What are the rules for who owns a band name?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Page was selling $1,500 signed lithographs of a couple LZ album covers a couple years ago. I wonder if it was something he did solo or permission was needed from the others. IIRC, it was for his wife's South American charity.

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I believe that the "Flo & Eddie" (or Phosphorescent Leech & Eddie) name was created became they weren't allowed to record under their own names at that point.

Far as a band not owning its name-- War's ex-manager owns the name, so a largely-bogus War is still touring while the proper band has had to use various names (the "Original Low Riders" is what I believe they're called now).

And BTW-- The Annie Haslam and Michael Dunford "Renaissance" albums were released BEFORE the band's reunion. ALso, the original Renaissance made two albums as Illusion while the famous Renaoissance was still going.

3. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Not exactly the same situation, but Daniel Snaith put out several releases as Manitoba before being sued by "Handsome Dick" Manitoba from the Dictators (yet not by the Canadian government, who would seem to have an even more vested interest :D). He now records as Caribou.

His comment at the time of the lawsuit: "It's like The Smiths suing John Smith or something".

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

You're right, I'm one of those for whom time seems to run into a pool, rather than regress chronologically for events that happened prior to last week.

Of course, Keith Relf, tragically died prior to the Illusion projects being finished.

There was also the case of the Electric Prunes, who, after two stellar psych albums became puppets of David Axelrod and his peculiar artistic vision (not my bag). By the time Release an Oath was recorded, there were no Prunes left, and Axelrod recruited a bunch of new plums to become the Prunes

5. It's worth noting that he caved before the suit went to trial, to avoid the expense. It's pretty certain that he would have won a suit though. It's not like Handsome Dick has particularly great name recognition under his full moniker let alone as "Manitoba", which I don't think he'd registered.

6. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

He runs a bar in NYC called "Manitoba" (which you'd have to had a lot of booze at in order to confuse a bar with an electronic musician), although doesn't "Handsome Dick's" have a much better ring to it?

7. plc2008

plc2008 New Member

There was a program on TV here in the UK a few years back about the death of Brian Jones which alledged that Brian could have claimed ownership of the name the programmer then went on to alledge amongst other theories that Mick/Keith were somehow involved in Brian Jones death

8. SoundAdvice

Would "Bon Jovi" or "Van Halen" be owned by groups, individuals or labels?

I think Tom Petty and Mr. Thunders ignored each other on the topic of who has "the Heartbreakers".

9. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Before the last Van Halen tour with Sammy Hagar a few years ago, Eddie made Michael Anthony sign over all rights to the the VH name. Mike then became an employee. I think Sammy may have traded his rights to the VH name for the Van Halen brother's stake in Sammy's Cabo Wabo company.

10. True "The Turtles" name was owned by White Whale records for a time until Flo & Eddie regained ownership. They adopted the Phlorescent Leech and Eddie title while they were in Frank Zappa's band.

11. Yes.

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I once went to see "Sam and Dave" in the mid-1980s in NYC (The Bottom Line). It turned out to be the real Dave with a fake Sam. Arnie

13. SoundAdvice

ANDREW WK(based on his real name) cannot currently release cds under that name in North America. He is allowed to tour, do voice wok and release vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.