Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Wish I could be helpful on those particilar amps, but I do know that the Linton's are in general pretty amp agnostic and easy to drive.

Neoscan likes this.
  2. luiscardoso88

luiscardoso88 Forum Resident

I have the non play version of both amps in my living room (temporarily) and I can say they’re indistinguishable.

3. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

I've got the Audiolab 6000A Play and like it a lot. For me, it did take time for the Lintons to settle down. At first, I thought that they were too strident in the highs. I also wasn't getting the bass I wanted. Playing with the distance to the back wall helped with the bass, and time (and playing with toe-in angles) helped with the stridentness (is that even a word?)

I'm still playing with the DTS Play-Fi capabilities of the unit, as well as trying out the different digital filter selections. I don't have any experience with the Quad to help with your comparison, sorry.

Neoscan likes this.
  4. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I just put the PS Audio Stellar Gain cell and S300 behind the Lintons, and whoa, this is a few notches above what I have ever had... Transparency, texture, soundstage, imaging, dynamics... everything is considerably improved compared to what I have had so far in my audio journey. The combination is really really good.
    Over the past 6 months, I went from my trusted marantz integrated pm8004 to the parasound integrated 200 (class D), to a parasound pre200 + 2125v2 amp (class AB), to the PS ausio stellar stack.
    The parasound 2125v2 gave me what I was lacking with the marantz, effortless dynamics (power), but in comparison to the PS Audio S300, it seems to have a lot less power reserves and a lot less transparency, textures.
    So if you have the lintons and you are considering improving your amplification, PS Audio can be on your short list.

gwompek and Rick58 like this.
  5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I hope to get time to set up my Parasound P 7 / A 21 system soon, presently have Monitor Audio Silver 8s, but thinking the Lintons could be a nice 'alternative' flavor sometime. Thinking the A 21 might be a step up from the 2125v2 but the S300 ... I'd like to think the A 21 is as good or "better" being more $$$ but the power levels are similar. I think if I got a PS amp I'd have to splurge for the M700s ... but those would be a stretch! budget-wise. Oh well, I'm sure the A 21 is at least very good with all these speakers.

Congrats! on your new gear, glad it sounds great! Enjoy!

PS: I see you've had many speakers: Magnepan MMG and MG12, KEF LS50, Wharfedale Linton Heritage, B&W DM601 (among others) ... I own some DM601s and have considered Magnepans to try with my new A 21 amp (except that I have cats, so won't!). Probably hard to compare/recall, since you have a new amp now, but wondering about Magnepans vs. LS50 vs. DM601 vs. Lintons ... seems like they're all different 'flavors' with possibly the Lintons being the most 'musical' ??? maybe with a little less 'high resolution' or something than one or more than the others. I don't really think the DM601s are in the same 'class' as say the LS50s but were good for the price. I used to use them in a surround system but haven't used them in a LONG time.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    ChrisR2060 likes this.
  6. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Well, I suppose I'll throw this up here since I'm considering these speakers.

My system was mostly purchased in the 90s: Onkyo M-508 amp, P304 pre, both serviced a couple years back. I use the Parks Budgie phono pre with my Technics SL-1200mkii w/Ortofon 2m Bronze, 90% of the time, the other 10% is digital through my Marantz HD-DAC1. Current speakers are the KEF C-75s that I got as floor-models in 1993, and I want to upgrade. My room is pooor (it's my office, everything is at an angle, no other layout options). I've demo'd the Lintons at a local record shop and loved the way they sounded there. Would welcome any feedback on my system's compatibility with these speakers.

gwompek, Fruff76 and Rick58 like this.
  7. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I don't really know, but your amp seems more than adequate and powerful for the Lintons Onkyo Grand Integra M-508 power amplifier and if "JGH" liked it, it must sound very good. Having recent service I bet it'll be great on the Lintons. They are seemingly a relatively easy load (88dB sensitivity, a small area that dips to 4 ohms, but the Onkyo can most likely drive that with ease). Maybe it's good if you "know" the Onkyo is 'comfortable' with 4 ohm loads, I'm not 100% certain but think so. It's too late here for me to research any more ... ZZZZZZzzzzzz.... :)

Looks like some folks are asking the original MSRP for used units, seems like these are well thought of.

If you haven't seen it, here's a really nice review with measurements Wharfedale Linton Heritage loudspeaker ... The comment "The (KEF) LS50s play tight, super-coherent, and subjectively fast with a wide range of amplifier types. The LS50's bass is always taut and tuneful. But the overall sound leans to the left brain. In comparison, the Lintons sound less focused but much bigger and fuller and right-brain rich, with soul and good timbre. The KEFs play the sounds well, while the Wharfedales play the songs well" makes me think I'd really like these, if my Silver 8s sound too analytical ... we'll see. Maybe your present KEF speakers are sort of like the LS50s? and the Lintons may give you a different but more likable and enjoyable take on the music.

PS/edit: "everything is at an angle" isn't always a bad thing, it can break up standing waves and room modes/nodes etc.. Just try to set things up so your ears and the speakers are in an 'equilateral triangle' or stretched triangle ... many folks deliberately angle their setups for this reason. OK, NOW I'm gonna hit the sack! Good night and good luck!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    gwompek and Clucking like this.
  8. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

The A21 must be a good amp also, more refined than the 2125.
    Cats and magnepan... You can easily train cats with a spray bottle, all you have to do is catch them in the act a couple times and you're set for years.

gwompek likes this.
  9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Your M-508 is excellent for these or any reasonable speaker. From the service manual: Continuous Power Output at 1kHz (DIN) is 2 x 215W into 8 ohms and 2 x 315W into 4 ohms, with <0.003% THD and IM at 1W and at rated power ... Damping factor 140 (8 ohms, 1kHz), S/N ratio 120dB ... The Damping Factor would be higher into 4 ohms, not 100% sure if higher at 4 ohms and 100Hz or something, but I don't think it's worth 'worrying' about at all. This means it will 'control' the woofers well, maybe if the damping factor was >>100 there would be 'more' control but I don't think this is a concern.

These specs are 'dated' in that continuous power into 8 and 4 ohms from 20Hz-20kHz isn't specified, but rest assured it won't have any difficulties or possibility of damage driving the Lintons to jet-engine levels. Probably would blow a speaker before the amp would break a sweat.

10. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Damn, I’d love to have those Onkyo amps.

11. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

REALLY appreciate everyone's input, I'm pretty much sold. I'll post pictures & my thoughts once I pull the trigger. Might be after Christmas.

gwompek, Joshua Tree and Rick58 like this.
  12. tomlomtimlim

tomlomtimlim Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

I am close to buying a pair of Lintons. Could someone tell me what sort of space is enough for them. My room is 4.3 m x 4.7 m and I am a little worried it might be too small for them.

Thanks

13. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

EDIT. Misread your post. Have deleted what I wrote.

14. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

It all depends on how you will position them and yourself in the room. And by the way, is it a closed room or is it open to other space?
    I have had mine in a 12ftx12ft dedicated space, so smaller than yours, with me and the speakers forming a 7ft equilateral triangle, and it was fabulous, much better than in my larger room.
    But this room was half open in the back and on the right side, so very little reflection points.

Dafox and tomlomtimlim like this.
  15. tomlomtimlim

tomlomtimlim Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris. My room is closed but I will not be getting the Linton's now as the seller (they were used) will not be available for collection. I will wait for something with higher sensitivity now unless another pair of cheap Lintons pop up.

16. Neoscan

Neoscan New Member

Hi, okay, great. That is very interesting to know. I thought they’d be very similar but good you’ve found that result.

17. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I think if I needed a new pair of speakers these would probably be it.

18. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

best way to take off the grills? having trouble getting a good hold...

19. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

flat spatula or knife helps loosing it up on each side/corner.

Crush87 likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

A credit card should lift them without damage.

21. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Thanks guys, used a plastic spatula and worked like a charm

Rick58 likes this.
  22. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

I just ordered the Lintons. They just shipped. Been drooling over these for awhile. Happy owner of the 80th Denton for the last 5 years+ excited for an upgrade. The real test will be if my Onkyo A-9150 will have the guts to drive them properly.
    If not I am in the search of an integrated. One thing at a time I suppose.I wish Onkyo made an amp like the a9010, but with more power, that amp is magical with the Dentons for some reason.

Rick58, ChrisR2060 and bajaed like this.
  23. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I bet your Onkyo will be great.

Power Output -
    4 ohms 2 x 60 W/Ch
    High-Current Low-Impedance Drive ✓

The Lintons are highish efficiency 88dB/W/m and are 4 ohms in a few regions, but I think as long as moderate levels are used, should have no issues. The amp seems designed for at least as low as 4 ohms.

The 9010 may be just fine too ...
    Number of Channels 2
    Power Rating 44 W per channel @ 8 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2-channels driven, FTC
    Speaker Impedance 4 to 16 Ohms

They don’t mention 4 ohms power ratings but (again at less than jet engine levels) seems like this should be fine. It does say 4-16 ohms, so assuming at least the same power, 44W isn’t much different than 60W. It may even put out 60W or more ...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Gizmo90 likes this.
  24. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

Right on! That's reassuring. I think the A9010 does 70w RMS into 4ohm but I'm not sure.

Rick58 likes this.
  25. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

about the power.. it really depends on how far away from the speaker you/re going to be and how big the room is.
    But if it works well with the dentons now, it is going to work very well with the lintons as they are more efficient.
    Please tell us when you have them all setup!

Rick58 likes this.