Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I have Titus monitors on stands in the nearfield 7’ apart and from my ears, and 6’ from any wall. Soundstage city, speakers totally disappear. I don’t think that will happen with my Silver 8s that are 2’ from the rear wall but at the same 60 degree angle apart. But I’m getting some room treatment to see if it helps in that regard.

If the Dentons are in the SAME place as you put your Lintons, then yes, it’s likely just the speakers themselves or their interaction with the walls that’s reducing the soundstage you’re getting.

ChrisR2060 and insoc123 like this.
  2. insoc123

insoc123 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for your answer. My room has been acoustically treated and I've seen a great improvement but none have helped to get the same soundstage of the Dentons with my Lintons.

P.S. Are you talking about Triangle Titus? I have a pair of them (the 202) speakers. I bought them back in 2003. Such great speakers!

3. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I am thinking your lintons need a bit more space (wider/longer triangle) than the Dentons, . I have both too, I have played them in the same room same positions, always toed-in straight toward right behind my head. I don't remember having felt a difference in imaging, but it could be. Maybe the Dentons are little bit more directional; obviously has a much smaller baffle.
    I agree those Dentons are so good sounding... I just put them back on stands on secondary system (tubes and near/mid field) after a 18-month put-away, and I really like them! Much more musical than an old pair of B&W DM601. Not as good as my my totems hawks, but pleasant enough to swap from time to time. The Lintons are setup in a space twice as large (I sit 10ft away, family room), a space in which unfortunately I hear the room too much to appreciate them to their fullest.

Dafox, insoc123 and Rick58 like this.
  4. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I’ve had both back to back in the same room. Lintons needed to be further into the room and toed in more to sound best. In fact toe in was critical to my enjoyment of the Lintons. I spent a fair bit of time (weeks) with the spikes off so they could easily be turned on my carpeted floor dialing it in. As others noted I find the best position to be crossing 1-3 feet behind my head rather than pointing directly at me or firing straight ahead. Denton is much less fussy on placement in my experience. I’m frankly not surprised you don’t like them as much firing straight ahead. Neither did I.

insoc123, ChrisR2060 and Rick58 like this.
  5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

YES !!! they are still my main speakers, driven by Bottlehead 300B Paramount kit amps. I upgraded the tweeter high pass filters to great effect. SAME models, I bought them new probably in the same year.

Sounds like bringing the Lintons a bit more out into the room and toeing them in might help, but I don't know if the soundstage will be as awesome as the Tituses or Dentons. I have the Silver 8s driven by a Parasound A 21, am curious about the Lintons as yet another alternate system to enjoy ...

insoc123 likes this.
  6. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wow, I had DM601s as well (still do but not using them) before I got the Triangle Tituses (which seem possibly similar in some ways to the Dentons). The 601s were an upgrade from my previous speakers ("3D Acoustics" 3 piece 'satellite + passive sub system, $500 total) but yes, the Tituses/Dentons are in a different league. I think the 601s were $300/pair when I bought them, Tituses $500/pair. Substantially improved sound for sure.

insoc123 and ChrisR2060 like this.
  7. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Curious, how far into the room (Lintons)? and how 'deep' is the room? My room is about 18' deep, I sit about 1/3 of the way 'in' (6' or so from the wall). My Triangle Tituses are also about 6' or so from the wall, and about 6' apart. So that's a nearfield setup.

My Silver 8s at the moment are about 3' from the wall to the front of the speaker (and on one side only about 2' from the wall, going to treat that side for sure). Guessing the Lintons may like to be even further out ...

8. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I have had mine very close to the back wall (10"), but I think the most important thing is to cut as much as indirect sound as possible, either with room treatment or by placing your triangle into the room so you get mostly direct sound from the speakers and little inditect. If speakers has to be close to the back wall, then maybe add absorbing material behind.

9. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

My Lintons are about 4.5 feet from the front wall to the front corner of the speakers. Room is 20 feet deep and I have acoustic panels at the side first reflection points. Seat is 6-7 feet from speakers and they are 6-7 feet apart.

Dafox, Rick58 and ChrisR2060 like this.
  10. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

wow, cool. Seems consistent with reviewers saying they like a bit of room behind them. And also some decent power, which you seem to have.

insoc123 likes this.
  11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wow just reread this, you’re in the nearfield. Interesting they integrate well that close.

With my Silver 8s it’s an equilateral triangle too but about 11 feet on a side. I do like the 60 degree “field of view”, I always seem to come back to that.

12. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Yep. I have had the same distances in an open room and it was great.

Rick58 and maglorine like this.
  13. DrGoon

DrGoon Forum Resident

It took a while - apparently Texas had some weather - but I finally got my Lintons and stands today. This is as good as (and even better than) my system has sounded since my Mission Argonaut Mk 1s (apparently designed by the same engineer) were destroyed on their way to the US a long time ago. That said, they would likely sound even better with more power than I'm feeding them from my Concordant Quad IIs, so I'll start saving for a new tube amp next. However, even with the Quads and even with only a couple of hours on them, they're engaging and articulate. I got five hours of rock music in before the house needed to be quiet enough for my wife to sleep. Tomorrow I'm going to run them off my Yamaha amp to get an idea of how they sound with more power.

14. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

In my opinion these things really show their capabilities with lots of power (relative to room size, etc). My tube amp wasn’t quite enough at 20-40wpc. Switched to a Peachtree Nova300 and hearing much more of what I was hoping.
    What Yamaha amp do you have? I was looking at an a-s1200 or an 801 prior to snagging the Peachtree.

ChrisR2060, Rick58 and DrGoon like this.
  15. DrGoon

DrGoon Forum Resident

It's a Yamaha TSR-7910 surround receiver. Not what I want to power my stereo system with, but front channels should be up to a theoretical 95W, so it'll bear investigating.

Spooky likes this.
  16. DrGoon

DrGoon Forum Resident

That was an easy experiment. Yes, more power is desirable, but the Yamaha sounds rubbish compared to the Quads, so that's not the way to get it. Something decent above 40W is indicated, with my preference being to replace tubes with tubes. I do like my brother-in-law's Primaluna, so that may be the way to go.

Rick58 and Spooky like this.
  17. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

I’ve been eyeing a Rogue Cronus III. 100wpc tube amp. That should be a nice match for if/when I want to get back into tubes.

Rick58 likes this.
  18. DrGoon

DrGoon Forum Resident

That's an option, made easier by the fact that my local hi-fi dealer sells them. In fact, it was the amp that I first heard the Lintons through and its a GREAT match.

Rick58 and Spooky like this.
  19. brownmagic

brownmagic Well-Known Member

I have the Nova 300 and I have the lintons coming in this weekend. I thought they might be an overkill but good to know that you are having good results.

Rick58, ChrisR2060 and Spooky like this.
  20. brownmagic

I have a Line Magnetic LM-150 which has 100 watts which I will also try with the Lintons.

21. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Anxious to hear your impressions between the Nova and the LM!

I’m really loving the Nova with these.

Fun fact: Previously had a Nova150 paired with some Klipsch 8000f’s and found it fatiguing and slightly grainy.

My journey led me back to a Peachtree because of the more laid back nature of the Lintons and how I thought they actually needed a slight push in the upper mids. Working out great so far...

ChrisR2060, Rick58 and DrGoon like this.
  22. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Herb loved the LM / Linton combo (lower power than the 150). Also Rogue tubes.
    Wharfedale Linton Heritage loudspeaker check out the measurements, while efficient, these beasts seem to need a good current delivery from the amp. Of course lowish power amp and reasonable volume levels should likely be fine.

23. brownmagic

I got my lintons today. Out of the box the bass was just too boomy for my room. I hav them about 12 inches from the rear wall. I had to put a sock in each port and the boominess had gone. However the treble was very harsh. I then realised that the speakers were placed on opposite sides since the box had them labelled incorrectly. Putting the speakers in such a way that the W logo is on the outside surely changed the treble. The harshness reduced drastically. I still feel that the speaker feels a little constricted. Forums all over say that 150 to 200 hours is a good time for them to be at their best. My initial impression is that they are an easy speaker. Big sound and the bass is fun. Laid back. It has enough resolution but compared to my main rig, the treble extension and refinement is a long way off. I was aware of this before buying so I am not complaining. I am currently running them with a Peachtree Nova 300. I can tell that the lintons can use power. I dont know how people are able to run them with low powered amps. I think for the money, you really cant go wrong with these as long as your expectations are in check. Will revert with more once I put them through their paces. Any tips from fellow Linton owners?

ChrisR2060, Mad Dog, Spooky and 2 others like this.
  24. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I'm not an owner yet but IIUC they like to be a bit further from the wall. Yes things should get better after 10s or 100s of hours.

The mislabeling seems to be a thing with these. Annoying but IF I get some of these need to remember this !!!

Spooky likes this.
  25. brownmagic

I also tried them at 2 feet. They are still boomy. I do not want to make any critical listening now. Been too long in the game to know that speaker break in is real. LOL. But to be honest the sock works really well. So if there are people who are on the fence because of its bass, they can be rest assured that stuffing something into just one port does the trick