What Album Was Radiohead ‘s High Water Mark?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

Only my vote so far for HttT. I am surprised!

dewiecox likes this.
  2. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

More votes for Pablo Honey is even more surprising

jalexander and dewiecox like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

For me The Bends and OK Computer are their best albums.
    In all honesty I still need to go through their later stuff. When the box set came out, I got it. I listened to Kid A (twice - because I couldn't believe how poor I thought it was) and found it to be terribly dull, which was disappointing after all the hype of best album of all time that I kept hearing. It isn't even top 200 for me, and the two albums I mentioned prior have it beaten by a long way. I did listen to another album (off the top of my head I can't remember which) and that was considerably better than Kid A.
    At some point I will give these albums a better listen, but for now, those two album would be my favourite albums by the band

pinkrudy and Pop_Zeus like this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

The star ratings at allmusic.com

Umbari, Pop_Zeus and Luisboa like this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I guess people like "cringe"

6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Ok Computer

Wonderful in so many levels

In an era where everyone and their uncle were using pro tools and recording albums with the intention of "big hits" and loads of filler, Radiohead gave us an ALBUM again. Conceived as a musical whole entity for listening from start to finish. And the songs were just great.

And it was an analog recording! so rare at the time

Without a doubt, one of the greatest albums of all time, and Radiohead's finest, IMHO.

[​IMG]

SoundDoctor and Pop_Zeus like this.
  7. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I was pretty ambivalent about Radiohead in the 90s.

Then Kid A blew my mind. Amazing album.

I have loved everything since - even their much maligned "pastoral" album TKOL.

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The difficulty with this poll is that “peak” kind of implies a logical rise and fall, like the performance of an athlete. The problem is that music works differently. The Bends, OK Computer, Amnesiac, Kid A and In Rainbows are all albums that are ranked among the 500 best of all time by Rolling Stone, and A Moon Shaped Pool was also very highly regarded, but released too recently to be ranked. One could probably make a convincing argument for any of them as the band’s “best”.

An astonishing track record.

9. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

::.. I Agree...despite OK Computer being held as their masterpiece, 'Kid A' was set as the blueprint for the next Radiohead albums for years to come...none of these: Amnesiac, In Rainbows, Hail To The Thief, King Of Limbs, Moon Shaped Pool have something related to 'Ok Computer' but the musicians...by now, almost 30 years after their fist recordings, Pablo Honey, OK Computer and The Bends, look like stand-alone efforts from 3 different bands IMO

10. Very true but more importantly it was Kid A which has had the greatest impact and influence on contemporary music. Other artists haven't borrowed anywhere near as much from OK Computer.

aravel likes this.
  11. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

For all their greatness I don’t think they’ve been all that influential.

12. buxetehude

buxetehude Forum Resident

In Rainbows. Reckoner is miraculous.

aravel likes this.
  13. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

To me it has to be OK Computer. That album is in my top 5 all-time records. I think The Bends was great, but OK Computer is what pushes Radiohead into epic territory for me. I admit I haven't listened to the records they made after In Rainbows (just got distracted with other things in my life), but you all have convinced me to check them out.

Somewhat relatedly, does anyone know if they'll tour this year? I saw them do a festival set back in 2010, but would love to see a proper Radiohead concert.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  14. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

As much as I love The Bends, its can be only OK Computer I reckon, such a massive shift in tone and vision.

I like Kid A but I can't hear what everyone calls "a masterpiece"

Lowest point was Hail to the Thief, they sounded bored and un-interested, even Yorke starting dismissing his own work as throwaway. Thankfully they picked themselves up sharpish afterwards.

Pop_Zeus and mercuryvenus like this.
  15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The drumming on that track, with the shimmering ride cymbal, is an audiophile experience in itself.

buxetehude likes this.
  16. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Actually, I think 'How To Disappear Completely' would have fit perfectly on 'OKC'. Also, '2+2=5' was more like their '90s Guitar Driven Rock. If you take away 'Arpeggi/Weird Fishes' and 'Bodysnatchers', then 'In Rainbows' sounds more Pre-'Kid A' then anything off their prior 3 Albums to me. 'True Love Waits' was actually first developed around the time of 'OKC', so it took 2 decades to finally get a proper Studio Release. I do appreciate how the rest of 'A Moon Shaped Pool' was a new Direction from everything since 'Kid A'. I hope they keep moving in New Directions for future Albums(how about Radiohead's version of a FUNK Album?

I think 'OK Computer' was so brilliant that the Band felt trapped in a corner and knew it got not be topped, so they just ditched the Guitars mostly, and went in a completely different direction(with the exception of 'How to Disappear Completely'), but this is just my take on why we never got 'OK Computer'-Part 2. Some of it worked like 'The National Anthem' and 'Idioteque', but I have given up on the first 2 Songs on 'Kid A', as they are just not for me, but YMMV. After hearing the B-Sides of Electronic Blips & Beeps from 'Hail to the Thief', I was about to quit following the band, but they quickly won me back with 'In Rainbows'. Almost lost me again with awful Songs, 'In Bloom', 'Feral' and 'Morning Mr Magpie' from 'the King of Limbs' and mostly mediocre rest of that Album outside of the Great Song, 'Separator'. However, A Moon Shaped Pool won me back again.

aravel and Pop_Zeus like this.
  17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Radiohead just did a Tour in the US last year, that still focused on 'A Moon Shaped Pool' along with several Songs from 'OKC' and 'In Rainbows' and a few Songs from their other Albums(even one Song from 'The Bends' and for the Tour Stop I saw, it was the Title Track they played as one of the Encore Songs).

So doubt they would be touring(at least in the US) this year. Hopefully, they are working on a New Album this year.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  18. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

High water mark? A Moon Shaped POOL. Get it? High water? Pool? Heeheehee...

soundQman, SoundDoctor and Pop_Zeus like this.
  19. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Kid A

From the perspective of, can they still make music? Yes, sure. Will they ever break more ground? You wish.

SteveM likes this.
  20. Kid A helped to change 21st music in general and forever changed Radiohead. After that album there was no turning back. It's a watershed moment in their career.

21. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

OK Computer (which I voted for) and Kid A. Both vastly different, both A+ albums. Love The Bends and In Rainbows too, the former is when they really arrived and found their own voice, the latter may be their most instantly likeable and accessible album. Their last album was excellent too. Amnesiac is a bit of a “more of the same but not as good” sequel to Kid A but still fine. HTTT is really good too, kind of a middle ground between guitar rock and their more electronic sound, and their only album that suffers from CD-era over-length. Even their weakest albums (PH and KOL) are far from bad. The best band of the past 25 years, IMO.

gregorya likes this.
  22. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

OK Computer. I absorbed that album so completely back in the day it was in my damn veins.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  23. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

Used to get stoned to ok computer. It was a part of me. when kid A came out i went through a big life change and gave up drugs. Maybe thats why kidA is meh to me?

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  24. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Can you add a choice of "I don't know" to your poll?

25. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I voted for A Moon Shaped Pool, but anything from OKC to AMSP could have received my vote. I kind of like them all equally. Also want to especially single out King Of Limbs since this one seems to sometimes get short shrift.

buxetehude and SoundDoctor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.