What are the best rock and roll movies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Blastproof, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Kind of surprised that no one has mentioned Get Crazy, Allan Arkush's other rock 'n roll film. Sadly only released legitimately on VHS.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My memory is that the L train was in the background, not by the car. But it's been awhile.

Because everything is on the internet, here's the scene in question that reveals the Bluesmobile power source...

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Almost Famous is my favorite of the ones that I have seen.

Serene and Vidiot like this.
  4. Serene

Serene Member

I am so all in on “Almost Famous” but you slayed me with the Director’s Cut detail. I can’t do it. It just feels very, very wrong to me. And I’m a left-handed, rabble-rousing Aquarius heretic existing in reactionary rebel mode almost all the time. I always choose change over sameness, with the possibility of this single exception. The Director’s cut feels like hearing one of my all-time favorite songs on the radio for the first time in ages only to discover as we sing along that some jerk has jacked up the lyrics just enough to take it from blissfully familiar to an episode of Punk’d. But even allowing for that clear sacrilege, I am unmoved in my opinion of its greatness. It is still the best. I wobble occasionally, but I still think the “Uncool” scene (Patrick Fugit & the late, ever-so-great Philip Seymour Hoffman) may very well be the best movie scene ever. Of any movie, in any genre. I don’t think I could ever tire of watching it. (And I’ve put in a lot of time over the years {ostensibly} trying.)
    Every now and then a rare movie comes along that actually gets better every time I rewatch it. And that’s kind of a big deal for me, anyway, because I don’t necessarily love movies in general. I am ADHD incarnated into a hyper woman-child, and a lot of even very good movies can end up feeling like torture to sit through. But not Almost Famous. Almost Famous is comfort food. Almost Famous is my friend. I’ve yet to bump into a wall with it. I love it more with each rewatching. Everyone is perfect in it. The soundtrack alone is more than enough reason to play it. It just makes me plain, old-fashioned happy. Even when I’m stomping around trying to put on a convincing show of a full-grown woman enacting the terriblest Terrible Two impersonation I can muster, stubbornly holding onto my god given right to brattiness, the moment I hear stupid Alvin and his stupid Chipmunk band, signaling the Almost Famous opening scene, all obstinance withers. If I had to choose between Almost Famous and a Xanax when I’m overwhelmed and stressed out, it’s not even a contest.
    “I AM A GOLDEN GOD!”
    Simply perfection.

GT40sc and carrick doone like this.
  5. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Eddie And The Cruisers!!!!!!!
    :edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs:

(Warning: Spoiler Alert/Clip)

6. maclen

maclen Senior Member

So many good ones already stated but I will give another vote to American Hot Wax.

Another hard to find movie is That’ll Be The Day with David Essex. And it also contains Ringo’s best acting performance.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one of my favorites!

8. Michael

I prefer the directors cut...

ssmith3046 likes this.
  9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

on youtube too

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Love to see it get the Criterion treatment.

11. Michael

Indeed...I've been hoping for this for years...: )

12. Motown Junk

Motown Junk Forum Resident

It's a British TV movie, but I've always loved The Comic Strip Presents... the Bad News Tour.

It features a lot of the cast of the Young Ones - Rik Mayall, Ade Edmondson and Niger Planer.

I guess I would describe it as Spinal Tap meets the Young Ones.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.