What are some good record shops in Seattle?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by TheRealMcCoy, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm going to Seattle toward the end of the month and need a list of good record shops in Seattle?

Thanks,
    Marko

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

3. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks, that helped!

4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

If you're including CDs in that inquiry (LPs and CDs are both "records" to me), I'd recommend the Silver Platters chain (possibly the best in the entire country), Sonic Boom, and Easy Street. All have several locations.

5. Mel O

Mel O Member

Golden Oldies on 45th street is always worth a look as well...

6. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

I can't believe that place is still there. I used to shop there back in the early eighties, and they had an absolutely incredible selection of 45's. Just 45's, that was all. You could get a real education about the history of pop music just being in that place. Eventually they added LP's, and of course, CD's, and it never was quite the same after that. I figured the coming of the CD would doom them, but they soldiered on. But it's not the same.

7. annewithane

annewithane New Member

And if you're adventurous and want to travel down to Federal Way I discovered a place down there called Al's Records - good selection of CD's and albums - gigantic selection of $1 records on bottom shelves. I found some real treasures in there (well treasures to me anyway :D) They're across the street from the SeaTac Mall now known as the Federal Way Commons apprently.

8. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Easy Street Records is a must - I fell in love with that store. I still wear the t-shirt proudly that I bought back in 2005!

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

What's the store right next to the middle of campus - several blocks down the street from the temporary location of the Tower Records? I visited a couple of years ago, and they had a pretty nice selection.

10. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

You mean Cellophane Records? There's also Al's across the street.

There is a newer place - I don't know the name. Walk over one block from University Way and down from the IHOP. It's right past the hot dog place, movie theater, and comic store on the cross street across from I think a WaMu. Go down the steps - I spent more there than at Cellophane, Easy Street, or Everyday Music.

When in Seattle I spent the most recently at Silver Platters.

11. louder

louder New Member

The Silver Platters by Seattle Center has a very good selection, that's where I bought my Rubinoos box set yesterday. Only downside to it is the price, not too many discounts. Easy Street is also a good place to hang out. I haven't been to Safeco in a couple of years (living in L.A.) so I don't know if it's still there, but there was a very good jazz store at the Square down there.

12. annewithane

annewithane New Member

13. No one likes Jive Time? I do. There's two locations, one on Capitol Hill and on in Fremont. The Capitol Hill store seems to have a little more variety.

For new stuff, a large Silver Platters opened in the old Tower location at the end of Mercer down near Aurora Ave and Seattle Center.

Bud's Jazz Records is still operating in Pioneer Square.

14. Kid_Naitch

Kid_Naitch Forum Resident

Hi all, I'm headed to Seattle this a.m. and thought I'd resurrect this thread. Any places that someone would recommend for CDs and vinyl? Anyone know anything about the Sub Pop store? Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.