What are you watching on the Criterion Channel?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Electric, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage Thread Starter

Only in the Continue Watching area, AFAIK.

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Ugh. I hate that there’s no easy way to clear that out either

3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

My recent viewing:

Sign O’ the Times - Loved this Prince concert film. I never got to see him live, this film definitely gave me a good sense of his live experience.

The Song Remains the Same - I hadn’t seen this Led Zeppelin concert doc since I was in my early 20s. The period bits of fantasy drama have not aged well, the rest was a lot of fun. I hadn’t realized way back when that most of the concert was actually a recreation done on a soundstage with bits of the Madison Square Garden shows inserted here and there.

The Marriage of Maria Braun - A film I’ve known if for decades yet hadn’t managed to see. I thought it was great and will certainly be watching more Fassbinder in future.

Radio On - I stumbled on this one over the weekend. It’s very much a British version if a Wim Wenders 1970’s road trip movies, and was beautifully shot by Wenders Asst. Cameraman, and gas Alice In the Cities star Lisa Kreuzer essentially playing same role, though with a different name. Given that I signed up specifically to see a couple of those Wenders features, Radio On was a nice surprise.

The Kid - At last I’ve the Chaplin classic and will watch more of his films down the line.

4. guidedbyvoices

I wouldn’t say MOST of the film was a soundstage recreation. They redid some stuff to fill in gaps missing (and also is why they ended up doing the fantasy stuff) but there’s plenty of real MSG footage.

I’ve seen a bunch of silents but that was the first one to really move me. Such a great film

aroney and longdist01 like this.
  5. guidedbyvoices

Elevator to the Gallows. I own it still on blu, but it was just easier to stream and I was in the mood for it.

6. ccarty

ccarty Hyperactive!

I keep a spreadsheet with all the details including the date watched.

7. Electric

Looking forward to watching these one by one, except for Slacker which I've seen a million times.:

[​IMG]

8. This collection seems to be missing some of the films listed, at least in Canada. It doesn’t include Boyhood, Me and Orson Welles, and Bernie. What’s the deal?

9. Electric

Try a VPN.

10. Electric

Phenomenal! A must see for its absurdity and brilliance.

A Scanner Darkly
    Directed by Richard Linklater • 2006 • United States
    Starring Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Woody Harrelson

In a not-too-distant future where America has lost its “war” on drugs, Fred (Keanu Reeves), an undercover cop, is one of many people hooked on the popular drug Substance D, which causes its users to develop split personalities. Fred is obsessed with taking down Bob, a notorious drug dealer—unaware that Bob is actually his own alternate personality. Filmed in live-action and then animated using the same groundbreaking process he employed in WAKING LIFE, Richard Linklater’s innovative adaptation of the novel by legendary sci-fi writer Philip K. Dick is a journey into the absurd, a place where identities and loyalties are impossible to decode, and where no one can be trusted—not even oneself.
    [​IMG]

SmallDarkCloud, jwoverho and NickySee like this.
  11. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Sign o' the Times (1987, Prince)
    Classic Prince performances promoting songs from the '87 double album Sign o' the Times and some well known hits spliced together between live road dates and his concert hall at Paisley Park, Minnesota. One of his best concerts on film.

SmallDarkCloud and Electric like this.
  12. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The True Adventures of Raoul Walsh (2019, Marilyn Ann Moss)
    This 2019 documentary by Marilyn Ann Moss, based on her book “Raoul Walsh: The True Adventures of Hollywood’s Legendary Director,” provides an overview of Walsh’s career, from his work as an actor in silent cinema to the over two hundred films he directed, into the 1960s. It includes excerpts from Walsh’s memoir and interviews with filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich; actors Illeana Douglas, Jane Russell, and Jack Larson; media historian Norman Klein; and film critic Leonard Maltin.

Not my usual cup of tea but the doc may shed some light on what it meant to be an early Hollywood power broker. Also, Criterion is featuring 3 of Walsh's classic yarns - High Sierra, The Man I Love and They Drive By Night.

13. Electric

Making my way through the Linklater films. This is very well done:

Me and Orson Welles
    Directed by Richard Linklater • 2009 • United States
    Starring Zac Efron, Christian McKay, Claire Danes

Richard Linklater tells the ribald tale of a single week that changed theater, film, and American culture forever—a story of the founding of the Mercury Theatre, seven days of mass marital infidelity, and one teenager’s vault to stardom. In 1937, teenager Richard Samuels (Zac Efron) lucks into a starring role in a production of “Julius Caesar” directed by Orson Welles. Welles’s theater company and career ride on the success of his reimagining of Shakespeare’s classic play, even as the charismatic and sometimes cruel director engages in an extramarital affair with his leading lady. In a stroke of either genius or madness, Welles decides that the production would benefit from extramarital affairs between all his cast and crew. Now, as he pairs his stars and stage hands, young Richard maneuvers to be matched with the ambitious production assistant (Claire Danes) who has caught his eye.

[​IMG]

14. Electric

And this documentary overview of Linklater and his films:

Richard Linklater: Dream Is Destiny
    Directed by Louis Black and Karen Bernstein • 2016 • United States
    Starring Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy

[​IMG]

NickySee likes this.
  15. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Fantastic! You should watch the other two films in the BRD trilogy if you have not seen them yet. Veronica Voss and Lola.

LaBowe and DigMyGroove like this.
  16. palisantrancho

This was pretty wild and a quick watch.

Murders in the Zoo

Directed by A. Edward Sutherland • 1933 • United States
    Starring Charles Ruggles, Lionel Atwill, Gail Patrick

Startlingly perverse even by pre-Code standards, this grisly tale of murder and madness stars an unforgettably maniacal Lionel Atwill as wealthy zoologist Eric Gorman, who becomes jealously enraged by any man who expresses interest in his wife (Kathleen Burke). While on a jungle excursion, Gorman hits upon a dastardly scheme for offing those who cross him: using his knowledge of animal behavior to dispose of his victims. Shocking violence and wisecracking comedy come together for a uniquely twisted slice of 1930s horror.
    [​IMG]

17. palisantrancho

Beautifully filmed and an interesting movie for fans of Bergman or Swedish cinema.

Miss Julie

Directed by Alf Sjöberg • 1951 • Sweden
    Starring Anita Björk, Ulf Palme

Swedish filmmaker Alf Sjöberg’s visually innovative, Cannes Grand Prix-winning adaptation of August Strindberg’s renowned 1888 play brings to scalding life the excoriating words of the stage’s preeminent surveyor of all things rotten in the state of male-female relations. MISS JULIE vividly depicts the battle of the sexes and classes that ensues when a wealthy businessman’s daughter (Anita Björk, in a fiercely emotional performance) falls for her father’s bitter servant. Celebrated for its unique cinematic style (and censored upon its first release in the United States for its adult content), Sjöberg’s film was an important turning point in Scandinavian cinema.
    [​IMG]

NickySee and Electric like this.
  18. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

I like the Sjöberg version quite a lot. Have you seen the RSC version with Helen Mirren in the lead role? Watching it now...

[​IMG]

It's apparently more of a film record of the '72 stage play than feature film but the talent is impressive.

Electric and palisantrancho like this.
  19. palisantrancho

Thanks. I have never seen it. I believe Bergman also did a stage play of it in the 80s.

NickySee likes this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

Started it four times late at night, finally finished High Sierra. Really enjoyed it, just not wise to start a new movie so late after watching other things with the kids! Interesting spin on the heist flick with Bogie ditching the hired men for Ida Lupino as his trusted sidekick. The comic relief with the black actor, making him simple and go cross-eyed was a bit of a cringe but there’s some good extras attached to the flick including one on that actor that was solid and put some perspective on it. Glad to have finally seen this one.

NickySee and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  21. guidedbyvoices

A out 40 minutes of Parallax View last night. Couldn’t get into it, we’ll see if I try and finish it tonight

22. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

I have started watching the Godzilla films … I believe 14 of the 15 that are in the Godzilla boxset (Spine 1000) are available on the channel … watched 4 films so far.

NickySee likes this.
  23. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

24. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    It's Always Fair Weather (1955, Gene Kelly & Stanley Donen)
    The film centers on three World War II buddies (Gene Kelly, Dan Dailey, and Michael Kidd) who vow to reunite for old time’s sake in ten years. Not among the most heralded of the Kelly-Donen collaborations and a decade had passed since V-J Day. The title should have alerted the movie-going public that this wasn't Singin' In The Rain II. The cynicism had to be expected but instead of dampening the energy it provides a nice edge to this post-war romp. And as long as he's dancing I'll watch Kelly in anything. In the clip above Donen commented on Kelly shortly after the dancer/actor passed in 1996.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    SmallDarkCloud and Electric like this.
  25. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I watched Autumn Sonata late last night, and now I feel the need to call my mother to thank her for being so wonderful...

It is a great film, but ouch.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs