Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Also it will burn a hole right through your cornea... like looking directly into the sun! Jokes... just like Rick, mine are more or less pointed directly at me. I'm tough... I can take it.
    Either that or I should've listened to older friends who cautioned me to wear earplugs in nightclubs when I was DJ'ing. Aaahh... me and my misspent youth... and why I'm a house/techno/electronica lifer ;)

Rick58 and DancingSea like this.
  2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Got my adapters yesterday so installed the SR Foundation speaker cables (white), today my Herbie’s dots came. Can’t say the dots made a huge difference but now I know I’m at a stopping point, at least for this week!

Traveling next week so will try to get some good hours in over the weekend. Been playing them several hours a day at least, even when I’m not upstairs. Maybe 50 hours on them?

For a few hours it seemed the bass was a bit recessed but last night that “feeling” receded. Maybe part of the breakin process …?

I certainly don’t regret getting them, far from it! They’re at the end of about $12k worth of gear, not embarrassed in the least.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Glmoneydawg, Nielsoe, AC1 and 3 others like this.
  3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Huh, you have two small monitor speaker sets, the Lintons will be a different animal. I’ve found them highly satisfying. They even sound bigger than my MA Silver 8s (but I will need to switch back sometime to compare). I think they’re as resolving and detailed and even as good at imaging. They have a bigger more lifelike sense of scale that I never really understood before.

PS: I bet your LM amp will drive them nicely within power limitations of course. I’m guessing that’s what’s in the loft tho. What will be driving them initially? Just curious.

Glmoneydawg and mreeter like this.
  4. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Consider me interested/subscribed for your findings John.
    DeVore's 0/96 has been a permanent fixture in my fantasy league of big ass speakers for ages now :winkgrin:

@AC1 @DancingSea & @Rick58 I finally got the driver surround screw checking FOMO... every... single... one... of the midrange driver crews in both cabinets were loose. Woofers were surprisingly good. I'm glad I did too... the sound has really tightened up.
    Drum roll please... the Dad Joke award goes to...

5. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

I have reached out to Wharefdale USA (MoFi) for clarification about the loose screws. Are we supposed to include screw tightening in our maintenance routine? Decidedly low rent. I’m concerned about over tightening and stripping the screw. Granted, I’ve never inspected the screws on any speaker I’ve owned - never thought to - perhaps this is normal? I hope not!

AC1 and Toneh like this.
  6. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I'm not particularly excited about it either.

Thought the same - on all counts.

7. DancingSea

Checked the screws, and 6 days later they remain tight.

Have submitted an Indeed application, and thanks to my obvious mechanical acumen, expect to be working on the line at the Wharfedale factory in Ji’an, China by the end of next week :)

Rick58 likes this.
  8. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Or cleaner electric power after 20:00 o' clock? :eek:

alanb and Rick58 like this.
  9. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I would call 50 hours the first base of Linton break in. They are starting to show their true nature, but the real fun starts after about 200 hours or more. Judging from your photo you seem to be using an awful lot of toe in. How large is your room?

Rick58 and John Landreth like this.
  10. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I like your setup. The toe-in you have works equally well in my experience with the Lintons as well as the Denton's.

Rick58 likes this.
  11. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Haven't watch it yet ... But Linton, Mission 770, Passif 50, Elysian ... they are all present!

DancingSea likes this.
  12. John Landreth

John Landreth Well-Known Member

Lintons arrived ! R+L speakers are opposite of what the label inside the cartons suggested but an easy swap once i removed the grills to tighten the woofer and midrange screws a bit. As expected they sound much bigger and more impactful than my Denton 80's but I'm expecting a long break-in period
    My back isn't happy though!

Nielsoe, Toneh, ChrisR2060 and 5 others like this.
  13. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Welcome to the Linton Family, John!

14. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Thanks, looking forward to it.

Room has 8’ ceiling, flat. 18’ front to back, speakers currently 52” from back wall to front of cabinet. I sit about 6’ from the rear wall. The space is a little over 18’ wide to a short wall by the stairwell. About 24’ total width. The wall is higher than the speakers tho so it’s basically 18’ square. I think the 63Hz mode is from that. I have large notch in sub EQ altho main rolloff filter is at 50Hz. I have corner bass traps with membrane to enhance low bass absorption. Plus other large bass trap behind TV and absorber/scatter panels as seen.

I just like the direct sound, have done it this way for … 30 years at least. Always come back to it when trying otherwise.

There’s an alcove seen behind and to the left of the left speaker, my office area. The system is set up asymmetrically … RH speaker is about 3’ from side wall? Haven’t measured.

I’ve measured using SpeakerMeter and ClapIR apps, FR and RT60 are pretty darn good (at the app resolution anyway). I don’t wanna know hi res …! Could use REW but no. Ignorance is bliss … :laugh:

PS: I know, set it up 90 degrees to what I have, symmetrically, yada yada yada. No, I like it the way it is. I get great imaging, depth, space, etc. and no pulling to the sides. Yeah, maybe if I did that it’d sound different or better. But I like it the way it is. There’s a large cat tree for diffusion too … my sub is centered on RH wall as suggested by REW Room Simulator.

Maybe some day I’ll hang something on the ceiling but … I like the sound as it is now. :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Glmoneydawg, Nielsoe and DancingSea like this.
  15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I’m afraid of overtightening/stripping … so gentle smallish Philips head screwdriver for me. Also afraid of slipping and poking a hole in a driver. Proceed with caution … :)

Toneh and DancingSea like this.
  16. John Landreth

John Landreth Well-Known Member

Just tighten them in small steps and in a sequence snugging the screws opposite one-another like when mounting a wheel on a car. It wouldn't surprise me if they left them a bit loose on purpose to avoid them stripping during shipping from rough handling by UPS and Fed-Ex
    I'm probably wrong about that though

Rick58, Nielsoe and DancingSea like this.
  17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Every room does it's thing. Just today I moved my Lintons further out from the back wall (from 35 cm to a little more than 50 cm) and this actually resulted in a less defined bass performance on the brink of being wolly actually. It wasn't what I expected to hear, but it only goes to show.

Toneh and Rick58 like this.
  18. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I was going to give my small stand mounted (Triangle Titus) speakers to my daughter, but I think I’m going to give her my MA Silver 8 speakers. They sound closer to the Lintons than the tube driven Tituses, so thinking I’ll clear them out of the way.

Then I can experiment more with Linton placement as you say, without the Silver 8s being behind them. The Tituses can be moved well out of the way to the sides and beside/behind the Lintons. Then, when I want the tube driven mini monitor nearfield experience, I can move them into position, which is well in front of the Lintons.

Nielsoe, DancingSea and Toneh like this.
  19. DancingSea

I like those guys. They seem to always be having a good time. Though because they are dealers of all those speakers, their “review” is more of an “every child gets a trophy” approach. They pick one positive attribute from each speaker and give each a trophy. And then declare the most expensive one (the 770) is the best. The actual review industry is sufficiently compromised on its own, these guys take that and add salesmanship to the equation!

It would be great to have an actual comparison between all of those speakers. This is more of a friendly informercial. I’ve found the Audio Excellence YouTube channel to have the most honest dealer approach. If they don’t like something, or don’t like certain things about something, they are free with their opinions.

AC1 and Rick58 like this.
  20. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Agreed! A year ago, they 'compared' the Lintons to the KLH Model Five. The conclusion was that the Lintons win when it comes to bass, which became obvious to them when they were watching movies. The boss guy even wanted the Lintons for his home theater. In this new video they 'claim' the Model Fives have deeper bass than the Lintons (of which the latter goes all the way down to 30 Hz flat). :confused:

Have you listened to the sound clips at the end of the video? First you hear the Passif 50, which sounded full bodied, then you hear the Lintons ... and suddenly the Lintons sound like a small transistor radio. In the comments I asked if there was something wrong with their Lintons because "Where is the bass?!" Their reply was: "The Lintons didn't win in the bass category." :laugh:

Of course, we have to take these guys with tons of salt, but I do wish their shop was in my town because no one in Belgium (or Europe, I bet) has got them all. Well, that's not true, they didn't have the Elipson XLS 15.

We could see the Elysian competing in the thumbnail but I guess they sold them before they started shooting?

The Linton is their bestseller and I believe them when they say it's because of the price/quality ratio.

DancingSea and Rick58 like this.
  21. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

How will a Rega Elex R go running these speakers?

22. egar

egar Well-Known Member

I don't think it'll have any problems running the speakers as it's a very powerful amplifier. What I'd be more concerned about is how it sounds. I demoed the speakers in-store with its bigger friend Rega Elicit and the sound was very bright and revealing towards lower quality recordings like MC5, Venom and early AC/DC.

We changed to a Naim amp and the recordings sounded much nicer although it was clear that they weren't of the greatest quality. But that's not something any amplifier ever will fix (and shouldn't).

So I'd recommend you to try to demo or make sure you have a good return policy from the dealer you "buy & try" from.

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  23. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

The recordings or the Lintons? Or both? What was it that gave it away?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  24. egar

egar Well-Known Member

Let's see if I can explain. The sound was almost only with treble, and the bass was basically gone. The higher mids were very bright and forward.

With the Naim the recordings still sounded weaker but not at all with that treble focused sound.

25. egar

egar Well-Known Member

I meant that the recordings was weaker. Meaning that I think that it's the amp that has a different "soundstyle" and the Lintons reproduce that as it should.

Toneh, AC1 and Nielsoe like this.