What are your biggest remaining video wants?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Complete series releases of the following sitcoms:
    Love on a Rooftop
    He and She
    The Good Life
    Second Hundred Years
    Many Happy Returns
    Occasional Wife
    Temperatures Rising
    The Paul Lynde Show
    The Little People
    Mr. Roberts
    No Time for Sergeants
    Wendy and Me
    The Bill Dana Show
    The Tycoon
    Baileys of Balboa
    Adam's Rib
    Accidental Family
    Karen
    Harris Against The World
    Tom, Dick and Mary
    The Smothers Brothers Show (sitcom)
    To Rome With Love
    Governor and JJ
    Blondie (color)
    The Queen and I
    Run Buddy Run
    The Good Guys
    Hey Landlord
    The Jean Arthur Show
    Pistols 'n' Petticoats
    The Farmers Daughter
    Hennesey
    Rango
    The Double Life of Henry Phyfe
    The Hero

See, unlike movie collectors, you have your movies and just want to see them in higher quality on your 100 inch screens. Of the shows I listed, I have copies ranging from most of the series to none at all. What I do have are mostly Frankenstein sets. Some off air and badly cut, some black and white prints of color shows, etc. Believe me, I would be happy with ANY releases on these shows.

Sorry for the interruption. Please go back to wishing for 4K upgrades on stuff you already have.

showtaper, HGN2001 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

While I'm not familiar with most of the titles you've listed, I'm always in favor of more vintage TV on DVD :)

And I do get where you're coming from with the 4K/UHD requests... I understand wanting the best picture, sound, etc., but for so many shows (and movies) a nice DVD/Blu-Ray release should suffice... I mean I remember the days of an on top of the roof and antenna and hoping to get the picture to come in half-way decent with the rabbit ears... Anything higher than that picture is alright by me... :)

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Mookie Burnett

Mookie Burnett Well-Known Member

All of the "In Concert" and "Don Kirshner's Rock Concerts" from the 70's. I understand they're in a vault somewhere.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

You have much better odds of a lot of this stuff showing up on a streaming service at some point in the next 10 to 15 year than you do DVD/Blu-Ray.

5. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I'm with all the requests thus far for early SCTV shows.

6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

A HD release of Scorsese's genius After Hours. It was supposed to have been released on blu ray in Italy some time ago - I was waiting months for any news on that disc and all of a sudden, it got cancelled! :realmad:

7. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

I'd like to add to that a complete collection of all The Midnight Special episodes in their entirety. Love the partial collections that have been put out on dvd over the years...but those just whet your appetite for all the rest of 'em!

Kirk76 likes this.
  8. James Slattery

In Concert was ABC and they were known to wipe tapes. I would doubt that many of them survive.

9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I recall most of the series on your list, some of them even somewhat fondly, but my collecting tastes are not nearly so extensive. While I wouldn't mind SEEING an episode or two of some of those shows, I really have no desire to collect them. I think the one exception to that is the show I read through this entire thread to find and weigh in on, HENNESEY.

I really enjoyed watching that show when I was a kid, and remember both the comedy and dramatic aspects of it, and I recall thinking that it was indeed odd to have a supposed sitcom that could also tug at your heartstrings. In many ways it was preparatory to my liking M*A*S*H, a show with which it has a lot in common.

The couple, two, three episodes that circle around on YouTube only whet my appetite for a full-series DVD release. I'm not that picky - a DVD release will suffice for me, as long as the episodes are treated with a little care and respect in their mastering.

I don't hold out much hope that HENNESEY will ever appear in an upgraded home format anytime soon, but it would be a day-one purchase for me. Surprises DO happen. I never thought that I'd see a DVD release of the 90's science fiction show from UPN called SEVEN DAYS, but I now own the set and am enjoying watching the episodes all over again as I did on those nights it aired just before STAR TREK: VOYAGER.

10. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Quite possible with the Kirshner shows, as they've been released throughout the years on DVD. "In Concert", not so likely.
    Unquestionably the Holy Grail of live music on television, I've heard from so many people over the years, both from inside and outside the industry, that those tapes no longer exist. Whether those 2'' tapes were wiped and later re-used, or simply tossed as a means to avoid storage logistics,
    they are long gone. Unfortunate.
    The few that I've managed to obtain over the years came from private collectors with varying degrees of quality.

11. James Slattery

I was instrumental in getting the Star TV Network to acquire Hennesey. Unfortunately the network, which was a satellite service which stations could run as much or as little programming as they liked, ran into financial problems rather quickly and only lasted a few months. Hence, they only ran around a quarter of the episodes. I'm thankful to at least have those. The show changed ownership several times and was actually among the assets of a station in Rhode Island, which was purchased by NBC. Good luck ever finding anyone there who even knows of the show's existence, let alone where to access the elements. You'd have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa.

12. Linus

Linus Senior Member

The Wild Westerners - a B grade western starring Guy Mitchell and Duanne Eddy!!
    Best western ever but I’ve never seen it for sale on DVD

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

14. zonkaraz

zonkaraz Forum Resident

I want 3 silent films on blu-ray

Greed
    The Wind
    The Crowd

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  15. Wes Moynihan

Wes Moynihan Red hot funkster

Strange that this one has yet to make it to DVD....

[​IMG]

Claus LH likes this.
  16. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

O Lucky Man! on Blu-ray. The iTunes 1080p version looks great. I keep hoping Criterion will release it, since they did If.... a long time ago. It would also be nice to get a good scan of A Clockwork Orange on Blu-ray.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I want a complete run of The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet on DVD fully restored with all of the original promo spot commercials in a complete series set.

Kirk76 likes this.
  18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Message-Curtis-Mayfield-Impressions/dp/B0014JKL6Y

This DVD had 2-3 songs from ABC "In Concert". The video looked to be sourced from a VHS fan copy, but the audio was from a stereo FM source. Quite satisfying once you get past a bit of visual artifacts.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  19. A good restoration with extras and the expanded original directors cut of Phase IV.

20. Wes Moynihan

Wes Moynihan's 115th Dream....

[​IMG]

stepeanut likes this.
  21. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Good choices, all! The Kid Brother has been high on my Blu-Ray wish list for several years as it's one of my favorite Harold Lloyd silents. Finally, Criterion has it scheduled for release in March!

The Kid Brother :goodie:

:cheers:
    Cat

zonkaraz likes this.
  22. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Yep, I’d go with that. The full, four-hour shebang.

Also, Lindsay Anderson’s O Lucky Man! on BD.

And Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid.

Wes Moynihan likes this.
  23. Wes Moynihan

Quite simply my all time favourite Western and that's saying much, beating out My Darling Clementine and The Good the Bad and the Ugly...

nlgbbbblth and stepeanut like this.
  24. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Mine, too. Although I have strong opinions on the 2005 Paul Seydor cut. I’d like to see that cut put aside, as a well-meaning mistake. My ideal BD would be a two-disc version of the film, with fully restored versions of the original 1973 theatrical cut and the 1988 Turner preview cut, with the scene between Garrett and his wife restored to the latter, as per Peckinpah’s own personal print of the film.

Wes Moynihan likes this.
  25. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Russ Meyer films easily available on region A Blu-ray at a reasonable price.

zephyr25 and fr in sc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.