Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Music direct show 40.6 lbs, which I assume is just the speakers w/o boxes, so lets add 6 lbs for the double boxes (just a guess). UPS online calculator for DC to Chicago shows about $86 total for two 47lb boxes, including insurance for tw0 speakers, not including stands. If local to MDir in Chicago, it would be closer to $65. BTW, if you set up a UPS account, you can get 10% t0 20% off the quoted amounts.

2. bgiliberti

Assuming they weigh 15lbs each w/boxes, that would be $42 DC to Chicago, about $29 local IL to MDir in Chicago. I should note that FEDEX ground is usually about the same as UPS, and also offers a discount if you set up an account.

3. Hydrology

Hydrology Forum Resident

The stands are far heavier than 15lbs each let me tell ya!

bgiliberti and HiFi Guy like this.
  4. bgiliberti

Yeah, I looked for a weight on MD and Crutch, but they didn't give one. I'm using old KEF stands that are no more than 15 lbs -- I guess I'm way behind the times!

5. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Regardless of weight and number of boxes, Crutchfields is doing the customer a favor at $10.00 returns.

bgiliberti likes this.
  6. bgiliberti

Absolutely ! They are considered bookshelf speakers. The fee would be $75 for floorstanders.

mreeter likes this.
  7. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Who knows, maybe the customer rep I got on the phone didn't know what they were talking about

Unfortunately I can't buy from Crutchfield as they don't sell the speakers separately from the stands (Music Direct gives this option)

8. bgiliberti

As I'm considering them for a second system, I contacted Crutchfield, and they confirmed your info. I even asked...."Are you suuuurrr," and she answered yes.

mreeter likes this.
  9. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Amazing

As I want to use different stands, I really wish I could buy just the speaker from Crutch. Wonder why they don't offer separately like MD?

bgiliberti likes this.
  10. bgiliberti

If you haven't done so already, I'd call them and ask to speak to a manager about getting the speakers separately. FWIW, they do sell the stands separately.

mreeter likes this.
  11. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Agree.. since they sell the stands separately it would make sense that they would offer the speakers alone. And I have always had great experiences with Crutchfields customer service. I think there's a decent chance they will sell just the speakers.

bgiliberti and mreeter like this.
  12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Did just that and it worked! Thanks

Can anyone tell me what kind of speaker wire is required with the lintons? I cant quite tell if there's a special connector in the back? Also was never clear on gauges...

13. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I use banana plugs with Blue Jeans BJC-10 White. They are single wire binding posts so easy to connect.

John Murray likes this.
  14. bgiliberti

Thickest OFC that will fit. The above looks great to me.

15. John Murray

John Murray Forum Resident

I also use the same Blue Jean Cables and they do the job quite nicely on my Linton's

16. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

So you need banana plugs or not necessarily? Does regular stripped wire work?

17. John Murray

John Murray Forum Resident

Regular speaker wire should work as well. I use my vintage Sansui with the Linton’s

18. bgiliberti

Getting 10 or 12 gauge wires on the speakers posts or amp without banana plugs or spades ain’t no picnic. Also safer. With the plugs, you don’t have to worry about stray strands shorting out anything.

mreeter and John Murray like this.
  19. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

For those who are thinking about getting a different integrated for your Lintons, I am testing a parasound newclassic 200 integrated and I find it to be a very good match!
    This amp is quite detailed, revealing, powerful and dynamic, fast, with a deep and wide soundstage and strong imaging. A little too lean in the bass, but clean.
    Not a bad choice at all if you don't want to invest a ton but you want the lintons well alive.

Rick58 likes this.
  20. core3m

core3m Active Member

@ChrisR2060 Don't You think that Parasound is a little to bright with Linton's ?

21. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Yeah, I'll be using with a vintage marantz that has spring clip terminals. Is there a way to connect to the springs with bare wire and then to the speaker with banana plugs? I guess just buy the generic speaker wire and install the plugs separately rather than buying wire with the plugs?

22. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

You can just buy 2 pair of plugs from Blue Jeans for the speaker ends and terminate them by hand yourself. They are screw on connectors so no soldering.

John Murray likes this.
  23. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Got it. So 14 gauge wire, exposed wire into my spring terminal amp, install banana plugs myself on the other end

John Murray likes this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Since the stands are designed specifically for the speakers and are a virtual giveaway as a package anyway that is not a wise decision.

25. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

With Linton's, I find it ok so far, but to your point I would not pair it with already bright speakers...
    What I am questioning right now is how natural that treble is. The amp has 12hrs of play, it gets quite warm to the touch.
    I am not sure what direction I am going to take... Either new classic 200 pre with the new classic separate ab amp, or keep this integrated and add the separate amp...