What albums do you skip in your collection of albums from artists you really like?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wild Horse, Aug 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

have heard everything post-Wildflowers, nothing there for me.

2. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

Lumpy Gravy- Frank Zappa

It disrupts an otherwise fantastic string of albums (imo) but maybe I’ll come around eventually.

3. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I own nearly every note King Crimson recorded since Bruford joined the band in 72. The arty farty stuff prior to that, Court, Poseidon, Islands, Lizards, I find lightweight and unconvincing.

veloso2 and KngCrmsn22 like this.
  4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Doors after the third album although I like Riders On The Storm

Radiohead - King Of Limbs

Beatles - Beatles For Sale

Dylan - anything after Blonde on Blonde

The Who - anything after Quadrophenia

Kinks - Anything after Lola

The Clash - Cut The Crap

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Join Hands

5. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

6. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I have to say that I've heard Do It Again and Reelin' In The years too much and try and avoid them but the rest of the album is excellent - Midnite Cruiser, Dirty Work, Brooklyn, Kings - all great songs.

Give it a go and let us know whether you've changed your mind.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  7. mrz80

mrz80 This page intentionally left blank

I always thought U2 peaked at War and Unforgettable Fire, both of which improved upon all subsequent works :D

8. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I don’t skip any. I listen again with hope that I’ll find something new to appreciate that I didn’t notice before. Most of the time it works.

Totti is god and NMB like this.
  9. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Any R.E.M. album after New Adventures in Hi-Fi doesn't really interest me.

10. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Nothing lightweight about many of the compositions on those albums. Just a different approach to music making.

11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I"ve been on a listening project for the past few months. Due to an OS change and a change to a new external drive to hold my digital library I realized some time ago I had lost my play counts. So, almost 2700 of 3100 albums showed a zero play count. Now I knew for certain I had listened to the majority of those albums showing zero play counts but I decided to create a Zero Playlist and I have been playing those albums for God knows how long. From the 2700 albums showing zero plays I am now down to under 500. The point is while listening to these I have come across a number of albums that I simply don't care if I ever hear them again and I have deleted them from my digital library. More frequently though I hear albums I don't know as well as others and realize I should be listening to them more often.

12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Top five Tull, for me! :righton:

Beyond Mania likes this.
  13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

These are a few from Music Artists, who I love most of their Albums.

Pink Floyd-The Final Leftovers, errrrrr.....The Final Cut(Tuneless Crap-IMO)

Radiohead-The King Of Limbs(although the Final Song, Separator is one of their Best, but 3 of the Songs(Feral, Bloom and Morning Mr. Magpie) are terrible-IMO. The other 4 Songs are ok, but a few of them are similar to past Songs they have made. The B-Side, The Daily Mail is better than 7 of the Songs on the actual Album).

David Bowie-Tonight(Rock Bottom)

Lou Reed-Metal Machine Music(WTF?)

The CURE-Wild Mood Swings(The Only CURE Album I never bought)

Joe Jackson-Jumpin’ Jive(I have no interest in 1940s Swing Music)

BLUR-Think Tank(maybe not a Terrible Album, but I lost interest after buying it upon release. With Coxon having left the Band, Think Tank was not really a BLUR Album anyways to me).

Suede-A New Morning(at least they came back about a decade later to release 3 more Great Albums so far).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  14. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

I'm a completist with the following artists......but they do have THAT one album that makes me feel like I need to wash my hands again after touching it.

1. Todd Rundgren-State
    2. Uriah Heep-Wonderworld
    3. Mission U.K-Masque
    4. Dusty Springfield-A Very Fine Love (her final album...Nothing wrong with Dusty but the material is just color by number Adult Contemporary radio stuff. It's just aural wallpaper.
    5. Benny Mardones-Stand By Your Man (same reason as the Dusty Springfield album above)
    6. Journey-Eclipse
    7. Chilliwack-All Over You
    8. Paul McCartney-Off The Ground
    9. Ringo Starr-Ringo the 4th.
    10. George Harrison-Extra Texture
    11. Alice Cooper-Special Forces
    12. The Temptations Do The Temptations

15. Python

Python Forum Resident

I agree, if it's a band I really like, I buy all their albums, period. Now, does that mean I listen to them often? No, but I'll play them once in a blue moon (which usually reminds me exactly whey they aren't in the regular rotation ; )

Which means yes, I still buy Stones albums - well, I did, they of course haven't had a real one in 16 years, probably for the best - and yes, I listen to post-'87 Springsteen, as (mostly) awful as those albums are.

16. Frank Zappa vs. The Mothers of Prevention

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bands that have lost main members...

18. RebelKatt

RebelKatt Forum Resident

I love UFO, but I have to admit I have no interest in any pre- Shenker releases. Or any post- Chapman come to think of it...

internetcurmudgeon likes this.
  19. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Manic Street Preachers - Know Your Enemy. Apart from a few bright spots (Found That Soul, Ocean Spray and Let Robeson Sing) it's a complete disaster.

20. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Dude, if I knew where you lived...:realmad:

Grateful Dead - Shakedown Street
    Yes, some songs are gorgeous, but the album sucks beyond belief.

phillyal1 likes this.
  21. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

The Who It’s Hard & Face Dances
    Quite a few late period Dylan especially the Sinatra albums
    Neil Young The Times, Live Greendale, A Letter Home and a couple of the Archive Releases
    A few Stones

Day_Tripper2019 likes this.
  22. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Any exceptions?

23. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

How about The La's? Exactly one studio album!

Keep it short and it's doable. I've got the entire discographies of Keane (5), The Smiths (4), The Sundays (3), and David & David (1).

PS: Agreed on Rattle & Hum. Ugh. Never bought it, and I have everything else up through Achtung Baby.

24. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Jazz, there are several, but in rock, very few— the Kinks, Frank Zappa, the Isley Brothers—there are probably a handful more, but I can’t think of any.

25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Same here with The La's
    I never bothered with that live Smiths LP, though technically it's post-breakup. Is it any good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.