What about bid retractions... I feel so stupid. Help!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MikeT, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

I am a very honest person, yet sometimes I do stupid things!! :eek:

Anyway, I saw a MFSL CD I wanted on half.com for a very good price and e-mailed the seller about it. Then I saw the same on ebay. I placed a minimum bid on ebay since my watch area was filled and I wanted to be able to track the item.

Well I get a response from the seller on half.com and find out that the disc is actually sealed!!!!! And it is a great price - even though he listed it under "like new" and never really said it was sealed, etc. His was also the lowest price for this disc out of about 6 listings.

Well I jumped on the half.com item, which will cost me less than the ebay used item (which has a few light marks on the disc) with shipping.

I don't want to be dishonest, but I don't want to be the winning bidder on the ebay item (as I really don't want two of these discs) - and it is a MFSL disc that doesn't generally go for a high price.

Has anyone ever retracted a bid under circustances like these, or should I just wait it out, hope someone outbids me. If no one outbids me I guess I have to go through with the transaction to prevent negative feedback.

What would you guys do. Retract bid, or bite the bullet and possibly risk having to get two of the item in question (even though it isn't the most collectible of MFSL discs)?

:help: :help: :help:

Thanks,

Mike

2. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I would not retract my bid and hope I get outbid. Worst case scenario, you win at the bare minimum, and then you can probably resell and get your money back. When your feedback is low at the beginning of a new account, you can't do anything to risk negative feedback because it'll really hurt.

3. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Why don't you post the link. Maybe someone here will be interested and outbid you. I agree with Dave, I wouldn't retract the bid under those circumstances.

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

I too wouldn't retract my bid in this circumstance.

However! I would email the seller and explain the situation, and see if he'd cancel the bid for me. If not, no big deal, get the disc sell it back on ebay. Or maybe do a trade with someone here. :)

By the way, this is the perfect use of a service like powersnipe.com: I "bid" on things all the time via powersnipe, only to cancel it later if I find the item sooner, or win an earlier auction of the same item.

5. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

IMO it depends on the timing of the auction.
    If it is at the beginning of the cycle then I see no reason not to retract a bid. Like less than 28% of the auction time has passed. day 2 of 7 = ok. day 6 of 7 not very fair to the seller.
    Another idea is if you bid $15 and the high bid is $7 then you could always retract your $15 bid and rebid at $7 to enable someone to outbid you easier.
    99.7 positive and a power seller effective today :)
    or post the link and possibly watch your high bid go away ...

6. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

I would suggest posting a link to the item and see if anyone's interested in it. Someone here has be interested in it.

7. MikeT

Well as luck would have it, someone actually outbid me (about 1/2 hour after posting this thread). So I am out of "trouble" so to speak.

I really didn't want to retract my bid, and probably wouldn't have done so anyway. I was asking to see what other's might have done or would have done.

Thanks for the responses. If you still want me to link to the auction let me know and I will post it, since there is still 1 day 12 hours to go.

Thanks.

Mike

8. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

What's the title or is that rude to ask?

9. MikeT

No, I don't mind telling. I just didn't want to bring attention to the auction if I were actually going to retract my bid and it happen to be a forum member that was listing it.

It was for the MFSL version of "Showdown!" by Albert Collins, Johnny Copeland and Robert Cray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.