Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

But it sounds so great at 'reasonable' levels but seems to run out of gas louder. I know the Linton's dip towards 3 ohms so may need an easier load for the Model 30. The Uniti Star goes plenty loud enough but not as dramatically good SQ at lower listening levels.

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

That’s why I stated “when the going gets tough.” Lower listening levels don’t tax the amplifier.

3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

It’s how the Class D is implemented. I had a Rogue Pharoah integrated (Class D but much more power than your Marantz) paired with Maggies. High volume and heavy bass would make it go into protection. Every time. A much less powerful tube amp worked great.

No issues at all with the Lintons and a NAD C298 power amp- also Class D. It’s a match made in heaven.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    FunnyChap likes this.
  4. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

The PS Audio S300 power amp advertises 2 ohm stable and seems like a combo of class A and class D (not the most knowledgeable on this stuff) so I don’t think that’s my issue. At least I hope not because I am past the return period on the speakers

Nielsoe likes this.
  5. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Tell me more please... a combination I'm very interested in trying.

Rick58 likes this.
  6. galone_es

galone_es Forum Resident

Does Wharfedale not provide foam taps for the rear ports of the Linton speakers ?

Nielsoe likes this.
  7. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

No, they do not.

8. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Anyone tried this crossover mod on the Lintons yet?

[​IMG]

Results, reportedly, were:

"They really open up and breathe, and are more capable of delivering dynamics - even at lower volume levels".

9. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

That's the German Headquarter Audio mod, right? I think somebody here tried his first mod, and while this poster was very positive about it, he also said there might even be too much treble sometimes. I can't speak of personal experience, but there have been plenty of de 'ride cymbal' moments when I thought, if the Lintons were more trebly, it would actually be too much.

Nielsoe likes this.
  10. raye_penber

raye_penber .

From what I can gather, it's not a treble mod - more of an 'opening up' mod.
    Curious to hear it in the flesh (along the rest of the Heritage line, too).

11. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

'Opening up' or more 'clarity' in the treble range has to do with frequencies as well. Usually a narrow peak somewhere between 10 or 12 kHz will give you that. Some studio engineers add a very narrow peak of 5 dB at around 15 kHz to give the recording more 'air'.

Toneh and Nielsoe like this.
  12. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Could well be, but the point this person was making (and I had a very long conversation with him) was that it didn't add to any perceived top end - it simply opened up the soundstage and made the Lintons more dynamic at low volume levels. He found that he was always pushing the volume up before. Maybe that's down to amp choice? Could well be. I'm sure he said that he used several, but I can't quote it off the top of my head. I'll go back and have a look.

Nielsoe likes this.
  13. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Yer, I wouldn't fu..., I mean mess with them. They were not designed to impress in the demo room, rather they are meant to be used for long term music listening.

14. raye_penber

raye_penber .

People mod speakers all the time.
    In the guitar world we rarely use anything that's stock.
    Always a tech around modifying a 4x12 loaded with greenbacks.
    But like I said, this guy made the mod and seemed very happy with the outcome - but who knows what amps he was using.

15. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Possibly. I certainly don't feel like I have to push my amp. Their ability to sound good at low volume has always impressed me. BTW, my amp (Denon PMA-1510ae) recently broke down and so I momentarily replaced it with my much cheaper Denon PMA-510ae. During that time, everything I listened to left me completely unmoved. The repairman that I brought the amp to couldn't fix it (due to parts unavailable) so I went to my hifi shop and bought a used silver Denon PMA-2000IVR (today that would be the Denon PMA-2500NE) and now the Lintons move me again (with a treble that is more smooth and realistic than with the PMA- 1510AE). Is it all nothing but a 'placebo effect'? Maybe, but what can you do? Once it's in your head it's impossible to get rid of it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Rick58 likes this.
  16. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

17. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

Well, i haven’t heard the Lintons, yet i want to based on most descriptions of the sound. I HAVE owned the KEF LS50 Wireless
    and in my experience they sound too sterile and clinical for me. They are great for TV since they are so clear, but i just didnt find
    them very musical and rather fatiguing, so i sold them. Another thing that bothered me was they sounded pretty boring and lifeless
    at low volume levels. I enjoy a speaker i can play at night at low volume while still sounding full and dynamic and the KEFs didn’t take me
    there. The KEFs were the last metal driver speaker i will buy. I have owned the Revel Performa F208s, Monitor Audio Golds, Martin
    Logan Spires (referring to their aluminum bass driver) and the KEFs and found a similar trait, that most metal driver speakers, while
    having great clarity and speed, sound emotionless and uninvolving. I’ve liked a couple of titanium tweeters (PSB Synchrony One,
    Signet 280) and Harbeth’s aluminum tweeter, but overall, soft dome tweeters and non-metal cones are more musical and rewarding
    for my ears (particularly as i get older).

18. galone_es

galone_es Forum Resident

Those of you who have a Wharfedale Linton speakers,
    at what distance from the rear wall are you placing them ?

19. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

After three years of use I have them 45 cm from the rear wall.

Toneh likes this.
  20. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

'Distance from the wall' should be measured starting from the driver itself, not the rear of the cabinet.

21. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Same here - 45 cm measured from the rear of the cabinet or 78 cm measured from the front baffle. With over 120 cm to the side walls on either side.

If your concern is about the rear ports and wall proximity, here's a quote from the HiFi World review... "The design is slightly over-damped for use close to a rear wall, output rolling down slightly below 200Hz. This ameliorates room-boom, by the use of strong acoustic damping, imposed by two rear ports that add to give a large throat area. Our impedance curve identifies port frequency as 38Hz..."

Needless to say - 38Hz is pretty low and since that's around the speakers -3dB limit I've always assumed there wouldn't be much energy coming out of the ports anyway. How close do you propose to place them to your rear wall?

I'd say as long as you have plenty of clear space at the sides you ought to be OK, but all rooms have their issues and modes? I would personally prefer to keep them at least 30 cm or more away at a minimum? I have heard them become quite boomy placed in corners, so that should be avoided at all costs.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    galone_es and AC1 like this.
  22. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

35 cm from the wall in a approx 45 m2 room and it works very well.

Toneh likes this.
  23. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Interestingly, I just spoke to a guy who modded the Denton 85ths and got the same results.
    I'll post component pics and details if anyone's interested.

24. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Why? If were are all talking about the same speaker, what difference does it make? Your Lintons are not deeper than mine. ;-)

25. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I'm very interested. I have the Denton 85. It's a very bright speaker and I did everything so they would have less treble, less upper frequencies, less clarity on top. Anyone who says they are veiled or muffled is, and excuse my French, is completely out of his mind. The Denton 85 is the most revealing speaker I have ever owned. The solution that eventually tamed their brightness somewhat is to simply bi-wire or to bi-amp them (it took me months to find that out). Peter Comeau at facebook told me the Denton (and Linton) doesn't need any tweaking or mods and advised me to listen with grilles but that goes without saying.

Navarone likes this.