Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

What are you watching on the Criterion Channel?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Electric, Jan 2, 2020.

1. stepeanut

stepeanut Holmes Boy

I own them all on BD, most in more than one edition. Tarkovsky is one of my favourite filmmakers. He never made anything that was trivial, or unworthy of watching multiple times. His filmography is small enough, and easily available, that you should have no trouble viewing them all.

Ivan’s Childhood is one of the most assured debuts ever, I think, and one of the best (anti-) war films. It’s also Tarkovsky’s most conventional, straightforward narrative film, so be prepared for things to get a lot longer, and stranger, from here on in. You’ve already had a taste of that with Solaris.

Enjoy!

2. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I have been meaning to watch all his films for a long time. He is the favorite director of a friend of mine so I have constantly heard about him for years. The problem was before the Criterion Channel they were not the easiest movies to track down without actually buying them. Now I’m hooked! I just watched Stalker and can’t believe it took me this long to see it! Wow! Amazing movie.

I wish Criterion had all of his films playing on the channel.

Electric likes this.
  3. stepeanut

stepeanut Holmes Boy

Criterion’s deal is with Mosfilm, the Russian state-owned film corporation.

The rights to Tarkovsky’s two post-Mosfilm productions, Nostalghia and The Sacrifice, understandably lie elsewhere. Both are easy enough to find on BD from other distributors.

Criterion just announced their forthcoming BD of Mirror, the last of their Tarkovsky releases under the Mosfilm deal.

Electric and palisantrancho like this.
  4. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage Thread Starter

This is a wonderful documentary, particularly if you like books and collecting:

The Booksellers
    Directed by D. W. Young • 2019 • United States

D. W. Young’s elegant and absorbing documentary is a lively tour of New York’s book world, populated by an assortment of obsessives, intellects, eccentrics, and dreamers, past and present: from the Park Avenue Armory’s annual Antiquarian Book Fair, where original editions can fetch hundreds of thousands of dollars; to the Strand and Argosy bookstores, still standing against all odds; to the beautifully crammed apartments of collectors and buyers. Executive produced by Parker Posey, THE BOOKSELLERS features colorful commentary from Fran Lebowitz, Susan Orlean, Gay Talese, and a community of dedicated book dealers and collectors who believe fervently in the wonder of the object and what it holds within.

[​IMG]

palisantrancho likes this.
  5. Electric

Another great Cassavetes that, as usual, takes it time:

Minnie and Moskowitz
    Directed by John Cassavetes • 1971 • United States
    Starring Gena Rowlands, Seymour Cassel, Val Avery

John Cassavetes puts his distinctive spin on the screwball comedy in this endearingly offbeat odd-couple romance. Just when Minnie (Gena Rowlands) thinks she’ll never fall in love again, she meets Seymour Moskowitz (Seymour Cassel), a misfit parking-lot attendant who ardently pursues her. Throwing caution to the wind, Minnie embarks on a wildly romantic, tumultuous, and painful courtship that—as always in the cinema of Cassavetes—exposes the gloriously messy extremes of human relationships.

[​IMG]

palisantrancho and GreggF like this.
  6. Electric

A film on photography!

William Eggleston in the Real World
    Directed by Michael Almereyda • 2005 • United States

Renowned as the father of modern color photography for his hallucinatory, Faulknerian images, William Eggleston has exerted an incalculable influence on the shape of contemporary art. In this remarkably unguarded portrait, director Michael Almereyda offers an intimate glimpse of the artist on the road in Los Angeles and New York and at home in Memphis, Tennessee, in the process revealing Eggleston’s parallel interests in music, drawing, and video as well as the deep connections between his enigmatic personality and his groundbreaking work.

[​IMG]

jwstl and ~dave~~wave~ like this.