What are you watching on the Criterion Channel?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Electric, Jan 2, 2020.

1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Wonderfully entertaining, even though the premise doesn't quite cohere (I think the script needed another draft). Wryly cynical about the then new medium of television, so quite prescient! And the roller skating sequence is, imo, actually Gene's very best dance number. The roller skating motion really boosted his energy and grace.

SmallDarkCloud and Electric like this.
  2. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage Thread Starter

It was a surprise how much full frontal nudity is in this film and only 1956. Then again, it is French.

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Hadnt seen this before, newman's great in it. Looked great, enjoyed watching this one.,

Hud

Directed by Martin Ritt • 1963 • United States
    Starring Paul Newman, Melvyn Douglas, Patricia Neal

In one of his defining roles, Paul Newman stars as the titular “man with the barbed-wire soul,” the rotten-through-and-through progeny of a Texas ranchman (Melvyn Douglas) whose hard-drinking, womanizing, shiftless ways lead to an explosive rift within the household. Featuring Academy Award–winning cinematography in striking, high-contrast black and white by the great James Wong Howe, this blistering revisionist western offers a starkly unromanticized vision of the frontier.

Show less
    SUBSCRIBE WATCH TRAILER SHARE
    [​IMG]

palisantrancho, NickySee and Electric like this.
  4. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Accused of Murder (1956)

Unintentionally campy, but fun. I won’t give away some of the interesting historical tidbits in the film. Recommended.

jupiter8 and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  5. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Music Films
    Quadrophenia

Directed by Franc Roddam • 1979 • United Kingdom
    Starring Phil Daniels, Leslie Ash, Sting

The Who’s classic rock opera “Quadrophenia” was the basis for this invigorating coming-of-age movie and depiction of the defiant, drug-fueled mod subculture of early-1960s London.

[​IMG]

Toyah Willcox as Monkey. Now married to Robert Fripp of King Crimson and making cheeky Sunday Lunch YT videos.

Toyah Willcox didn’t realise feminist aspect of Quadrophenia: 'It's liberating'

[​IMG]

Never hurts to ask:

Sent: July 3,2020
    Subject: Quadrophenia
    To: [email protected]

I'd like to see Quadrophenia from the Criterion Collection on the channel.
    Thanks.
    ---------------------------------------
    Received: July 7, 2020
    Re: Quadrophenia

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your suggestion! I've noted your interest in adding QUADROPHRENIA to the Channel.

A majority of the Criterion Collection films and Janus Films are on the Channel now, and all will be permanently available. Special features for most of the films are also available.

Over time we will continue to add films to the site, so please stay tuned for any titles you may be hoping for.

Take care,
    Drew
    ----------------------------------

6. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. :cool:

7. ~dave~~wave~

Sweet Smell of Success Collection
    Sweet Smell of Success - The Criterion Channel

[​IMG]

I had never given this 1957 film a chance, for a lot of reasons.
    Always thought of Tony Curtis, and to some extent Burt Lancaster, as hack actors.
    Bits of it I caught on TV through the years confirmed that, along with over-the-top melodramatic plot.

Watching the collection extras before subjecting myself to the main feature changed my perspective.
    I was able to appreciate it for the street cinematography etc. while tolerating the cringey aspects as "of the time."

Fun to see the actual Chico Hamilton band featured, with Marty Milner inserted as guitarist.
    Ironic to see him set up by a stereotypical jazz association with the Devil Weed.
    Back in the 70s I would do bong hits watching him play a LA cop busting hippies on Adam-12 re-runs.
    The role he will permanently be associated with.

Electric and NickySee like this.
  8. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Cutis and Lancaster, hacks? That’s new. Lancaster is one of my favorites of that generation of Hollywood “stars”; he seemed to always pick the parts that were just right for him. Never phoned in or hammed up a performance (unless the role required it) that I recall. Lancaster was like Cagney or Douglas, imo; mostly strength and a bit of hubris, but no false notes. A Lancaster search will yield a few classic performances currently streaming on the channel well worth watching.

905, palisantrancho, jupiter8 and 2 others like this.
  9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

[​IMG]
    The Ronald Coleman version of The Prisoner of Zenda is part of this collection as well. It may be James Wong Howe's best work, and that's saying something. It's one of those Selznick International Pictures titles that is a bit worse for wear, but even in SD from a non-perfect element, the lighting set-ups still shine through. It doesn't hurt that it is a super-entertaining rollicking adventure, either. :)

NickySee and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  10. ~dave~~wave~

Doubtless my perceptions are colored by rebellion against the dated style of acting & screen writing of my parents' generation.
    I liked Lancaster in some of his later roles like Atlantic City.

Won't copy/paste from Wikipedia here.
    Some good stories in the entry for this film about Lancaster.
    The movie lost money, his fans had a negative reaction, he was not happy.

After 65 years it can be seen in a different light, certainly by me.

11. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

This one fell flat for me. I was surprised, Didn’t care about the characters and too one note for me.

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  12. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

The Servant is one I had not seen and it’s brilliant. Massively brilliant in every way.

~dave~~wave~ and Electric like this.
  13. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I think this is a great one. Starts out as funny but then gets quite serious. Pryor’s character undergoes quite a change. Brilliant acting.

NickySee likes this.
  14. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I think Thief is one of the ten best films of the 1980s.

NickySee likes this.
  15. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Me so happy! Oh, and they have The Keep this month too. Watch that as well...

[​IMG]

jupiter8, Electric, NickySee and 2 others like this.
  16. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

:confused: There are EIGHT feature film versions. Haven’t seen any. It looks like a good place to start (also, I’m assuming that it’s the first talkie one). Thanks.

17. Electric

I was going to recommend Niagara with Marilyn Monroe, but I waited too long and it looks like it's gone now.

palisantrancho and nutsfortubes like this.
  18. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

19. guidedbyvoices

half slept through Bernie and starrted Across 110th St. Probably should start these before midnight...

ATR likes this.
  20. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Pretentious B.S., that Curtis and Lancaster were hacks. They were from a previous generation of true movie stars. Lancaster in particular was a multitalented performer of great physical power who performed amazing stunts. Also well known for his intellect and progressive politics. Criterion has shown collections of his classsic movies including Visconti's The Leopard and The Swimmer. Seven Days In May, Atlantic City, my goodness such a great actor from a time that people now maybe turn their noses up at. I never will. Elmer Gantry, Trapeze, Crimson Pirate, The Rainmaker, Birdman of Alcatraz...it goes on and on.

21. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Bernie was terrific, Across 110th St disappointing.

22. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

The Swimmer is incredible

Fabrice Outside and Electric like this.
  23. Electric

A cult classic!

jupiter8 likes this.
  24. Electric

Cinéma vérité British style. This film had an auspicious beginning in 1969 and then became forgotten and almost lost.

A bit of history: Bronco Bullfrog: the film the UK forgot
    The director's obituary: Barney Platts-Mills obituary

Bronco Bullfrog
    Directed by Barney Platts-Mills • 1969 • United Kingdom
    Starring Del Walker, Anne Gooding, Sam Shepherd

Seventeen-year-old Del (Del Walker), with no money and nowhere to go, breaks into train cars with his pal Bronco Bullfrog (Sam Shepherd). But one day he meets the lovely Irene (Anne Gooding), and despite an earful from his dad (and her mum), the two young lovers run away together—but to where? Shot in London’s East End in 1969, cast with Doc Marten–wearing “suedehead” locals, and set to a dynamic soundtrack by the art-rock band Audience, Barney Platts-Mills’s BRONCO BULLFROG blends the intimate-character based sensitivity of Mike Leigh and Ken Loach with early hints of the hard, wild edges that would come to define the punk movement in the following decade. After a minuscule American release following its Edinburgh and Cannes premieres, this unsung counterculture anthem returns over fifty years later as a cult landmark.

[​IMG]

25. guidedbyvoices

Sometimes when it’s really late and I know I won’t make it a full movie I’ll check out some of the Adventures in Moviegoing. I really enjoyed the Alan Arkin one - he’s interviewed by his son Adam Arkin. I wouldn’t have guessed they have a lot of love for French cinema like Renoir. A very enjoyable discussion.

Electric likes this.