Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

True of most speakers.

Alright4now likes this.
  2. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

I agree too. The Lintons are a bit revealing really. Needs good recordings and power to sound best. I was using the Denton 80th the last few months again and I think they do a little better making most things sound really "nice" while the Lintons will show you the bad aspects of recordings

3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Again, true of most speakers.

ispace likes this.
  4. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Joined the gang! Still messing with positioning a bit but probably only have 50 hours or so and trying not to change too many things at once. Had them toed in a bit but this seems better now.

[​IMG]

5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I'm playing my Canadian CD pressing of Supertramp's Crime of the Century through my Linton speakers right now and it sounds very dynamic and engaging to me.

I haven't posted my own review of the Linton after listening to them since I got them months ago. I throw as many genres of music as possible and most of them do sound great. One day, I'll get around to that.

Dazz and ChrisR2060 like this.
  6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Whatever works for you but that speaker placement, considering two rear firing ports, looks terrible. If I could figure out how to incorporate a pair of this in my place, I'd love to try them but Wharfdale suggests different positioning than your picture shows. From everything I've read, they need to be out in the room and away from the walls (back and side). Otherwise, everything else looks lovely!

7. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

My room is something I’ve always had to contend with. It’s open on one side, got a halfway behind me, and living room next to me. With my old speakers the bass would literally disappear once I sat down. The REL fixed that. Anyways the bass isn’t too much the way they are, I even tried taking the REL out the mix but just adjusting the xover a bit was the best so far. My place must have built in traps somehow or my hearing is going!

IRG likes this.
  8. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I just bought the Stirling BBC LS3/6, put them on the Lintons stands (perfect fit), and I can tell that for the money, the Lintons are really really good. I am getting used to the Stirling now, but I'll put back the Lintons on the stands for comparison at some point.

alanb, mreeter, Rick58 and 1 other person like this.
  9. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Now that you mention it, this seems to be the latest trend for Harbeth owners as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Paul Comeau has re-ignited an old standard!

11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Maybe I misunderstand but it seems that the speakers and/or your seat need to move. You’re sitting in a null area … move the seat a couple feet forward or back?

12. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Just saw this … OMG DO YOU REALIZE HOW LUCKY YOU ARE??? :D

Most wives (mine included) have almost zero interest in gear, and all the trappings of audiophilia … I’m very fortunate now to have a separate space that I can pretty much do with what I want, but still it’s a tolerate vibe rather than supportive encouragement.

You, sir, are very blessed. :agree:

13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

BTW the Lintons ARE a pretty demanding load. Seems like the upper tier Yamaha integrateds do very well with them though.

14. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

For a speaker meant for a large demographic (affordable price range, vinyl collecting hipsters, retro freaks, ...) you would expect that a modest intergrated amp would be sufficient to drive the Lintons, no?

15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Here's what Wharfedale posts for sensitivity, power requirements and impedance:

[​IMG]

16. luiscardoso88

luiscardoso88 Forum Resident

I really believe that any decent, recent amp can support a minimum 3.5Ohm load. And since they’re very sensitive, you won’t be using a lot a power anyway, unless you’re listening at unsafe levels.
    Don’t overthink it. :)

ChrisR2060 and Fishoutofwater like this.
  17. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Like most things in life, it's trial and error. I am very happy how my Yamaha A-S 1100 works with the Lintons, seems that @martinb4 runs them with a small tube amp and is satisfied as well.

ispace and Rick58 like this.
  18. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

exactly the same here.

19. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

The former (tolerate) or the latter (encourage)?

20. James Bennett

sorry, my wife merely tolerates.

Rick58 likes this.
  21. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wharfedale Linton Heritage loudspeaker Measurements I keep going back to this … 5 ohms and -45deg phase is “equivalent” to about 2.5 ohms or so. Not to say it’s an extreme load, but wimpy amps will have issues. Seems like good 4 ohm rated amps do not, including tubed amps.

Reading the review, they used low powered amps including Line Magnetic and were very pleased. Less good tube amps with less worthy output transformers likely wouldn’t be as good with them.

Just saying that if folks with average lower budget receivers are disappointed that’s possibly the cause.

22. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I think we’re members of a very large club.

James Bennett and IRG like this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Folks think about speaker placement. Lintons and BBC type speakers such as Harbeth should be 3' from the back wall and it is not good for sound if they are each side of a cabinet. Your SQ comments won't be reliable or relevant if used in a highly sub optimal placement. Most of the pictures of set ups here just tell me I'm learning nothing about how they should sound.

csgreene likes this.
  24. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I am so used to acoustic suspension speakers and their easier placement that the dual ports of the Lintons make me think twice about trying them as I couldn't place them ideally. Meanwhile, my Celestion DL-8IIs are quite forgiving with their sealed design and sound wonderful in my room.

25. James Bennett

mine are placed in all the wrong ways according to your statements and they still sound great to me. Would love to have them 3’ from a wall but it’s not happening.

Rick58 and Reesdog like this.