Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. celester340

celester340 Forum Resident

That's helom for the very helpful write-up. I'm going to give the super tweeter option a serious thought.

Ok so maybe for now I'll hold on to the DAC idea. Everyone says a system is not complete without a dac, so I thought, hmm, let me also jump on the wagon and get a DAC!

I love the speaker's. And the wife is very happy for once lol. I'll just keep listening and listening until the open up and sound a lil more dynamic once the cones loosen up a wee bit.

Would u also suggest any other brands of super tweeters? Available in the US or Canada? Canada would be better cause my sis is flying down from there and can hand carry them. Else I have to ship them from the US to Canada to her. Cheer's!

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

I've been looking into super tweeters for my system and haven't come across any affordable options that will better integrate with mid-efficiency speakers like mine or your Lintons. All the other options I've considered have too high of a minimum sensitivity.

I've decided to try the Aperions but not before I experiment with some new room treatments.

Good idea to let those Lintons finish breaking in before you make any further changes.

3. celester340

Is it very difficult to integrate supertweeters with our speakers? Won’t it sound really off and grungy if not integrated properly? Btw what speakers do u have @Helom

Also any slightly more better ST available say for about 500 usd?

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

There are multiple Fostex bullet super tweeters starting at about $250 each. Problem is the have a high sensitivity and require an additional attenuation circuit. Whether they're better than Aperion's ribbons I can't say.

I have many speakers. At the moment I have Stirling Broadcast SB-88s in my main system. Their big brothers, the LS3/6s, have super tweeters and they make a considerable difference.

You have a very smooth amp so I doubt you'll have issues with "grungy" sound from ribbon tweeters. The Aperions are quite versatile by allowing many crossover points and attenuation settings. Plus they offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, though not sure how that'd work with an overseas transaction.

celester340 likes this.
  5. ratskrad

ratskrad Forum Resident

My Lintons arrived today. Got them unboxed and hooked up to my Cronus Magnum III and they are now playing music. I went with the Walnut because they were in stock and it was going to be another month for the Red Mahogany, in a previous life I was a woodworker/cabinet maker and Walnut was always one of my favorite woods to work with. Fit, finish and appearance are flawless. They do sound really nice and me thinks it's going to be a whole lot of fun listening to all of my music once again.

Jcashfan, ispace, 33na3rd and 9 others like this.
  6. celester340

Hello guys! Wishing you all a pleasant day!

Does anyone use the herbies decoupling gliders for their stands? Since my stands didn’t come with the feet I was thinking of getting the herbies from the US. Any user experience folks?

@ratskrad how are the lintons sounding? Have u got a good break in time?

7. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Update?

8. celester340

Well I’m going to update my listening experience! I’ve kept the speakers facing straight, without any toe in. They sound their best like this. One of my favourite CDs of Carly Simon just sounds wonderful! However some Spotify and tidal tracks of low quality sound terrible. I’m coming to believe that if u feed in a good source the speakers are decently good. Also awaiting my spike feet. Currently the stands are on a marble flooring.

My hunt for a DAC has begun. Some options now are the MHDT pagoda, border patrol SE. Anything else u guys can suggest for redbook cd’s? I would prefer a NOS r2r DAC.

Fruff76 likes this.
  9. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

All I can say is that the Border Patrol SE put Redbook CD reproduction on a par with my vinyl rig, and I now purchase many more CDs than I used to. Love it.

Celester340, thanks for the update on the Lintons. How do you find the upper frequencies with very well recorded material?

jusbe, Art K and celester340 like this.
  10. celester340

Oh great at someone here uses a border patrol! Thanks for that!

Well, like I said before I’m no audiophile and my living room where my setup is, is well, a living room. It’s got terrible acoustics. But, on good recordings the sound is nice and balanced. No fatigue at all. I listen sometimes to music for about 3-4 hours. The highs are always smooth, sometimes a lil too smooth, but never ear piercing. I guess it’s the nature of the soft dome tweeter that produces this type of highs maybe?

11. celester340

Well I managed to get the spike feet for stands. My dealer was kind enough to send them to me.

Next up. MHDT dac from linear tube audio. Delivery next month! Chose this over the border patrol after some research and reading up and professional advice.

Beginning to like the wharfedale more and more as days pass. I’ve decided to now only listen to good quality music. A bad source is really a mood killer. My recent favourite artist. Dan Seals. Just wow!

ispace and timind like this.
  12. Nicole Ellis

Nicole Ellis Well-Known Member

I currently have the Denton 80th anniversary model paired with a Rega Brio R, and I'm thinking I may upgrade to these Lintons. I'm wondering what kinds of amplification people are using for these? It seems like these are easier to drive than the 80th anniversary model, correct? It looks like plenty of people are driving them with lower power tube amplifiers, do you find this to be plenty? Does more power open them up/increase sound quality more? Thanks!

13. celester340

I think the lintons have a high sensitivity. Should be pretty easy to run I guess. I’m having a Luxman 505uxii.

14. ratskrad

ratskrad Forum Resident

I am driving my Lintons with a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III. Both are "Broken in" or at least the hours I have on the speakers and amp are over 100 hours now. I am really liking how they sound and play music.

celester340 and 33na3rd like this.
  15. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

If you have the denton 80th and you think about the Linton, go for it. You'll get more of what the dentons are with much better imaging and bigger soundstage. I have the marantz pm8400 and i do not think this is the best match. Reviewer Steve Guttenberg hinted that the schiit ragnarok would be a great match. If i could upgrade my integrated, that's what i would get. I think also they would particularly respond well to big current.

16. Nicole Ellis

Thanks for this- I do really like my Denton's, the comments about the treble catch my attention a little. I haven't had complaints about my Denton's, but some of the comments I'm reading almost make it sound like the Lintons don't have the same finesse as the Denton's. I really like the smooth laid back sound wharfedale tends to have. My brother has the LS50s and pairs them with a Rega Elicit and the Rega DAC. While the soundstage is impressive and the speakers very transparent, I find it to be a little too much for me... I find it fatiguing/distracting from the music (I find myself focusing instead on the recording quality and engineering and unable to just relax and listen to the song. So, in short, I don't mind a relaxed presentation, if they're a big brother to the Denton's with slightly better extension/detail/soundstage etc. I'd be happy.

Shiver and Robert C like this.
  17. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

To my ears, au contraire: the Lintons are much more refined than the Dentons - it is a step up in every way: imaging abilities, soundstage size, bass depth and definition, a smooth tweeter very well integrated.... honestly, the only reason why I am not selling my Dentons is attachment. I no longer have a use for them.

bhazen and Nicole Ellis like this.
  18. Nicole Ellis

Perfect! I'll plan to move this direction after I save up a tad :) thanks!

19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

nordost purple flare

20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

What is the height of the stands?

21. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Off the Music Direct site:

Height: 437mm 17.2”
    Width: 300mm 11.81”
    Depth: 330mm 12.99”

Robert C likes this.
  22. celester340

Hey guys. Happy day to everyone here. Wanted to just know what kind of distances you keep between the speakers and from the rear wall? Maybe I’ll make a few adjustments over the weekend. Cheers to one and all!

23. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

ispace, Slimwhit33, bhazen and 4 others like this.
  24. celester340

Wow that’s like 3 to 4 feet from the rear wall. I don’t think I have that kind of space at home unfortunately.

ispace and Slimwhit33 like this.
  25. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident