What are the best sounding Jimi Hendrix CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harlanator, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I don't want to sound like a Douglas apologist but he did do a lot of good work with the Hendrix catalog. To me his worst faux pas was putting the warm up at the beginning of the Monterey album. I even enjoy the alternate album covers on the MCA Experience albums although the VooDoo Soup cover was a bridge too far. That one is gross.

alchemy and A Local Bloke like this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I didn’t say it was your terminology. I was just quoting your post and commenting on the released album/cd, and not what was left off the cd. For sure, I know about the unreleased stuff, too.

3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I love that warm up, even edited onto the EH version. Concerts, Monterey and :blues are the best of the Douglas era with the Ryko albums close behind.

4. John Harchar

Just to be clear, I’m referring to the PHA version of the song Crash Landing, that’s a disaster. I’ve advocated for EH to stream the albums Crash Landing and Midnight Lightning if they don’t want to do a physical release. Voodoo Soup I get would be a bridge too far.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Ok, then we can agree to disagree, as we're just debating semantics. I was definitely not clear in my first post, though. The album contains some Frankensteined tracks, not the whole album. I will say that I think the edits were well done, however. IMO, :Blues was the best thing AD put out during his tenure.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Strawberry Fields Forever comes to mind.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  7. Detroit Rock Citizen

On Anthology 2 I would say Penny Lane would be the biggest culprit

alchemy likes this.
  8. Detroit Rock Citizen

Why ? Are you the guy who's upset by Dolly dagger not being included? In any case, I wouldn't be upset if they had a cover change.

9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Self explanatory in the first place.

10. Detroit Rock Citizen

Let's not forget that Douglas also compiled two very good compilations with the Essential Jimi Hendrix and Kiss the Sky.

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I thought that Radio One sounded great, especially after hearing the EH BBC Sessions a decade later for comparison.

Taxman, alchemy, Lownote30 and 2 others like this.
  12. Detroit Rock Citizen

Except for a few releases EH's philosophy seems to be have bricks will travel.

13. sbardc

sbardc Forum Resident

Just don't listen to Radio One through headphones....or your melon will get severely twisted!

14. John Harchar

I think CL and ML would be a little more palatable since there are unique tracks on it they haven’t reissued yet. All the tracks on VS are back out again so they likely would think that album is taken care of. But EH don’t seem to care for any of them so I’m not expecting to see them any time soon.

I’m in the camp of hoping for one more catch all set to clean up the remaining studio PPX tracks, maybe the 4 Toungblood sides, anything from CL, ML or 92TU (and Loose Ends for that matter) that hasn’t been put out in its original form along with some live tracks (LA, first set Berkeley and the remaining San Diego tracks I’d suspect are the main pool to choose from). Just get them out of the way already.

All Down The Line likes this.
  15. John Harchar

Thanks for the warning! I’ve always generally liked the sound of it and was disappointed it left off Little Miss Lover and Please Crawl Out Your Window.

16. sbardc

sbardc Forum Resident

Yeah, much as I prefer the general sound of Radio One to the later BBC Sessions discs, that strange fake stereo effect - although managable through speakers - is just too wonky for the brain to handle up close!

17. pool_of_tears

Songs edited together from different takes, I don’t consider that as frankenstein’d. that’s just editing and piecing things together. Now, if they’d have isolated and lifted a vocal or guitar solo from one performance and inserted it into another take, that would be more of. Frankenstein process. That’s just how I see it.

The Blues cd is one of Douglas’ best releases from his tenure, for sure.

Library Eye and jhm like this.
  18. pool_of_tears

Both are fake stereo. There’s a boot that has the tracks in mono. It leaves the EH and Douglas discs in the dust, though I still enjoy tjose.

19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, they did remaster The Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge a few years back. DR 12 and 11 respectively.

20. slane

slane Forum Resident

How so? It's just a remix of the track that includes many elements left out of the original mix(es). All of those elements 'belong' to the master take (or pre reduction mixes of that take), nothing is 'flown in' or suchlike.

21. Detroit Rock Citizen

To me it sounds the most different

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

“It sounds different” doesn’t make a “Frankenstein”.

23. jwis206

jwis206 Senior Member

I really like the Analogue Productions hybrid SACDs of "Are You Experienced" and "Axis: Bold As Love."

jhm and Lownote30 like this.
  24. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The Dr. or the Dr.'s Monster?

jhm likes this.
  25. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Gary did a great job if you consider killing the entire vibe of the songs and having the nuance of a 5 year old a great job.

melkor_morgoth likes this.