What are the quintessential SACDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Isamet, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

There are several ways of decoding DSD. You would expect that a proper SACD player will decode directly from DSD to the analogue domain, but cheaper players and “universal” players will often translate DSD to PCM and than decode the PCM to an analogue signal.

The same applies to HDMI: you have to check if your player outputs DSD over HDMI. Some do, some always internally convert to PCM before outputting it.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  2. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Aye Aye!

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

This is regarding "The Raven" by Rebecca Pidgeon. The original Chesky release was not multichannel. "Retrospective" was.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  5. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

The two that immediately came to mind are:
    1. Blood, Sweat & Tears (s/t) - MFSL UDSACD-2009
    2. James Gang Rides Again - MFSL UDSACD-2195
    Both great-sounding discs.

6. Metralla

What I said was: "The original Chesky release was not multichannel." I have it on my shelf and double checked before posting. There must have been a subsequent release by Chesky that was multichannel. I keyed on your use of the word "original".

I would say we are both correct. :)

In fact, Blair G's post says that: "This catalog number corresponds with the multi channel version, there was an earlier stereo only pressing."

7. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

8. Dillydipper

Yeah, I honestly don't know chicken from egg. The Discogs page shows the multi as the first one in the release list...but there could have been a difference in months that the change was made, and technically the multi not being the first one. Could be just a mistake in the order.

There apparently is now a download with 2.0 and 5.0 mixes. There is verbiage out there talking about the "earlier" stereo-only, but sometimes it appears to be only referencing the reviewer comparing the stereo-only SACD to the download, unaware there was a Multi of it. I spent several years looking for the surround, and wondering for myself if I was just imagining it. You'd see eBay sellers calling it "stereo/multichannel" just on the apparent basis that it was SACD (their own photos would show only "stereo" on the cover). The real mystery was why Chesky discontinued the surround in the first place. Artists' insistence? Marketing re-calibration? Limited licensing from Sony? Unsatisfying surround mix? Just wasn't enough knowlegable documentation online, or if it were, it had to fight through all the clutter of others re-printing some sources verbatim.

So let me take this opportunity to ask you: How's the surround!

9. Metralla

No clue - I have a stereo system and a stereo version of "The Raven" on SACD. :)

10. Dillydipper

Yer killin' me here.

Attention, the 10 of you who bought the only Multichannel versions of this SACD in existence - I HATE YOU! :laugh:

11. Metralla

I would say all SACD collectors have a few they let get away - and they were never seen again at normal prices. I remember passing on the Talk Talk "Colour of Spring" SACD in a London store once, as I thought it was a bit pricey and I could do better back in the States. I had the other one. Never saw it again.

VinylCountdown likes this.
  12. Dillydipper

I'm still jonesin' for Moloko's Statues, and Moya Brennan's Two Horizons*, and then I'm callin' it a day.

(*as well as Wilson's Blu-Ray of Tears For Fears Seeds Of Love, but it ain't out yet; and neither is the immersive mix of Colorado Symphony doing Beethoven's 9th...)
    (I suddenly realize, my 'multi'/hi-res' collection is nowhere near finished....)

13. frogsborne

frogsborne Forum Resident

Ultra is amaze balls. My friend who swears sacd isn't any different to CD admits this super audio is good

14. frogsborne

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE'S debut is an amazing SACD

Crimson jon, Frank Field and Yost like this.
  15. frogsborne

Don't say that! I'm trying to stop myself from buying it. The Redbook CD sounds pretty darn good

16. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Junior Kimbrough - First Recordings

17. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Rolling Stones ABCO's
    CCR SACD's.
    Living Stereo SACD's.
    Patricia Barber "Café Blue".
    Miles Davis "Jack Johnson"
    John Coltrane "Soultrane"
    Beck "Sea Change" mch
    Pink Floyd "DSOTM" mch
    Getz/Gilberto SHM-SACD
    L.A.G.Q Telarc.
    Sony JP. "Kind of Blue" hybrid re-issue 2007.
    Carole King "Tapestry"

there are many, many more, but i don't want to be the cause of your family/childern not finding anything under the christmas tree this year.

Regards

18. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

There's an SACD of this? I have the RL Burnside.

19. My multichannel copy has a 2003 copyright listing. It comes in a normal jewel case as opposed to the super jewel case of the stereo-only release. I don't think many were ever pressed, probably something like 1000-1500 units for Chesky.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

All is too broad. I've gotten every SACD I've ever wanted, and didn't let expense stop me. Go into debt, then get out of debt, and my SACD is still there. :winkgrin:

Kristofa and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Too many classical SACD's to list.

22. Metralla

Good on you. There were a couple I just had to pass on, but I was there at Ground Zero and bought a ton at great prices.

Myke likes this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

these 2 are absolutely KILLER!
    AF Donovan
    [​IMG]
    AF The Searchers
    [​IMG]

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you're talking about The Raven multichannel SACD here is one for sale at Discogs for $21.99 plus shipping. I have this and it's a great sounding SACD :).

25. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

[QUOE="DrZhivago, post: 17405611, member: 5366"]Rolling Stones ABCO's
    CCR SACD's.
    Living Stereo SACD's.
    Patricia Barber "Café Blue".
    Miles Davis "Jack Johnson"
    John Coltrane "Soultrane"
    Beck "Sea Change" mch
    Pink Floyd "DSOTM" mch
    Getz/Gilberto SHM-SACD
    L.A.G.Q Telarc.
    Sony JP. "Kind of Blue" hybrid re-issue 2007.
    Carole King "Tapestry"

there are many, many more, but i don't want to be the cause of your family/childern not finding anything under the christmas tree this year.

Regards[/QUOTE]
    You forgot the e john multi sacd that sound great and are not to pricy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.