What are you watching on Halloween night?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Prophetzong, Oct 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Will probably cross-post this in the "Last Movie You Watched" thread.

Every Halloween, it's now become a tradition for me to watch John Carpenter's The Fog (1980). It's actually set on what is known as Walpurgis Night and not Halloween, and its scares often have more to do with atmosphere and a creeping sense of dread (there are several jump scares, reportedly added as reshoots, which come off quite clunky) over blood and gore. Still, I love this film and its setting (an affluent coastal CA town called Antonio Bay) which becomes more oppressive as the movie goes on. It boasts 3 strong female lead roles (by Jamie Lee Curtis, her real life mother Janet Leigh, and Adrienne Barbeau in her cinematic debut as radio personality Stevie Wayne). Excellent and haunting cinematography by Carpenter regular Dean Cundey. The film gets better and seems less choppy with each viewing, and I pick up on more details I missed originally (Jamie Lee Curtis' character's first name is Elizabeth, and the name of the leprous pirate's ship is the Elizabeth Dane; the town also begins to fall apart when she arrives, much like her mother Leigh's similar role in Hitchcock's The Birds). Definitely a favorite film of mine, 9/10

[​IMG]

Prophetzong, Bluesman Mark and Karnak like this.
  2. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

This
    [​IMG]

Listed in the horror category. It should not have been. Still enjoyable in a slight fashion.

3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It drags considerably in parts, but has some scenes of very potent horror and trippy effects for a TV film. A lot of that comes from Tobe Hooper's directorial craft and Stephen King's eerie story. Certainly one of my favorites.

Wish there was a widescreen transfer of it--I believe all existing prints are in 4:3 or something similar.

Prophetzong likes this.
  4. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident Thread Starter

you are correct on all points.

5. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Traditionally I watch HALLOWEEN '78 and HALLOWEEN II '81 back to back with the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

This year I changed it up a bit. HALLOWEEN, THE BROOD and THE FLY '86.

Prophetzong likes this.
  6. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I watched Paprika and Perfect Blue, both Japanese psychological-thriller anime films and my favorites of the genre.

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Watched Night of the Living Dead
    (Criterion Blu-ray)

started Dracula (1931) Spanish
    (finished the next day)

Jimi Bat and Bluesman Mark like this.
  8. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Watched The Devil Rides Out, a terrific Hammer film with Christopher Lee and Charles Gray.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  9. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Watched 1981 The Evil Dead with my daughter. She was suitably horrified every step of the way.

best Halloween in many a year!

10. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

This year I watched Halloween II. It had its moments but I couldn’t help but think how much better it might have been if Carpenter had directed this one as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.