What are your "fab four" Beatles books for the famous desert island?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by If I Can Dream_23, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know there have been several threads devoted to Beatles books, but none with this precise heading I hope. After all, what fun is it discussing the Beatles if we can't tackle the same topic in a hundred different ways? :laugh:

First off, even four hundred books isn't enough to capture their full impact, musical legacy, cultural imprint, and enduring fascination. Nonetheless, if you had to filter through your bookshelf and attempt the impossible - pulling out four select favorites - what would they be? They don't need to be the four most popular Beatles books. Or the four most "impressive", etc. Just the four you enjoy the best and would return to the most frequently.

After much pondering, I pulled these fab four off the shelf...

1. The Beatles Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn
    Simply put, this is not only the most important and referenced book on The Beatles, but probably the single most important book on any pop band of the last century. Mostly because it is the blueprints laid open for the world to see - precisely how, where, and when the Beatles made their most significant contribution - their music.

2. Anthology
    This book remains the best one out there, in my opinion, of archiving the comprehensive and colorful "collage" that was not only The Beatles, but the entire 1960's. Even the layout is like a stylistic metaphor for the band's frenzied and fast-changing rise. It's like the cries and joys of Beatlemania expressed in fragments and snapshots onto page. It also is, perhaps, the closest all-encompassing book that is out there in terms of the surviving (at the time) members of the band sharing a comprehensive reflection of their own story. Browse through it while watching the FABulous "Anthology" DVD set and you have a breath-taking and visual view of the 20th century's most important group.

3. The Beatles On Vee-Jay Records by Bruce Spizer
    If I could cheat, I wouldn't hesitate to just grab all of Bruce Spizer's books and take them to the island! Since I'm playing fair, I think this first labor of love in regards to the Beatles American records remains my favorite.

4. Summer Of Love - The Making Of Sgt Pepper by George Martin
    When it came to that fourth and final selection, the door was wide open. I decided my fourth selection should be a book devoted to what I feel is the pinnacle, or most lasting, apex of the Beatles work. That would be 1967's Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. There are no shortage of memorable texts out there devoted to this landmark. Especially seeing this was its glorious 50th! I wanted to pick one of the new books currently on bookshelves. I even pondered adding the book inside the deluxe box set as a selection! But I decided to go back and take this one. All these books may have their minuses, all may not be 100% complete, and all of them may go over a lot of the same material. Still, what better way to forever read about "the album of the century" than through the eyes, knowledge, and remembrances of the man that ultimately guided and directed the Beatles towards making their seemingly impossible imaginative ideas come true on tape. Which, in that vein, may I also recommend "Here, There & Everywhere" by Geoff Emerick (but now I'm cheating and I already said I wouldn't). :)

Well, there we have it. I leave behind about 200 other worthy candidates and make my way to the island with just these four. Feel free to pick your "Fab Four" when it comes to the printed page. And bring a pina colada! :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Rorsontherun, Bill, Jacline and 4 others like this.
  2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions - Mark Lewisohn

3. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Beatles Chronicles, Recording Sessions & Tune In by yer boy Lewisohn would by my first three choices. Then Anthology and lastly, probably The Beatles' Gear by Andy Babiuk. That'll do me.

Paul J, Jacline, drum_cas and 4 others like this.
  4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Hopefully I could bundle Way Beyond Compare + That Magic Feeling by John C. Winn, which are essentially volumes one and two that chronicle every shred of audio + video that had surfaced at the time of its writing. That would be #1 for me. Second would have to be Eight Arms To Hold You by Mark Easter and the other guy, although with each passing year it's becoming more and more outdated and could really use an update. Third would be (if I could) the trilogy of books by Harry Castleman and Walter J. Podrazik. Those books are even more outdated, but they were the first real discography of the group ever printed and what originally turned me into a Beatle record hound. Fourth would be The Complete Beatles Chronicle by Lewisohn, because, well, you know... And fifth is another nostalgic book for me - The Beatles: An Illustrated Record, by Roy Carr and Tony Tyler. It was the first time I had ever read anyone write honest criticism of the Beatles records (especially the solo catalog), and although even the latest pressing cuts off at 1980 (what I wouldn't give for a full update!), this is still a book that I simply must have in my collection.

Jacline, Lewisboogie, Suncola and 2 others like this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The Bob Spitz one is my favourite.

6. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Can't Buy Me Love - Jonathan Gould. A sharp analysis unafraid to skewer where appropriate. I look forward to his (official) Otis Redding bio.

Jacline and Binni like this.
  7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Lewisohn book (and most others) would be depressing unless I had the music to refer to.

I'd trade in my four books for a Solar powered media player and a download of the film, A Hard Days Night. On nights when I don't watch the movie, I'd use the screen to try to signal passing ships.

8. I remember being super excited when the mammoth Recording the Beatles was first published and immediately bought a copy. However, I ended up finding its size and level of detail a bit too overwhelming and eventually sold it off without getting too far into it. However, being stranded on a desert island would certainly afford the opportunity to finally give it the attention it deserves.

My other main choice would be the equally mammoth Beatles Complete Scores - as long as I was able to bring along either a guitar or keyboard (or preferably both) to entertain myself with.

Those two on their own would probably be enough to keep me plenty busy...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  9. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Revolution in the Head by Ian McDonald; it's not without its strange theories (Michelle the real first solo-recording by Paul?) but very readable!
    Mark Lewisohn- Complete Recording Sessions

ProfBoz, JoeOnWheels, Jacline and 9 others like this.
  10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Recording Sessions
    Anthology
    Many Years From Now
    Black Market Beatles

11. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

'Shout' written by Philip Norman...IMO one of the best bios of the Beatles.
    Other books..primarily reference books are 'Beatles Gear' by Andy Babiuk.
    'Looking Through You' is a great Beatles picture book featuring photos that were published in the monthly Beatles Book magazine...great insight into the early days of Beatlemania....and finally 'The Beatles Are Coming'...by Bruce Spizer...which transports you back to the events that led to the Beatles first invasion of America back in 1964.

Suncola likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions - Mark Lewisohn would be ideal though I'd get frustrated I couldn't access the music. So for a fun read Alan Williams :The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  13. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The Beatles & Some Other Guys: Rock Family Trees of the Early Sixties by Pete Frame
    Pete Frame documents rock history like no other.

groundharp likes this.
  14. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

For everything after 1970: "Eight Arms To Hold You" by Chip Madinger and Mark Easter

Lewisboogie and georgwithoutane like this.
  15. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

1. Recording the Beatles by Brian Kehew & Kevin Ryan
    2. The Beatles Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn
    3. All These Years (Vol 1) by Mark Lewisohn
    4. All These Years (Vols 2 & 3) (if they ever get completed).
    Failing that I'd take Way Beyond Compare and That Magic Feeling by John C Winn.

16. Maurice Bursztynski

Maurice Bursztynski Drummer, Singer, Podcaster.

I'd also grab those Lewisohn books, but just for a different slant, I'd also grab:

Beatletoons - Mitch Axelrod. The only book to tell the story behind the creation of the Saturday morning cartoon series.

The Beatles Down Under - Glenn A. Baker. As far as the rest of the world was concerned, the Fabs may as well disappeared into the Bermuda Triangle, but this book is THE one to describe the 3 Fellini weeks (Lennon's description) they toured Australia and New Zealand.

gillcup and Suncola like this.
  17. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

+1 for Revolution in the Head by Ian McDonald

18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Many Years From Now
    Anthology

And then these two sentimental favorites. Don't care if they're not really the 'best' books. I loved them so much when I was a kid, and if I'm on an island I want these.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Revolution in the head

ProfBoz and Jacline like this.
  20. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Many good choices, but I'm surprised so many are content with just one book (especially seeing there are so many great ones on so many various Beatles topics). I could hardly narrow mine down to just four, let alone one or two!

21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Which is the biggest one? I'll take that one. More fuel for the fire.

street legal likes this.
  22. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Right now, I'd probably choose:

"Growing Up With The Beatles" -- Ron Schaumberg. This was my first Beatle book when I became a fan at the age of 10. It's probably still my favorite. I totally related to much of what the author wrote about his own life.

"The Compleat Beatles" -- two volume collection of telephone-phone sized books. Has lyrics and sheet music for all Beatles tunes, as well as histories, articles, poetry, photographs, etc. Birthday present when I turned 11.

"Shout" -- Philip Norman. Always enjoyed this history.

.... aaaaaaaaand the Mark Lewissohn juggernaut. Of course.

23. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

Recording The Beatles is the biggest by far. Weighs a bloody ton.
    Would double as a nice coffee table.

ronbow, ssmith3046 and Kevin j like this.
  24. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Anthology and Get Back

25. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Can't I just kidnap Lewisohn and take him with me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.