What are some of your favorite DVD's?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tyler, Jun 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

These DVD's are some of the highlights of my collection:

The Beatles Anthology
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Criterion)
    Robocop (Criterion)
    The Godfather Trilogy
    Pulp Fiction (Two disc special edition)
    Boogie Nights
    Magnolia
    Fight Club
    Chasing Amy (Criterion, was it released by anyone else?)

2. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I reach for these the most:

Alien Legacy
    Fifth Element - Superbit
    Dances with Wolves 2DVD - DTS (Real deal, not imported)
    Bug's Life CE
    Monsters Inc.
    Dragonheart - DTS
    Saving Private Ryan - DTS
    The Haunting DTS
    Star Wars - Ep. 1&2
    The Rock - Criterion

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Isn't this thread another way of asking what our favorite movies are?

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Nope, that's the only release of it on DVD.

Some of my favorite jaw droppers in terms of the presentation and extras:

Atlantis SE (Disney)
    Beastie Boys Video Anthology (despite the fact that the 5.1 mixes are unlistenable)
    Brazil (Criterion)
    Black Hawk Down 3-disc Deluxe Edition
    Emperor's New Groove SE
    From Hell 2-disc edition
    Halloween Limited Edition
    Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Rings Extended Edition
    Memento Limited Edition (I hate the @%& menus, though)
    The Red Shoes (Criterion)
    Rushmore (Criterion)
    Saving Private Ryan DTS (extras shmextras, the soundtrack made me dive for cover under my sofa)
    Silence of the Lambs Criterion (beats the MGM in every way despite being non-anamorphic and 2.0. Well, the MGM has a few less compression artifacts)
    Singin' in the Rain - 2-disc SE
    Snow White Platinum Edition
    Spartacus (Criterion)
    Standing in the Shadows of Motown
    Superman
    Stop Making Sense
    Sullivan's Travels (Criterion)
    Sunset Boulevard
    Tarzan Collector's Edition (Disney)
    Tron - 20th Anniversary CE
    Wizard of Oz (WB version - missing only the laserdisc commentary, original mono track, and kitchen sink - Hopefully a new 2-disc version will cover 2 out of those 3)

All of the Pixar SEs
    All of the Vault Disney and Disney Treasures releases (including "stealth" Vault Disney releases of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "The Love Bug")

Regards,

5. Ken_McAlinden

For a favorite DVD, I took it as the combination of movie and DVD presentation. My favorite films are "Casablanca", "Strangers on a Train", and "Miller's Crossing". I didn't list them because they are presented OK, but not in a "knock your socks off" kind of way on DVD. In reality, I care more about the steak than the sizzle, but when you have a nice steak with a lot of sizzle, too, it can be home theater "Nerdvana".

Regards,

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I thought the DVD package for UNBREAKABLE was very good.

I've seen SAVING PRIVATE RYAN on another system, and it is amazing. At one point during the battle at the end, you could hear individual shell casings ping off the right wall and bounce on the floor. I haven't bought this DVD because, frankly, I don't want to get inured to this level of realistic violence through repeated exposure. It should remain shocking.

7. Tyler

This thread isn't specifically about a film, it's about the actual DVD (commentary tracks, deleted scenes, etc.)

8. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Terminator 3
    Being There
    Field Of Dreams
    Star Wars
    Fifth Element
    Matrix
    Pappilon
    Woodstock
    Monterey Pop
    The Dance (Fleetwood Mac)
    A Star Is Born
    2000 Maniacs
    The Shining
    The Werewolf (The Lon Chaney Classic One)

9. Tyler

Steve,

That was the point of this thread. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

10. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Wow! Do you really have T3?!?

11. Tyler

This one isn't even in theaters!

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hee. So you're saying that a not so great movie can come out on top if it has a bunch of extra stuff on the DVD?

"You kids today!"......:)

13. Tyler

Well I have been suckered in to watching some pretty bad movies because of my friend's "Ultra-deluxe collectors ediion" of said bad movie. To me a good DVD has both a great film, and good supplements and or packaging.

Take the movie Traffic, for example. The Criterion disc of Traffic is almost like attending film school. There's some fascinating stuff on there. It enhances a good movie, and makes a great DVD.

14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

For a killer combination of a truly great film and impressive DVD features, I'll have to give the nod to Citizen Kane. The making-of documentary on the second disc alone is worth multiple viewings.

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The DVD of Saturday Night Fever does have some wonderful extras.

16. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I'll add Montery Pop

17. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Saving Private Ryan-DTS
    8 Mile-DTS
    Saturday Night Fever
    Money Talks
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit-Special Edition
    Beatles Anthology
    Jurassic Park-DTS
    Monsters, Inc.
    Aliens
    A Bug's Life-Collector's Edition
    The Young Ones-Every Stoopid Episode
    The Monkees-Season One Box Set
    Queen-Greatest Video Hits 1-DTS
    Standing In The Shadows Of Motown-DTS
    The Family Guy Vol. 1-Season 1 & 2
    Doctor Zhivago
    Lawrence Of Arabia
    Spinal Tap-Criterion
    Robocop-Criterion
    Gimme Shelter-Criterion
    Mickey Mouse In Living Color-Disney Treasures

18. Ken_McAlinden

It's not just DVDs. Keep in mind that we, the members of your forum, are such sheep that we would probably buy a decent number of CD copies of "The Complete Recorded Works of The Olsen Twins" if we heard that it was well-mastered and had a few bonus tracks. :laugh:

addendum: I apologize. That was hasty and unfair. In reality, a significant number of us would wait to see if there was going to be a vinyl release before purchasing the CD.

Regards,

19. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

During the Christmas season 2000 I was talking on the phone to a friend of mine about how our Holiday shopping was going. I told him I'd ordered the Criterion Collection "Gimmie Shelter" for a couple of friends from 800.com and that I'd come across a video compilation by Björk called "Volumen" and I thought I'd pick it up after the Holidays. I'd seen the videos for "Human Behaviour" & "I Miss You" on MTV2 and thought if they were all I might like on the comp. it would still be worth it. Wouldn't you know on Christmas Day I received that very comp. from that friend and I LOVED it! It was my first music video comp. on DVD and the idea that I could easily access any song easily really sold me.

In Feb. 2002 WEA released several of Björk's concert performances on DVD and the one that stood out for me was a Cambridge show from 1998. I'd put it up against any other live DVD because it's so distinctive. If you'd like to check out an editted version of the show and can get Trio! from your cable/sat. provider, they air it under the title "Homogenous".

20. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Clerks: The Animated Series
    We love Kevin Smith, and we love cartoons, and for a long time, this was our default DVD. Nothing on TV tonight? Put on the Clerks Cartoons! As always with Smith DVD's, lots of extras, hilarious commentary track, and animantics for each of the episodes.

This Is Spinal Tap
    The fun starts with this one before the movie even starts, as David, Nigel and Derek start riffing on the title menus, to the point where you keep watching them to see what'll happen next. I've never seen the Criterion version, which features commentary by the director, and is more geared towards the history of the actual film, but watching the film with the in-character commentary is almost like seeing an all new film.

J-Men Forever
    An old 70's cult classic from Procter and Bergman of the Firesign Theatre. Used to show up often in the 80's on USA Network's weekendNight Flight shows. The premise: old Republic Serial footage (ie, "Commando Cody," "Captain Marvel", etc.) is edited together with newly dubbed dialogue (ala What's Up Tiger Lily?) to create a new story of gangsters, moon men, secret agents and rock and roll. Just as funny now as when you first saw it in the 80's, and a great party disc.

Beany And Cecil
    The B&C cartoons here are just part of the fun. This DVD doubles as a history and biography of the work of Bob Clampett, featuring many examples of his entire career's work, plus episodes of the original Time For Beany. The very day I bought my first DVD player, I made sure I bought this DVD to go with it. Only one problem: No examples of Clampett's WB work.

Chuck Jones: Extremes And In-Betweens
    On the other hand, this PBS documentary is chock full of clips from Chuck's masterfull work at Warner Brothers and elsewhere. Great comments from Jones and others who worked with him over the years. Especially look for Stan Freberg's explaination of Jones' mastery of comic timing. As a bonus, the first authorized DVD release of two of Jones' complete classic WB cartoons, Duck Dodgers in the 24th 1/2 Century and Feed The Kitty (sorry Steve, no One Froggy Evening). If this isn't the argument to release these cartoons on DVD, nothing is- the transfer is so clear, you can see the paintbrush strokes on the cells.

21. Drew

Drew Senior Member

King Crimson - Deja Vroom

Cool to be able to select which musician I can watch thru the entire song. I think this is out of print, though.

22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

one of my favourites, and one of the most under rated movies!!!!

23. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

wow, Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings EE has been mentioned just once? I think it's the standard to judge all the others by.

I'd also add:

Gladiator
    Apocalypse Now Redux
    Bruce Springsteen Live in NYC
    O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    Se7en

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

For the extra stuff... my faves are: The Crow (Part 1), The Matrix and Pulp Fiction.

I must say... I don't like very much watching movies at home... I rather spend the time in movie theatres.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.