Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Well I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions listening to some Rolling Stones.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the material but it is about the last thing I’d reach for if I wanted to put some speakers through their paces.

What else did you guys hear on them?

In terms of performance expectations based on price, that gets dicey because a lot can have to do with location of production, volume, etc.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i didnt hear any lack of refinement, just what i assume to be a conscious decision to voice them a certain way.

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i love and still own 80s vintage polk monitors and unless they revise the lintons significantly before full release they will never sound as good.

psulioninks likes this.
  4. wim1983

wim1983 Well-Known Member

One reason I suspect that Denton has more bass flexibility could be due to the Kevlar bass drivers elasticity, a lot of bass drivers are quite stiff, e.g. like Dynaudio, generally I would a bit hesitate when I see a sharp cone in the middle of bass driver, it seem limit how elastic and flexible bass notes can perform, though I have to say Denton has very very engaging bass for drum, just that it's not big and dynamic enough, if Linton actually is a "larger" Denton 80, then it will be the "Heritage" for a long time... Recently I've purchased a Sonus Faber Sonetto I, it sound neutral from to top to bottom, with excellent control of bass, more dynamic, detailed and controlled than the Denton, though I think it's less forgiving if vs Denton slightly warm romantic sound.

5. soultribe

soultribe New Member

just back from audition of the wharfedale. i think it sound great but need higher power to push it up another notch.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What amplification you heard them with?

7. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

8. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

9. merelyok

merelyok Forum Resident

Well here's an unboxing video ( In Chinese ).

clhboa, Ric-Tic, ThorensSme and 4 others like this.
  10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

At the Brystol show:

33na3rd likes this.
  11. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I know it's a youtube video, but right out of the box, I don't think they sound bad. I like the looks of the stands, but doubt if they are as substantial as the Skyland's.

ls35a likes this.
  12. layman

layman Forum Resident

The Graham Audio BBC LS 5/8 playing the same track:

13. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I had no problem understanding his chinese.
    Between JBL, Graham, Harbeth, Spendors, and more budget friendly wharfedale, the big stand-mount speakers are going to be IT in the coming months! Awsome. I want them all.

timind, Fruff76 and mreeter like this.
  14. Michael Mastin

Michael Mastin New Member

I too love my E-70's back in the late 70's thru the 80's. Best rock speaker I had ever heard without question. Wish I still had them!

15. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

arem, ChrisR2060, Soundsense and 2 others like this.
  16. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

You quite literally accused the guy of being a plant, a liar, a hi-fi hooligan, and then you get mad because he “yells” at you?

Laughing out loud.

17. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

I am sorry, was there a point there? More than pointing a finger and sniggering?

18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

19. wim1983

hmm I'm considering a pair of Spendor Classic 3/1, kinda like a safer bet for me than anything else in the market, currently does not have a mood on my Sonus Faber Sonetto I, sound flat and neutral, lack any romantic and musical color, most importantly does not "filter" noise for less than perfect old school recording (not forgiving).

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  20. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

Yes, there is a point, and I feel certain it's crystal clear. You have a nice day.

21. Helom

Helom Forum member

The "warmth" level of Spendor Classics is largely dependent on the driver bolt torque IME. Tighter midbass and tweeter bolts result in a warmer balance. Just an FYI in case you go that route.

22. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

I am sorry if I stepped on your toes when I called out a moniker that I perceived was a shill. Have a nice day too. Cheers!

23. wim1983

I have faith that the Spendor got it right the sound, musical, warm but not too lush, maintain clean clear resolution without sacrificing too much details, the Denton fit those criteria well, just need to improve a bit on dynamic and sound stage I would say.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  24. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Wonder if the denton 85 are doing just that: more dynamics and soundstage.

25. wim1983

Denton 85th is not, I had listened to it for quite some period of time, overall tonal balance is quite rough, especially the tweeter is not so smooth to my ears, the bass cone is to me another design methodology, which turns out to be not as flexible as Denton 80th great elasticity.

ChrisR2060 likes this.