What Album Was Radiohead ‘s High Water Mark?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

I know that Radiohead has had a successful career with many great albums. Which one do you figure is their pinnacle.

905 likes this.
  2. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

lots of great albums. In Rainbows is my current fav.

3. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

Hail to the Thief is my favourite, showing much artistic bravery in persuing their own road.

Leigh, George P, kannibal and 3 others like this.
  4. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Kid A.

A daring, emotional and immense masterpiece. But this is a band who have a career like a mountain range. Peak after peak. The valleys are simply the periods between records.

5. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i think creep is a great single, and ok computer a great lp. if not mixed a bit "strangely".

i never went "deep" on them lp wise.

6. Kid A by a country mile.

7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Voted Kid A but OK Computer is right there with it. I think all of the albums have something to offer but they vary widely in style (think Bowie.)

JL6161, npc210, vinyl diehard and 5 others like this.
  8. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

In Rainbows was the logical culmination of their musical journey up to that point.
    rather selfishly, i wanted them to stay right there but the band has chosen wisely to keep moving and...more power to them :righton:

GoodKitty, BGLeduc, No Bull and 2 others like this.
  9. timind

timind phorum rezident

I went with Kid A, but have been listening to Moon Shaped Pool a bit lately.

10. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Amnesiac. Took the cue from their previous high water mark Kid A and got just a little bit creepier and weirder.

11. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

The Bends is my favorite, but OK Computer is probably their artistic best.

Hammerpeg, robargebl, No Bull and 5 others like this.
  12. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

OK Computer, followed by A Moon Shaped Pool. (Seriously, no votes for the latter?) I love Kid A but find I have to be in the right mood for it, which by default knocks it down a notch or two.

13. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Lots of great albums and they all grow on you but Kid A seems to be the highwater mark. It is so adventurous and it flows so well.

DJ LX likes this.
  14. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

difficult to pick one.it seems as if their career has had three maybe four phases already
    1.the first two
    2.ok computer-so great a phase of it's own.
    3.kid A through Hail
    4.the last 3 records.
    hard to pick one.

gregorya likes this.
  15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Kid A was my gateway album so a sentimental favorite, however as others said, there are many high points to date. I am optimistic that they have yet to hit a plateau.

They also have a rich B-side/EP catalogue.

Pop_Zeus and lightbulb like this.
  16. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's not the 1st album. It's not horrible, it has Creep, but I would have a hard time saying it's a good album. The rest of the albums are excellent. People say Rubber Soul or Revolver is The Beatles' best album. Maybe one of them are the best. But, Abbey Road is no lesser of an album in my opinion. I won't state which is the best Radiohead album.. But OK Computer is their Sgt Pepper's. Maybe not their best record, but it is renown as a special recording apart from the others.

17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

OK Computer by a wide margin.

All albums preceding it have various good/great songs, to show the Promise Of A Great Band.

All albums subsequent to it have good/great songs, to convey the feeling that they’re almost hitting that high level again, but just not quite.

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Ok Computer

But my fav is In Rainbows.

BGLeduc, No Bull, Frank Field and 4 others like this.
  19. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

OK Computer with Kid A a close second. The Bends is my favorite.

Hammerpeg, Pop_Zeus and lightbulb like this.
  20. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Kid A for me. I actually like '00s Radiohead more than '90s Radiohead.

No Bull and Exit Flagger like this.
  21. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There is something about all their previous albums I would want to change (either drop a song, or substitute one for a B-side that I like better) but as far as songwriting, arrangement choices, and track sequencing, A Moon Shaped Pool is perfect... possibly a bit too compressed in mixing/mastering, but so is everything of theirs since Pablo Honey! On vinyl AMSP sounds great and it's a straight-through listen, no skip-aheads

22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The Bends is 2nd and In Rainbows is 3rd(although A moon Shaped Pool might catch it eventually with time). Seeing their Tour last Summer got me to finally buy the In Rainbows Deluxe Set. Maybe taking the Best 4-6 Songs from Kid A & Amnesiac and combining them into 1 Album would also make at least tied to 3rd for me.

However, I am biased as my #1 All Time Favorite Album(by Any Music Artist) is:

[​IMG]

pinkrudy, willy, Pop_Zeus and 3 others like this.
  23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The Bends

Goggen, 905 and davers like this.
  24. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

The Bends is my favorite. It defined their sound as something all its own...not to mention the great tunes.

905 and davers like this.
  25. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Good to see Pablo Honey received 3 votes (so far). Never understood the bad rep for this album. Yes, the sound is very different from later Radiohead work, but taken on its own merits, as an early '90s alt.rock album, it's not bad at all. And from what I recall is that upon release it also received relatively positive reviews.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.