What are the best sounding "Greatest Hits" albums. (on vinyl) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Kaspick, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

The Hollies Hollies Greatest UK Parlophone 1968 MONO
    The Hollies All The Hits And More - The Definitive Collection UK EMI 1988 STEREO

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Original 1969 Polydor UK Best Of Bee Gees feels about .25" thick. Plays great, just the right amount of tunes per side.
    I have had so many compilations that would have benefited from a different running order, mainly from not having a rockin' tune to close out the sides due to the distortion.

I also played both Paul McCartney All The Best! records only recently, over Christmas, and for 1987, they still play great. UK, again.

Jrr likes this.
  3. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Have both of these and totally agree. Picked up an original Hollies Greatest in Good Vibrations in Nottingham for £3.50 (!!) about ten years ago, plays superb.

Gavinyl likes this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

When all is said and done, I think those two are the best sounding Hollies I myself have ever come across.

The way I'm Alive sounds on that mono Parlophone Hollies Greatest is just killer IMO.

5. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer Forum Resident

The Buddy Holly I have sounds wonderfully good but I heard people mentioned that the Carpenters one sounds sucky

6. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Legend was released in 1984, still vinyl era. First and second press US versions are STERLINGs, sound good, and sound better than the 2009 reissue. @Paully

Scribbled_Lines, Gavinyl and dee like this.
  7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Agreed.

One more I thought of: Paul Simon - Negotiations and Love Songs. Sounds phenomenal and can be found relatively cheap.

8. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    black sheriff likes this.
  9. dee

dee Senior Member

Yes, I only got it on LP recently, but iirc the deadwax etc. was an early issue (1980/82?) so am looking forward to listening to it. It was only $4 so I grabbed it and it included the advert too, but I have yet had time to have it cleaned and give it a close listen.

10. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

My 30th anniversary tri-colour pressing sounds great

11. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

The tri-color Legend has been reissued multiple times since 2004. There's even a 2xLP tri-color version. I believe that's the 30th Anniversary.

12. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

That's the one I have. It has a couple of extra tracks as well.

13. Totally agree; sounds great. A regular on my TT

john lennonist and Dr. Funk like this.
  14. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Agree the early ones are the better ones from what I've heard.

I kept away from the recent 2lp tricolour gimmick for fear of a repeat surface noise at the colour change 4 times a revolution.

Barry Diament CD is good but I'm not mentioning it on a vinyl thread.

15. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I dig the Diament CD. I've never heard the 2xLP tri-color that Ash recommended. With about 16-17 minutes of music a side, I'd like to hear that one. I have the 1xLP tri-color and the 2009 reissue and don't listen to them. The first press UK Sound Clinic/Jonz you have looks good. I think you're right about the CD, my first and second press Legend vinyl runs about 27 minutes a side:yikes:. They were really pushing it.

E.Baba likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I just got an imported copy that was sitting at my local store and yes, a nice surprise. A less expensive way to get his hits in a good sounding package VS the box set. I don't think this was released in the US so you'll have to hit the Bay to buy one!

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes, don't get the colored version. Ask me how I know! All his music was recorded very well, and Legend does sound decent, just get the older pressing. I really hate this gimmicky colored vinyl crap, most of it sounding terrible. I hear color shouldn't matter, but 95% of anything I have ever purchased on colored vinyl is noisy so there is definitely something to it.

18. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Pure McCartney
    Lovely Creatures (Nick Cave)
    Beatles blue and red recent as a reissues

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

20. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

That Small Faces - Greatest Hits reissue of their Immediate Singles from a few years back sounds pretty good.

21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I agree that this is the usual scenario! My EJ GH2, however, is a tan label MCA. It's a Canadian original, and it's amazing, it really is.

Jrr likes this.
  22. Nrochie4184

Nrochie4184 Forum Resident

Agreed, plus a great track list to boot

Exit Flagger likes this.
  23. Nrochie4184

Nrochie4184 Forum Resident

Bill Withers - Greatest Hits (Mofi)
    Al Greene - Greatest Hits (DCC)

john lennonist likes this.
  24. Dante Fontana

Dante Fontana Forum Resident

I've got the stereo greatest hits - dreadful sound! thought the bass units had blown while I was out of the room but that's how anaemic Carrie Anne is.
    Anyway, thanks for the heads up - I'll now look out for a mono copy.

25. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

The Best of Ramsey Lewis on Chess, demo disc stuff, incredible sonics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.