What are your Discogs pet peeves?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Strat-Mangler, Apr 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honestly, this has to be a major concern for collectors and sellers alike. If you have more than a handful of items in your collection, you wouldn't even notice them go missing. From a collection of thousands-I'm probably missing dozens of items I painstakingly entered with what seemed to be all relevant matrices and condition and detailed notes.

Surely this must be the biggest pet peeve ever.

UnknownEric likes this.
  2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I have almost 7,000 and it happens a lot. I only catch it if I happen to look back at an artist's discography and see something obvious.

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  3. This is one seriously significant Discogs flaw.

4. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

I had no idea this even happened. I guess this means that I need to keep a running tab on my total number of entries on a post it next to my computer and when I see it drop, go into the Releases Recently Merged page to try and catch what happened and reenter it. Sucks, but I'm on discogs for one reason or another every day, so hopefully can catch any loss from a merge. Question I'll probably never answer is how many of my entries I've already lost!

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That's so odd. A lot of my entries have been merged but they always stay in my collection. I've never had any of them disappear as "ownership" transfers to the new merged entry. I wonder if, in your case, the original entry was actually removed and a new entry was created??

I also vote on 100% of the merge requests I get a notice for so I generally keep track but I'll be more vigilant in case I missed any that were merged and then dropped from my collection.

6. Yeah, not sure what the protocol is for merges but it appears that items do get scrubbed..ie: A gets merged with B so if you have B, you keep the entry but if you have A, you don't.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

(edit)

The answer was given to my question. Nevermind.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  8. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

There is always a newbie or a sloppy record dealer/store who adds images of later pressings, tray card images from different countries, etc. to screw up your listings. Then some will enter the data from the wrong images and screw them up worse. I try to keep an eye on the recent changes to listings with particular attention to images and BaOI of stuff I own, but it is hard to take time to review all of them. Some people clearly have no business making edits at all.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've never had an item disappear in a merge. I thought that the whole point of it was to save the buyer's and seller's wants and items for sale?

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah pretty sure when A and B are merged into B, anyone with A in their collection, is now moved to B. A then exists in draft form.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

There have been a few I found in my collection that started out as one pressing, some ***** uploaded pictures of another pressing, then it got changed to that pressing, even though the original submission details clearly pointed out it was not that pressing. I corrected some but apparently the accepted policy is that if the hijack is old then leave it as is and just resubmit the original version. But I always try and correct it first.

I do keep an eye on updates now, especially when someone changes a major detail or adds images.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I finished what felt like a good covid-19 era blowout of some stuff I had wanted to sell for many years. Not exactly top titles, but lots of late 60s vintage, and still sealed items, exotica, unique TV / Film soundtracks, Spoken Word, Children's Disney LP in NM condition (the ones with picture booklets in the gatefolds, and thrift store finds. Just tons of really clean items I have no desire to carry into my later years as a listener. So after those sales cooled off about mid-June I shut down all international sales. From here on out it is going to be required that the buyers contact me, and ask about an items sent outside of the US. And we'll talk, and I'll be under the impression that the deal will not materialize due to high costs on their end and high risk on mine.

Plus it is a hassle to deal with it. I want the whole Discogs thing to be easy cash flow, always putting $20s and $50s into my pocket with little effort, I mean little effort once you've loaded up your store with lots of goodies. The grading and pricing is time-consuming, and some work. But once it is done, the packing and shipping is not too bad.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You would then never get to know the value of your collection. And for many, that is the point of the effort.

If that is all you want to do, nobody is stopping you from selecting the first US copy of KOB on CD or LP from the list and stating you have it. If you don't care that it is the correct version/issue, then nobody else does either. Go for it!

The new beta version of Discogs is to display pictures of the releases on the list making it easier for those that hate to look for the year (if they have an idea), and the country to find the exact issue. I tend to search for general year, and find the country and click on that, and usually, it is the one - if they have the one I am looking for at all. With Classical, I am finding that there will be dozens of DG label issues of a title and not a US polygram pressed DG release. Just Europe, Germany, and then Japan and different covers and LPs. I put the items aside with plans to create the entry at some point later which I don't mind doing now that I learned how to do it quickly after taking the square cellphone pictures of my items.

14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Fair points. Maybe when you add a specific release it automatically checks the main release as a title, not as a release, just as text. What can I say, I want the best of both Worlds.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I can imagine a situation where you have put together your collection in very roughly the correct issues (but not all), and then 3 or 4 years down the road decide that you want it to be exact and correct and must do most of the work all over again.

Best is to do it right the first time.

Dave and GentleSenator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.