carbon Forum Resident

I have owned and enjoyed both. In my room, the Linton's had a bit more warmth and a bit deeper bass, downside eventually was the laid back presentation (for me). The Mission 700 has more punch but doesn't dig quite as low, more of an exciting listen without being fatiguing. Treble is more present and extended. For the size of my smallish room, the Mission is a much better fit as I wanted a smaller Linton type speaker with a little more excitement and high frequency extension; it's the best way I can describe it. Not quite as easy to stack records in the stands though. (no wooden bottom plate incorporated). Hope this helps.

Classicrock and Rick58 like this.
  6. Branimir

Branimir Member

Hello, sorry for my broken English...
    I would like to buy new speakers. The question is new or old. My room is 25m2, square shape, not much furniture, a lot of windows. I prefer wide and deep soundstage. For now, not sure what to buy. Options are:
    Wharfedale Linton, Dynaudio Xeo 6, Kef 104.2, Dali oberon 5 or 7.
    I preffer worm and easy listening sound, not obsessed with details.
    Any help or advice would be nice, tnx :)

7. Mark Fritcher

Mark Fritcher Forum Resident

So a little over 3 weeks with these speakers, I love them! I have thrown a lot at these, I have very diverse taste so I have tried lots of my collection and have been very pleased with how everything sounds. My main interests are Live Dead and Jazz but I have dipped into my collection and played a lot of different things ( New Order, Siouxsie and The Banshees, Motorhead, Maiden, a lot of Rush, Dream Theater, Zappa, Bowie and you get the point). I have played with position and have been locked in for a week now and honestly do not want to move them. I would think I have 75 - 80 hours on them so according to many I still have lots breaking in left. For me these are perfect for my room and my ears, with most recordings the speakers have just disappeared in my room.
    A bad recording is not miraculously great, it just is what it is. I am able to listen to these with no fatigue at all, I can feel the music and they make me smile. The build is top notch and I love the Red Mahogany, I was on the fence about color but Upscale Audio had the Mahogany on sale for $1249 so that is what I got. I have had mostly vintage speakers and I do have a pair of Ascend Acoustic Sierras that are great but they do not give me the scale and the bass that these do. I have always had ok equipment and 15 years ago when I got divorced is when I started trying to upgrade my game. I knew at some point I wanted to have my "retirement system" and my first piece of that was my McIntosh MA 7000 integrated. I have had that hooked up to some Polk RTA-12 B's which I love but they are almost 40 years old with hard to find tweeters. The Lintons have been on my radar since I first saw them ,when I saw them on sale I jumped. I honestly feel like I am at a point where I can be that 13 year old kid again listening to the all in one stereo playing my Kiss records. By saying that I mean not obsessing on every little nuance, just playing great music and having a hell of a lot of fun. These are very good, musical, and fun!!!!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  8. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I can’t speak to any of the other speakers, but the Lintons would be a wonderful choice, I believe.

If you could tell us what amplifier you’re using, that would be good. The Lintons are somewhat challenging to drive, but not bad. The amplifier should be comfortable into a four ohm load.

9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

:love::love::love: perfect !!! Glad you’re enjoying them!!! :edthumbs: :cheers:
    THIS !!! My MA Silver 8s (and Triangle Tituses) are great speakers but neither gives me the scale the Lintons do. I finally understand that word. The bass is very natural and I think an improvement as well.

Imaging/soundstaging/soundscape/depth and space are all as good as either as well. Although I guess I should go back and listen to the Silver 8s before I give them to my daughter. She’s driving up mid April to pick them up.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Just Outlaw and Holler Wanderer like this.
  10. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

I look forward to listening to mine every night, every recording I listen to is like a new surprise with the Lintons. Glad you like them!

Rick58 and James Bennett like this.
  11. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Same. I’m listening to the Mono box version of Please Please Me, to celebrate its 60th a little bit, and it’s sonic butter.

12. James Bennett

I love low volume jazz listening on the Lintons; some of the nights I have spent with these speakers are among the best musical nights of my life. I don’t get the opportunity with two very young children to rock right out anymore, so I’ve turned to mid volume jazz listening, which is knocking my socks off.

MC Rag, martinb4, Clonesteak and 4 others like this.
  13. Mark Fritcher

So I have been playing many types of music to see how they handle but last night it was the Doors, Floyd, and the Dead. Played Dave's 45 and 3 from the vault, home alone incense burning and a couple of drinks. Wow just wow was it sounding great at a pretty good volume and it was a great night.

MC Rag, Rick58 and Holler Wanderer like this.
  14. Mark Fritcher

James I love the late night low volume jazz vibe as well, been playing a lot of my tone poets after the wife goes to bed and she actually likes hearing the low volume sound coming out of the music room while she is reading. I can not get her to like electric Miles yet though lol!!

15. Mark Fritcher

Rick I have the Sierras on a second system downstairs which we use a lot when in dining room and on front porch, a great little speaker but it is not the Linton lol

Rick58 likes this.
  16. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

The bass on DaP 45 is so strong on the Lintons lol, but that's because of Betty's recordings during the fall tour. Very drum heavy

Mark Fritcher likes this.
  17. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Very cool.

I drive the Lintons with a Parasound A 21 amplifier.

I also have Triangle Tituses on stands in the nearfield, drive with 8W 300B SET amps, both in the same space but one speaker/amp system at a time. I move the Tituses well out to the side and back when they are not in use.

Both systems use an SVS SB1000 Pro subwoofer below 50 Hz. They share the McIntosh C2300 tube preamplifier.

I bet my C2300/A 21 sounds close to your MA7000. I currently have the Lintons well out into the room, about 18 inches in front of the MA Silver eights.

See my profile page for a pic.

I have about 4dB of bass boost, and 1dB of treble dialed in on the C2300.

After the Silver 8s are gone, I will play with positioning of the Lintons and also of course, see if the tone controls need some adjustment. It sounds perfect to me now, and the sub extends the sonics down to 20 Hz.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  18. Mark Fritcher

Great combo with the amp and the Mc, bet it sounds amazing:tiphat:

Rick58 likes this.
  19. James Bennett

Is anybody here running a McIntosh MC275 with the Lintons?

Rick58 likes this.
  20. Branimir

Branimir Member

Thanks for quick reply Nick. For now I don't have amplifier. Dynaudio Xeo 6 are active so speakers are first on to do list... :)
    In the shop for Lintons options are Marantz 7000N, Audiolab 6000a play and some Quad. Marantz is on the sale, same price as audiolab. What do you think about that or something completely different. Tidal and Spotify will be sources.

21. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

IAG finally launches the Castle Windsor Earl and Windsor Duke, designed by Karl-Heinz Fink.

[​IMG]

Pricing and availability: The Castle Windsor Earl is £3850 per pair (£4250 with stands) while the Windsor Duke is £4500 (£5000 with stands). Made in the UK!

33na3rd likes this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Ridiculous. 20 years ago the huge UK Castle Howards were £1200. Make Dovedales look cheap, maybe that is the intention. IAG are making Harbeth look good value.

23. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Indeed, 6000 Euro for a bookshelf (stands included) from a once very affordable brand like Castle indicates that IAG is losing touch with reality. Or not, maybe it's all geared at the Chinese and Korean markets, where the 'Made In The UK' sticker just might make all the difference.

You can have the Atalante 5 plus stands for £4200.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    33na3rd and Holler Wanderer like this.
  24. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Sorry I don’t really know about those amps. Power levels are moderate, they will drive the Lintons to moderate volumes but may not be the best if you need higher volume especially in a large room.

25. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I guess no one that has one has seen this, but I’d think it’d be wonderful. Use the 4 ohm taps, the Lintons go to 4 and a bit below in the bass. Actually looking at EPDR (grey line) they’re below 4 over a fairly wide range, low to upper bass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023