Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Lolroy

Lolroy Member

Thank you for your reply!

yea, I would think so too. Just that I can get then LINTON with stand at about $1350 after bargaining which seems like a very good deal to me.

I will probably visit kef again sometime soon and make a comparison.

While researching about kef r3 vs linton today, I came across this blind test someone on another forum conducted. The result was far from my expectations. Tldr, kef r3 lost to a cheaper speaker in soundstage, imaging and vocal. https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www...x-blind-listening-results-informal.html?amp=1

ls35a and Shiver like this.
  2. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I am not surprised about Ascend Acoustics... They feature the best drivers SEAS has to offer.

ls35a likes this.
  3. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I take that "reviews" carefully when the participants had no experience in domestic audio listening.

You must know what to hear ... if you really want to find the speaker behavior. Obviously everyone can listen and do anything with that ... and it's a valid experience.

Think about an art you don't know much ... to say something ... painting. You really find why a Van Gogh is a state of the art only seeing the picture? Surely not, because you don't know about the thechnical challenges involved ... to start talking.

Or think about the people that like a ton of bass / treble as "good sound".

My opinion only.

MC Rag and mozz like this.
  4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That's an arrogant statement! We must know what to hear before judging? If someone has an idea what real music should sound like an opinion is valid. Some speakers are just too analytical at expense of musicality. The recent Wharfedale models strike me as being musical and detailed while not being over analytical. I've not been knocked out by the Kef models I've heard.

Shiver and mreeter like this.
  5. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Well, english is not my mother language and maybe some of my words sounds arrogant to you ... but was not my intention, for sure.

I talk about "know to hear" because there are some real methodology behind listening to domestic hi-fi, regarding some properties of the sound: micro / macro dynamic, soundstage, tonal balance, amplification, source, acoustics, blah blah blah.

Maybe also you don't understand the phrase "Obviously everyone can listen and do anything with that ... and it's a valid experience" ... and at last, i also don't like analitical sound over less detailed but more musical sound.

Best regards.

6. JJerm80

JJerm80 Forum Resident

I've been considering the Lintons as well...but do have a concern about the power they need. I'm running a fully restored Marantz 2245. Curious if it would have enough to drive these.

7. timind

timind phorum rezident

Wow, that was a long thread on AVS. I read the first couple pages waiting to see if someone asked whether or not the author's "recently" acquired R3s were broken in. Never found out.

8. james

james Summon The Queen

a review I was reading (maybe Tone Magazine) said they’re pretty efficient?

9. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I find them fairly efficient compared to the Dentons for instance. They are also more efficient than my totem hawks. It really also depends on how far away we listen to them.
    Listening to Kjell Tore Innervik "Utopias" right now -all percussions.... great imaging/soundstage/dynamics test tracks. I am about 11-12 foot away from each speakers (7ft apart) which makes me turn up my integrated to 10 o'clock vs 9 when I had them 7ft away from me.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  10. Boyder

Boyder Well-Known Member

I bought the Lintons for a second system that I wanted to build which is going to be powered by a vintage Marantz 2270. When they arrived I decided to set them up with my main system, just to try them out. Powered by a Mcintosh MC 452 They sounded so great I played with it for 2 mos.
    During the Christmas holidays I decided to hook it up to the Marantz 2270 and I was really surprised how good it sounded at lower volumes. They really do sound good with good amplification, which the Marantz is but, it’s not a lot of amplification, 70watts
    At higher volumes they got a little harsh.
    I also need to say that the Marantz should be refurbished, I had some work done on it a few years ago, and I’m not sure of the quality of that work.
    Maybe your Marantz 2245 will sound better at higher volumes even with the 45 Watts. One thing I can assure you is that it will sound good at lower volumes because those receivers, preamp section is so good.
    Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy the music

james and JJerm80 like this.
  11. JJerm80

JJerm80 Forum Resident

Thanks so much for that @Boyder . You may have just cost me some money!

12. Lolroy

Lolroy Member

Thank you so much for sharing guys!! Think I will bite the bullet and get linton instead of kef r3. Went to audition kef r3 and the sales rep has no effort or pride in her job. Just powered on the r3, connected to NAD M10 and play the preloaded music. It was an “open design” shop in a mall and with the background music in the mall playing, it just doesn’t work.

13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What are the chances that Wharfedale will release a 12" bass driver speaker? What were their such models in the past that could be revived?

h46e55x and Fruff76 like this.
  14. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Thanks to all Linton owners for the impressions. For anyone who's spent time comparing the Denton 80th and the Linton in the same space, I'd like some more details on the differences. I wonder if you find that the Dentons do anything ~better (?) than the Lintons, all things considered? A couple people have basically said the exact opposite in passing, but I'm still curious.
    Not a question to Nicole directly, but to anyone who has spent time with both.

15. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I think the asnwer is NO. The Lintons sound bigger, image/soundstage better (focus left to right, front to back), they go lower, mid-range and highs are cleaner.
    IMHO, the Dentons are a diminutive version of the Lintons, a bit more colored.

Octave likes this.
  16. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

Ok finally pulled the trigger a few days ago and the lintons arrived today they are absolutely incredible to look at the build and finish are stellar as was the Dentons....only have a few hours on them but they sound great already look forward getting 200 more on them...I went with the mahogany this time they are sweet I am gonna call it a double cherry pie sweet now that’s sweet

ispace, mreeter, ranch 22b and 3 others like this.
  17. james

james Summon The Queen

apologies if you’ve stated it elsewhere but what speakers have you run in your room previously?

i

18. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

I had most recently the Dentons before that I had Klipsch r-15m I use a Yamaha as-801 amp and a Audio-Technica LP7 mostly I listen to vintage albums

james likes this.
  19. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

How far out from the wall do these need to be?

20. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I have the front baffle about 21=23 inches from the wall, and they do not sound boomy whatsoever (9-11 inches back ports to wall). They sound balanced.
    Like any speaker, soundstage gets particularly deeper when you form an equilateral triangle with speakers facing right at you or a foot behind.
    I really love them. They fill the room really nicely...

James Bennett and mreeter like this.
  21. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Try listening to some double bass... like ray brown or Brian broomberg..

22. John Murray

John Murray Forum Resident

Just ordered mine today. Got the Walnut finish with stands. I'm hoping they'll gel well with my Sansui 9500 or if not the Fisher 400 but I doubt that'll have enough juice to push these speakers. Can't wait to hear them after reading all your reviews.

Reesdog, Slimwhit33 and ranch 22b like this.
  23. Lolroy

Lolroy Member

Sorry guys, I managed to get a discount for the R3 and I bought it instead of the linton. Haven deliver though!

24. Nicole Ellis

Nicole Ellis Well-Known Member

Sorry, just seeing this :/ I used the Dentons daily for 3 ish years, I only have one system. I agree with what others have said, the lintons are more efficient. They are more transparent as well.

One thing... The Dentons are more forgiving of bad source material, or weak points in your system. Also, for what you pay for them, they're incredibly impressive. If I just stopped reading reviews I could have been really happy just stopping with the Denton's. IMO they sound better than the kef r100 (don't know if that slot exists in the new R line, it was the r300s baby brother.) and that's well above the price point of the wharfedale denton.

I will say, I'm finding weak points now that I've upgraded (which kinda tells you that the lintons are a "better" speaker, but it's all subjective really.) I'm still getting used to my lintons. I had the Dentons dialed in nicely and I don't feel like I've reached that point with the lintons. That, plus they feel like they're still going through a break in/adjustment phase and the sound is still a little irregular day to day, I remember my Denton's going through the same process though so I'm not too worried.

I'm pleased, they're a worthy upgrade, but they will show flaws in source material or system issues more than the Dentons will.

ispace, Boyder, ChrisR2060 and 5 others like this.
  25. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Open Box Mahogany pair on Music Direct right now if you want to save a few hundred.

John Murray and mreeter like this.