What Are Some Of The Best MM/User Replaceable Stylus Carts Out There?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EdogawaRampo, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

H8SLKC likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Someone mentioned the Goldring 1042.

Has anyone in the U.S. ordered this cartridge from Europe? Prices there at some shops seem lower than what U.S. stockists are charging...

I'd consider one at the European price but not at the U.S. price. There is always the chance of getting hit with customs fees though, so it might be a wash ordering from Europe.

3. macster

macster Forum Resident

That was my conclusion after using MC's. It was that the hassle just wasn't worth it to me. The ease/affordability of replacement as also had a great deal impact on my decision to move back to MM.

M~

4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I ordered a 1042 from England several years ago. It was below the threshold for customs fees. And I wasn’t charged VAT.

H8SLKC and patient_ot like this.
  5. gumsrave

gumsrave Forum Resident

Fair points! Sounds like the kind of thing I'm likely to say at some point down the track. For now, I'm thoroughly enjoying my first MC experience.

H8SLKC and punkmusick like this.
  6. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member Thread Starter

I haven't gone through really any of what's available at the higher end of MMs, so I don't really know what I'm missing from down that road, but I will say that moving coils deliver - in my experience, anyway - much more in terms of detail and refinement in the sound, no doubt about that.

7. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

One of the nicest systems I've ever heard was fronted up by an IQ3 - really impressed.

IQ users: have you found the relatively high (6.5 mV) output best suited to a lower gain phono stage at all?

8. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I second this. Reviews on this cartridge are great. This is what I'm using.

H8SLKC and JNTEX like this.
  9. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I use my IQ3 with a Graham Slee Accession phono stage (input rating 1.6mV to 7.2mV recommended, max 35mV rms. Max output 5.2V rms).

I have also used it with a Graham Slee Reflex M (1.6mV to 9.2mV recommended, max 46mV rms. Max output 5.2V rms).

In each case they sound superb & the higher cartridge output means it matches the volume of my digital sources well without needing adjustment.

Shiver likes this.
  10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

How much better/different are your Lyras compared to your favorite MM cartridges? This is something I rarely see people post about high end MC vs MM, so I'm curious what you think sound quality wise leaving the convenience aside.

Edit: posted that when I was still reading page 1, I see you've elaborated on the second page.

11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Heckto35, Doc Diego and H8SLKC like this.
  12. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I think most ignore this cart unless they are introduced to it via a TT purchase.

13. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

H8SLKC likes this.
  14. EdogawaRampo

Subtle details that you'll never hear on the Shure, soundstage depth, warmer and better articulated tonality through the spectrum, firstly apparent in the relaxed but extended highs, but also very noticeable in the tightened, better defined bass...any of the Lyras will reveal things you probably never heard or noticed before on even your favourite records. Both the Lyra monos brought out life in my best mono records, made the vocals lift up off the instrumental and come forward in a way I hadn't heard before...

Now all the above might make you think the Shure is just junk and it absolutely is not, but you would not expect to compare it with carts that are many times more expensive. Still, it holds its own for something that, if I recall correctly, I paid around $425 or $450 or so. Like I probably mentioned before, I'm surprised at how good it sounds. Really makes me sad Shure discontinued it, but it's great that JICO still makes two or three replacement styluses for it.

SandAndGlass and hvbias like this.
  15. EdogawaRampo

I'd like to see their recommendations.

16. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

+1 for nagaoka mp500

Paul H likes this.
  17. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

18. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Most recent archive here:

VPI Industries

19. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I've bought two Goldring 1042 from Analogue Seduction, they came to $375 and $355 shipped. No customs tax charged.

I like the 1042 very much, but I am tempted by an IQ3. I would love to compare the two, but it is an expensive propostion.

patient_ot likes this.
  20. EdogawaRampo

Sheesh...Audio Note has the most user unfriendly web info ever. I could not find a published price for the IQ3 anywhere -- not on the company website, not from any distributor in the UK, US or AU--they just bounce you back to the company website.

I suppose this is supposed to signal 'exclusive' to potential customers. It's starting to signal "more trouble than it's worth" to me. Can anyone point me to some buying info anywhere?

SandAndGlass and H8SLKC like this.
  21. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

AN published info isn't the best or the most transparent, but any time I've contacted them (phone and email) they've been fantastic. Responsive and very helpful.

Quick email to a dealer should do it.

Paul H likes this.
  22. EdogawaRampo

Sent one to a US dealer on the East Coast two days ago. Nothing yet.

H8SLKC likes this.
  23. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I believe they don't allow dealers to publish pricing to avoid undercutting (including from different markets). Peter Qvortrup runs his company very tightly but when I emailed him I got a fast and very helpful reply.

24. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I tried an Ortofon 2M Black but found its top end to be too "fizzy" for my system and ears. While I like being able to hear detail, I found it too revealing. I tried a Nagaoka MP500 which is probably at the very opposite end of the sound profile spectrum and it suits me much better. To be fair to the Black, it most likely wasn't set up as well as it needed to be, but it's finicky nature is a mark against it in my opinion. I'm really enjoying the Nag but you have to be a fan of a "blacker" sound.

Jelloalien, patient_ot and H8SLKC like this.
  25. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I'll throw in a vote for the Clearaudio MM carts. They are quite overpriced IMO, and I only have a Virtuoso because it came with my turntable, and Clearaudio insists that they are not user serviceable, when they certainly are, and easily. They use exposed/naked styli, a blessing for alignment but some find them easily snagged and broken. However, if you find yourself with one, and they can be had on the cheap online because of said broken styli, they sound wonderful and the user can easily install readily-available AT95e styli into them for a pittance. I'm listening to a Virtuoso right now onto which I installed a 95HE stylus and it sounds better than any other other cart I've used, although admittedly I haven't owned any other very expensive carts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.