What album did you play once and never listen to again?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dylancat, Jan 13, 2022.

1. After reading all the posts in this thread it is clear to me that many of these posters have terrible taste in music and poor spending habits. :D

I kid -you guys are all right.

carlwm likes this.
  2. Huxley

Huxley Forum Resident

I am in the minority - I love Apple Jam and listen to it more than the rest of ATMP...

Pretorius likes this.
  3. Andre the giant

Andre the giant Well-Known Member

That is one depressing cd.
    Dream Theater- The Astonishing
    Ozzy Osbourne- Ordinary Man

4. George the Cat

George the Cat Forum Resident

I’ve actually got several LP’s I’ve never listened to all the way through.

5. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Wow! My hat's off to you sir :tiphat:

Huxley likes this.
  6. William Gladstone

William Gladstone I was a teenage daydreamer.

Weezer - Pinkerton...came out on my 23rd birthday, a friend played it once, and that was enough for me. No regrets. :)

I do, however, love the "blue" album.

7. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Whichever Rush album followed Power Windows. I believe it had a red cover. "Roll the Bones" might be the title.

Recordfan likes this.
  8. Huxley

Huxley Forum Resident

Anything by Queen, and I've tried and tried and tried. Just. Don't. Get. It. Hate the revisionist lore around them now, too. I was alive in the 70's and 80's and they simply were not that big, at least not in Western Canada. To go by current "history", they're bigger, more talented, more innovative, more influential, and more important to rock than the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, etc. That's not to say that I don't recognize their talent, but please...

To be completely transparent, though, if I never hear Bohemian Rhapsody again it will be too soon, so my opinion is probably suspect! And for the record, I love LOVE "Forever Changes" and the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds"...

9. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Neil Young's Barn. yikes. [​IMG]

Mr-Beagle and Mylene like this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

One of his best albums for decades, I reckon.

MichaelH, stef1205 and Recordfan like this.
  11. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Thurston Moore. Apparently from Sonic Youth.

12. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

I have so many comps of 60s psych and garage music that I've barely listened to. It's not like I don't like the music either, just kinda music overload.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  13. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

Literally too many to list. I discovered a number of years ago that record/CD shopping (in a number of cases) was actually more fun than the actual listening part.

That is one of the reasons I love Spotify so much. I read something, it piques my interest, I want to hear it, I got to Spotify, I think, nah, not that good. Move on. Twenty years ago, I read something, piques my interest, I drive 20 miles to my favourite record store, potter around for a couple of hours, find the record or CD, buy it, play it when I get home, think, nah, not that good, put on the shelf and move on.

SeeDubs, dunkoid and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  14. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Definitely IN THE HOT SEAT !!!

Rufus rag likes this.
  15. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

It's a three way tie.

Rashied Ali & Frank Lowe - Duo Exchange and Frank Wright's One For John spring swiftly to mind. There was also an Andrew Cyrille / Milford Graves drum "battle" record that I forget the name of that absolutely did my head in.

I can remember going to Honest Johns in search of a crash course on the fringes of Free Jazz having already got firmly onside with Ornette, Sun Ra, Liberation Music Orchestra, Keith Jarrett's American quartet Don Cherry, late period Trane and Albert Ayler (none of whom were really Free improvisers in the strictest sense of the word) and may even have bought them all the same day. Certainly taught me where my boundaries were drawn when it came to tenor players!

This was in a period when Radio Invicta on the one hand and Val Wilmer & Collusion magazine on the other were the biggest influences on my purchases. Much as I still enjoy listening to (and playing) improvised music it's the Invicta stuff that has given me the most joy the last 40 years or so.

I should give them another try for old time's sake.

16. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Just to name one, Boston Corporate America. Didn't even make it through side one. There are many more.

Rufus rag likes this.
  17. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

The Who By Numbers, I found it kind of tired sounding, a perfect example of "shadow of their former self".

Jonny W likes this.
  18. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

lolwut

Terrapin Station and Uncle Miles like this.
  19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

It'd have to be something borrowed... if I have bought something I give it more than one chance, but there are many obscure albums that I picked up, usually in a cheap bin, that have never clicked with me, some I have since given away or otherwise disposed of. It's finding that unexpected treasure of an album that makes you go there, and some clunker to me might be another person's sweet groove spot. :cool:

I did borrowed a few of Van Morrison's early '70s albums from the library and they were a played through once seemed enough, but I might try any of them again if I had the chance. Others rave about that sequence of albums.

carlwm likes this.
  20. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I subscribe to the Dave's Picks Grateful Dead concert series, where they ship you 4 randomly-selected remastered concerts per year. And maybe 40% of those or thereabouts I've listened to once and then dropped into the Trade-To-Record-Store-For-Used-Credit pile

beccabear67 likes this.
  21. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel - Scratch My Back

MichaelH likes this.
  22. Paul Simon - The Rhythm Of The Saints

23. Northernlight

Northernlight Forum Resident

Invisible Touch by Genesis. I had to check the record again to make sure it wasn't some Kajagoogoo record I'd bought by mistake. That was the end of the road for Genesis and me. Bloody awful record.

24. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I literally fell asleep listening to the Travis follow up to The Man Who and have never heard it again. Was excited for it, got the CD, took it home and sat on the bed as I listened and fell asleep about six songs in.

25. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

Jawbreaker- Dear You
    Got it the day it came out. Was horribly disappointed in the polished production, smooth vocals and obvious crossover attempt. Most fans disliked it at the time and it killed the band. People came around years after it was OOP and changed their opinions after Napster spread the tunes out randomly instead of grouped with albums. I tried it again after the Jawbreaker documentary and I still hate it.