What are the best sounding "Greatest Hits" albums. (on vinyl) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Kaspick, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Really? What edition? The recent copy I bought is, imho, absolutely terrible (2009 Island). And not the pressing. The sonics are awful.

john lennonist, neilspeed and E.Baba like this.
  2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Ole ELO

maui jim and c-eling like this.
  3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

The one I have (tri-colored 2xLP) sounds great! Not necessarily "audiophile", but great dynamic range, quiet, flat etc. Sounds SO MUCH better than the CD version I grew up with.

Szeppelin75 and Paully like this.
  4. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Most of the original Bob Marley LPs on Island were mastered at STERLING and sound great.

Paully, Szeppelin75, Gavinyl and 2 others like this.
  5. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

My Roulette LP of Tommy James Something Special sounds very good.....unique for a Roulette Records album.

6. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Steely dan - greatest hits (rl)

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Full length Kuiama right Doc? I have an ECK, No 'Roy' credit that sounds great.
    I think there are some edit manufacturing's done as well.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ventures Grt Hits on Tridex 2 LPs...

9. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

my linda ronstadt 1 and 2 were found under 10 bucks each and sound excellent.

10. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Carole King - Her Greatest Hits (Songs Of Long Ago)

11. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Original US Hot Rocks, with side 3, the greatest side of rock and roll ever

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No more suggestions?

13. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Did you already buy everything suggested?:laugh:

14. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

The Association-Greatest Hits Warner 7 ArtsGreen label is demo quality !

15. you can try the sacd (I know it's not vinyl but it's worth mentioning), the original press too

black sheriff and Paully like this.
  16. PatrickG

PatrickG Forum Resident

Agreed. I spent a morning recently comparing it to the HD Tracks version and, quite frankly, found the vinyl just as rewarding.

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You must be one of the lucky ones. That is usually one of the worst ones. However, there is one pressing on the usually bad MCA blue sky label that is stunning. All the tracks sound better than the same ones on the parent albums. I haven't a clue how they pulled that off. I bet you have the same exact pressing. I have owned numerous copies and they are typically horribly pressed, as was just about everything MCA mfg during that era, unless it was Steely Dan.

18. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Paul Simon Greatest Hits, Etc.
    Abba Greatest Hits
    Wings Wings Greatest

My UK 70's pressings of these all play phenomenal. They were all acquired second hand and even since I got them have been played on different equipment with I'd say varying degrees of stylus quality and when I eventually settled on decent gear, still sound great.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You have an uphill battle as most hits albums on vinyl aren't that great because of the way they are usually mastered but that Stevie Wonder shows it can be done! If you are a fan get a copy, but I'm sure we are both referring to the original pressing, not the recent reissue. There is a rumor Stevie doesn't allow the use of his masters. Can't blame him...I wouldn't unless I hand delivered and then waited for them back! It's pretty obvious the masters were used for the first pressing. I got lucky and obtained a sealed copy a few years ago for $50...not cheap but worth every penny.

Chemguy, john lennonist and dee like this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Didn't know that existed. Beautiful. I just obtained a Japanese pressing of the newer version for their 1975-79 hits and the sound on every track is outstanding. Another example that a hits album can be done right if the label cares. I need to find a copy of your suggestion!EDIT...just bought a copy from ebay.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Hadean75 likes this.
  21. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Two amazing Kinks Greatest should be had. The Ugly Pink and the Black Album. Both of these sound wonderful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I echo the Steely Dan and Hall/Oates. The Cars DCC I'm sure is fantastic but probably a bank buster if you can even find one. The fairly recent two disc from Rhino sounds very good at a reasonable price and a nice package as well. If you like Billy Joel and can still find a copy, the three disc from Mobile Fidelity is absolutely killer and beautifully packaged but it seemed to go out of stock almost instantly. I believe they are running another 1500 copies though. It's $90 and I can't believe I'm saying this...and worth it!

snorker likes this.
  23. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Get this one while you're at it.

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Note the UK pressing detail! The Wings US version is crammed with two many songs so it is no sonic wonder. Perhaps the UK is much better. I don't recommend the US ABBA either. The Simon is decent. Another that sounds quite good is the McCartney recent box set of hits. If you can still find it. My local store has a copy so they are probably out there still. Worth the $65 with a generous track list on, I believe, four albums.

john lennonist and CBS 65780 like this.
  25. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Yes, but Legend was posthumous, made for CD and overly long for a 1lp vinyl. First press UK is my preference for vinyl.

Defdum&blind, Jrr and Paully like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.