Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This would make them more pricey than ATC. Hand made small manufacturer in Gloucestershire. Drivers of very high quality made in house. I just don't see how they can stand up against ATC, ProAc, Neat etc on performance v price. Brands I would not consider 'affordable'. Only draw is the 'retro' looks. Same reason I criticise BBC type designs but at least the brands that make them have a boutique exclusive reputation. The BBC Heritige also ensures sales in the far east. Anyway we don't know the UK pricing yet which is lower for other Wharfedale models. If Richer Sounds are allowed to sell them I think they will get discounted.

2. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I meant more than 2000 Euro. If 6000 Euro for the Dovedales isn't justified, then why would they sell the Astons at a reasonable price? I don't expect reason.

The retro look is a plus, IMO. IAG must have a reason that they just have released 6 new speakers with retro looks. That means the Lintons and Dentons are selling well. It means that they believe there is a demand.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  3. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

4. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

There is even a gold edition?

ultron9 likes this.
  5. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

Is this real? Not a fan of that, too OTT for my taste..

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  6. Olcham

Olcham New Member

I too have the Wharfedale Lintons paired with an Arcam SA20. I bought them around 6 months ago and they're still breaking in I think, although I don't get much of an opportunity to play them too loud to help with that. I'm really happy with the overall sound, but I do find that the tweeter sounds harsh when the volume is turned up on some tracks. Have you found the same?

Jeff Sanders likes this.
  7. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Ian White (ecoustics) names Denton 85th as one of his favorite speakers under £1000.

8. Slapshot

Slapshot Forum Resident

I've read every review available on both the Wharfedale Linton Heritage, and the Wharfedale Denton 85tth Anniversary. I am about to purchase one of them, but have two key questions for those
    of you who own either, both, etc.

First question. Can the Linton's work in a smaller room? My room is 12x9, and they would be placed on the long wall. Distance would be about 16-16 inches off the back wall, and just over 7 feet to the listening position.
    While, based on my other research, reviews, and reading through this very extended discussion, I strongly suspect that the Dentons would be more suitable for a room my size. However, the significantly greater bass of the
    Lintons would be of great advantage to what I will be listening to. Please note that I listen to, at most, moderate levels only.

Second question. Is a very solid 60wpc sufficient?

Your expertise, experience and specific knowledge is greatly appreciated in assisting me in making the right choice. Thanks.

Rick58 likes this.
  9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I don’t own either but would think the Dentons would fit better. Add an SVS SB1000 Pro sub.

ultron9 and AC1 like this.
  10. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I think the amp would be ok for the Lintons too, in a smaller room. But possibly they’re a bit too big for the room? I don’t know.

11. Slapshot

Slapshot Forum Resident

Good idea, but there is already an SVS 3000 micro sub in the room, connected to a different system. The additional speakers I buy for this, special needs, separate system will have to provide bass on their own.

12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I have the Lintons in a small room and ran therm for a good while with a 70 WPC tube amp. No issues whatsoever.

WapatoWolf likes this.
  13. MrSnoid

MrSnoid Well-Known Member

I have the Linton Heritage speakers in an 11’ x 13’ room. Speakers are on the 11’ end about 18” off the wall. Running the Linton’s through a Rotel A11 Tribute @ ~50 WPC using TT/CD and Streaming. I am extremely happy with this configuration. Great bass no subs required. Very balanced - high or low volume. I bought mine without the stands but have them mounted on 21” stands - great speaker and under valued. Good luck with your decision

WapatoWolf and Rick58 like this.
  14. Slapshot

Slapshot Forum Resident

I appreciate learning about both of your experiences using Linton's in a small room. I'm also pleased that it will play well with 50wpc. Thanks.

I know that the Denton is designed to function best with its grill in place. Is that also true of the Linton? It is SO much more attractive with the grills off.

WapatoWolf likes this.
  15. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Yes, for a smoother sound, you must leave the grilles on. I ultimately prefer the look with grilles on as well. ;)

16. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

While I don't disregard the experiences of other members who use their Linton's in small rooms your room is quite modestly sized and I'm inclined to think your instincts are correct and that the smaller Denton's may be a more sensible bet. My Linton's easily pressurize a 31.5 m2/340 sq foot open plan space (I sit around 2.5m from the baffles) and (for what it's worth) mine aren't any further out from the wall than what you've proposed, but I do have 1100mm/3.6 ft clear either side and they're 2.5 m apart. I just don't think that these are "small room" speakers and I'd be concerned they'd overload that small a room. I've heard them get boomy quite readily in a small demo room.

As for the 60w amp - that should be sufficient power... but do note this passage from Stereophile's measurements of their review pair "the minimum magnitude is 3.4 ohms at 130Hz, and there is a demanding combination of 5 ohms magnitude and –46° electrical phase angle (dotted trace) at 83Hz. The Wharfedale will work best with amplifiers that are comfortable driving 4 ohms." In other words, while you wouldn't describe them as "hard to drive" in the way so many speakers designed to tax the bejezus out of their partnering amp are, they're not necessarily a cakewalk either. So how robust the amplifier is (I.E good, strong current supply) and it's "comfort" with 4 Ohm loads will matter a great deal. May I ask what your amp is?

I have two amps on hand - one Class A/B device offering just over 190w RMS @ 4 Ohms and another (Class D device) with 440w RMS @ 4 Ohms and there's no question that the Linton's benefit from both the additional power and speed and grip of the Class D amp especially at lower listening levels.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  17. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

A 12x9 room with TWO systems? Seems very cramped, but …

I usually bring this up too, thanks Toneh! The “effective impedance” at certain frequencies is something like 2.5 ohms, but I figured a good 60W amp in a small room at not too high a listening level would be OK.

Toneh likes this.
  18. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I mixed up yours and another post, 60W MIGHT and hopefully would be sufficient but the quality matters. If it’s 60W into 8 and 100W into 4 that’s a good sign.

Seems like they really sing with tube amps …

Toneh likes this.
  19. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I'm not sure if room size is all that important. My Lintons and Dentons 85 sound best in my large room. My small room simply isn't a good room for sound. The only speakers that sound good in that room are my tiny Pioneer Pure Malt speakers.

[​IMG]

Tim 2 likes this.
  20. Slapshot

Slapshot Forum Resident

My amp has shown closer to 75wpc into 8 ohms and 97 wpc into 4 ohms in actual testing.

Rick58 likes this.
  21. MrSnoid

MrSnoid Well-Known Member

@Slapshot you may have seen this already but i influenced my decision to buy the Linton’s

Reesdog likes this.
  22. Slapshot

Slapshot Forum Resident

Thanks for providing that. I had not seen it before. Very informative about power needed for the Lintons and potential shortcomings of the Dentons.

23. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I'm sure he didn't bi-wire the Dentons. When single wired, cymbals and hihats come to the foreground, nothing to do with the amp.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Not an owner but based on experience with the large Evo 4.4 and other speakers you are better off with the Denton. Maybe you should wait for the new Aston which is claimed to give Linton performance in a smaller box.

25. AmadeusMozart

AmadeusMozart Forum Resident

I'd the Denton 80th Anniversary, got replaced by the ProAc Tablette 10 which are being replaced by the Falcon Q7 complete @ home. The latter two are pretty similar but I prefer the vocal ability of the LS3/5A and that's the same in the Q7 at a far lower price. Q7 does not have the bass hump of the LS3/5A so easier to integrate with a sub should it be required. Sale of the ProAc Tablette will fund the Q7. (I'd the LS3/5A in the past and in a moment of insanity sold them. Also had some Kef constructor series CS1 and CS1A which are a low cost LS3/5A version and very similar in size to the Q7)