What are you watching on Halloween night?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Prophetzong, Oct 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The Wolfman with Lon Chaney Jr., Mark Of The Vampire with Bela Lugosi, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Disney’s Ichabod Crane and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow with Bing Crosby.

Karnak likes this.
  2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Model Shop. Saw this in the doc on Echo Canyon. Its better than I thought it would be. Great for fans of old LA.

3. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Greta (2018)

Prophetzong likes this.
  4. Criterion edition of Night of the Living Dead.

5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

[​IMG]
    :thumbsup:

Prophetzong and ries like this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I watched the first 2 episodes of Jack Ryan Season 2.

Awful lot of subtitles going on.

7. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

The House on Haunted Hill. Kinda hokey, but Vincent Price rules.

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

We watched child-endangering rain and wind force Harrisburg to postpone Trick Or Treat until tomorrow night...after originally having scheduled the first Trick-Or-Treat to take place on an actual Halloween night, in years.

So, we turned off the lights, piled in the car, and caught a showing of this years' Harriet, a docu-drama on the Underground Railroad, playing at our local indie cinema. (Most of) the candy will have to wait until Friday night, kids!

ries likes this.
  9. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Jingoku and The Shining

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It ain't Halloween without this movie!

Prophetzong likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that was my childhood favorite!

Neil Anderson likes this.
  12. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Halloween!"As a matter of fact that was the boogieman"!

13. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I watched Lucio Fulci's "City of the Living Dead" last night. Creepy atmosphere, lots of gore, amazing soundtrack - that was a fun watch for sure:)

Chrome_Head and unclefred like this.
  14. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

15. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Angel Heart in 4k.

16. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

17. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

The Fearless Vampire Killers, which was tedious despite Sharon Tate's soapy boobs, and Captain Kronos Vampire Killer, which is kind of clumsy but I enjoyed it anyway. Hammer Horror horror movies have always been swashbucklers at heart and you get stunning Carolyn Munroe to boot. One trick, one treat, Not bad.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  18. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

I actually love them both. The Fearless Vampire Killers is not only an excellent parody of Hammer Horror, but the cinematography in it is so sumptuous, lush & beautiful, looking almost like a filmed fairy tale. It's a feast for the eyes.

Kronos is quite enjoyable & an interesting attempt at updating the Hammer Horror template for the 70s, much like Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde, Hands Of The Ripper & The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires. For Hammer vampires though, I tend to somewhat prefer Horror Of Dracula, Brides Of Dracula, The Kiss Of The Vampire & Vampire Circus, though if it's Hammer Horror, I'll watch it!

19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I know Vampire Killers has it's fans and no offense. It does seem that broad comedy like that is very subjective; it either clicks for you or it doesn't. Sharon Tate was stunning though. Woof.

And I completely agree about the vampires. I watched a LOT of Hammer this month and for me, Christopher Lee's Dracula is SO iconic that, whenever I watched a movie where he didn't play the vampire, it was a wee bit of a let down. I felt the same way about the movies without Peter Cushing as Van Helsing, Still some great movies, but there is something really special about watching Cushing and Lee bashing the shyte out of each other. They always seemed like they were having such fun.

20. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Fearless is indeed very broad, & not entirely successful in that regard, on that I do agree. It's not one I return to often, but when I do it's more for the look of it the most. And yes indeed Sharon Tate was stunning in it.

Christopher Lee IS Dracula to me. Nobody else has ever come as close, excepting Jack Palance, who did an incredible job in the role in the 1973 TV movie Dan Curtis made. The problem with the Dracula films starring him & Cushing together is that only the 1st is really a classic. Dracula AD 1972 has a great opening scene, & some interesting ideas, but is let down by a script that borders on camp. And The Satanic Rites Of Dracula is just a mess. Cushing as Van Helsing was actually better served, (after Horror Of Dracula), in Brides Of Dracula, & even in The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires, even if that movie is too often a hot mess of a vampire/kung fu mashup. At least it is a different take on the genre, & is always fun to watch.

Lee's other Hammer Dracula films are of varying degrees of quality, but are all fun in general. Dracula, Prince Of Darkness, the 1st followup to HOD with Lee, benefits from HOD's director Terence Fisher at the helm again, (just as he was in Brides), & is nearly the equal of Horror & Brides. I also like Taste The Blood Of Dracula, directed by Peter Sasdy.

I think that's why films like Legend, Kronos, Kiss & Vampire Circus have such appeal to me, (the Carmilla trilogy also fits in here); as they were attempts to broaden the overall scope of the Hammer vampire genre.

21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Halloween (2018)

it was ok

22. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

In the run up to Halloween, I watch the various versions, reboots, and sequels of Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, etc. On Halloween, I usually go to the classics - the Universal Monsters. I really like the monsterfests - House of Dracula, House of Frankenstein, or Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman. (or, as an alternate, the joyous Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein). They're not great as compared to the original films, but I like squeezing as many monsters as I can into the evening.

Last night, my kid had a terrific Halloween (and came through with a serious haul of Snickers bars) and the mood was too up so I went with Young Frankenstein, which like a Snickers bar, always satisfies.

23. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

My Little Pony - Apocalyptic Rainbow

24. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Q: What are you watching on Halloween night?

A: The snow fall on my jack 'o lantern

25. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Last night's lineup...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Prophetzong likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.